Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-26-2018, 09:20 AM   #1

Wireless Magnetic Tow Light Comments/Suggestions

Anyone using a wireless tow light set-up? Comments? Battery life?
TXsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-26-2018, 09:33 AM   #2

I have a friend who used them but he's wasn't happy as they scratched the paint on the car and, they're prone to falling off or being stolen. He brought me the car and within 1 hour I had it hard wired. It's not a big deal to wire up the car and use diodes for the tail/brake and turn signals. If you have a foreign car with separate turn signals, they make adapters. In the long run, it's sometimes less expensive and much easier as the only thing you have to store is the cable between your rig and car as opposed to the magnetic lights.
LJowdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 09:53 AM   #3

My take is don't do it. Just a big mess and an accident waiting to happen. These do move about and will scratch up the surface. If it was just a "one time use", I can see using them - but, if you are going to tow, get the wring done properly and solve future problems.
HighDesert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 09:58 AM   #4

I have been using a set for 2 years without issue.
My tow car has a roof rack and I zip tie the lights to the rear cross member.

They work great, and I just leave them on and drive around with them.

Battery life - I changed all the batteries at 1 year, don't know how long they would have lasted I just didn't want them to die during a trip.
deputybubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 05:43 PM   #5

I use these TM3N Pair of Individual WirelessTow Lights. Yes they are expensive, however, they do not scratch the paint, they do not fall off, and they are rechargeable, so no batteries to buy, and they can be moved from toad to toad no expensive installation. Also newer vehicles with LED lighting don't tolerate diodes in the wiring, so these work without problems.

I have used these for over 6 years without a single paint scratch or electrical problem on 3 different toads.
Old 03-26-2018, 06:11 PM   #6

We used a hard wired set on the Samurai for all of the 5 years we towed it. Early on they fell off and I built some flat metal platforms for them with "tethers" to keep that from happening again.

When we got the Tracker I wired it so I could use the lights on the vehicle. I think it's safer because all the lights, except headlights of course, are on while towing. We've been towing it for about 11 years without any problems. I still carry a set of magnetic lights, just in case.

Steve
dix39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 06:26 PM   #7

American Coach Owners Club
Wireless Magnetic Tow Light Comments/Suggestions

I made a rack from an old bike carrier that just hooked into the rear receiver hitch on my Jeep. The magnetic light bar attached to the top of that and no damage to the car at all. It is a Jeep Grand Cherokee and there just wasn't a good location that had good visibility and had metal to attach to. Worked fine. Ours were wireless from the MH but still had a 12v cord that plugged into the lighter adapter in the car. Still have the setup for use on company trucks as needed.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2845.JPG
Views:	106
Size:	392.9 KB
ID:	196900
mhudson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 08:22 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhudson View Post
I made a rack from an old bike carrier that just hooked into the rear receiver hitch on my Jeep. The magnetic light bar attached to the top of that and no damage to the car at all. It is a Jeep Grand Cherokee and there just wasn't a good location that had good visibility and had metal to attach to. Worked fine. Ours were wireless from the MH but still had a 12v cord that plugged into the lighter adapter in the car. Still have the setup for use on company trucks as needed.Attachment 196900
Good idea - I have also toyed with the idea of just bolting a piece of angle or flat bar to an old ball mount that fits in the existing receiver. I would however like to put a bike rack on the wrangler one day for bikes.
Old 03-27-2018, 09:09 PM   #9
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I don't see how the wireless units are of any advantage. Between making brackets, scratching paint and them falling off, plus the cost, just doesn't seem worth it.

Things working wirelessly, like Bluetooth, are the future, but there are some things that should be hard wired, like toads. Too many things to interfere with the signal and how do you know when they're working. Once the toad is wired, it's pretty much maintenance free.

Use what you like, but some things should just be kept simple.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 08:29 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
I don't see how the wireless units are of any advantage. Between making brackets, scratching paint and them falling off, plus the cost, just doesn't seem worth it.

Things working wirelessly, like Bluetooth, are the future, but there are some things that should be hard wired, like toads. Too many things to interfere with the signal and how do you know when they're working. Once the toad is wired, it's pretty much maintenance free.

Use what you like, but some things should just be kept simple.
This is a temp fix until someone can wire a new wrangler with LED lights
Old 03-28-2018, 09:40 AM   #11

I agree with Don, but the magnetic lights are an excellent quick fix. Harbor Freight has the wired variety for around $20.00 or less. The only problem is how to secure the wires, but I've always been able to figure that out. Wireless would take care of that. We carry the wired variety with us in the MH all the time, just in case. They worked fine for us for 5 years once I got a good flat base made for them. I don't remember any scratches, although it could happen very easily.

On the other hand, we migrated to wiring the toad and have been using that system for 11 years with no problems. I would prefer using the toads lights over magnetic simply because there are more lights burning and the toad is more visible at night. Safer?? Lighting was actually one of the things I didn't like about the dolly.

I found a spot on the Sami where I could attach a piece of metal that would be similar to a short piece of angle iron. I may have made them, but browsing through a hardware store could also turn up something suitable. I did mine that way because the hitch was often used for bike/motorbike carriers.

Steve
dix39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 11:00 AM   #12

I’m in the same boat as the OP and called Roadmaster a few minutes ago. They claim that their #154 harness will work with the Wrangler LED lights.
Old 03-28-2018, 12:10 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by lass View Post
I’m in the same boat as the OP and called Roadmaster a few minutes ago. They claim that their #154 harness will work with the Wrangler LED lights.
Hello Lass - did you order the harness? I pre-ordered their base plate. Seem like good folks.
Old 03-30-2018, 06:05 AM   #14

I’m still in research phase but you may want to jump back to the JK or JL thread. Lawdog149 did the install and posted some detailed pictures.

Tags
light, tow