Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-21-2018, 08:18 AM   #1

Wireless Tow Lights Abound

I have given up trying to wire our Rav4 for lights. The wiring is no big deal but in order to access the tail lights you have to disassemble half of the car! Well at least all the plastic side panels inside the car. They clip on and the old brittle plastic would break! I have been looking at wireless lights. Lately there seems to be more in the marketplace I liked the Pilot or Bully units ( same manufacturer) but they use penlight batteries and each light has 4 screws to access the lights. I have also seen reviews where they sometimes do not communicate with the transmitter. They can be had for about $80.00 The tow mate units are well made and used by tow truck operators. They are expensive and very industrial. Not many LED's But then I came across this unit.
https://www.ebay.ca/itm/132798090068?ul_noapp=true

Lithium battery and solar charging. Good price. I don't like the dongle. I have communicated with the seller and he answered a few questions promptly.

Here is another set. Cheap but know nothing about them.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Rechargeabl...V8BC:rk:8:pf:0

This next one looks interesting other than the strange dongle.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Lite-it-Wir...#shpCntId#shId Has anyone tried any of these lights? Comments appreciated. It appears that the Chinese mfrs. are seeing a new market. I would bet that within a few months more will enter the market and the prices will drop.
2009 Silverado Toad
moisheh is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-21-2018, 11:02 AM   #2

I use the Tow Mate wireless lights. Yes they are expensive. Yes they work every time. Yes they are rechargeable. Yes they work in all types of weather. Yes you can tow for 12+ hours on one charge. Yes they recharge fully in 4 hours. No there are no communication problems with the coach. No they do not leave scratch marks on the toad.

You get what you pay for.....
Old 10-21-2018, 12:38 PM   #3

Thanks Krob
2009 Silverado Toad
Old 11-17-2018, 03:33 PM   #4

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0237.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	182.8 KB
ID:	226351Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0238.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	138.7 KB
ID:	226352I purchased these 2 item and they attach direct to vehicle and plug into the MH. Bingo, all I had to do was change the plug out.
mikeh2obury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2018, 05:17 PM   #5

Mkle: There are lost of wired magnetic tow lights. This thread is about WIRELESS tow lights.
2009 Silverado Toad
Old 11-19-2018, 02:01 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by moisheh View Post
Mkle: There are lost of wired magnetic tow lights. This thread is about WIRELESS tow lights.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0510.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	232.7 KB
ID:	226580Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0511.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	217.1 KB
ID:	226581
Here’s pics of the set up.
mikeh2obury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 02:07 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have the TowMate wireless setup. Lifetime warranty, extended to subsequent owners. Quality product and good people. Mine plug into a live cigarette lighter port for power, or I use my Li-ion battery booster pack. Either way works.
jt
JT, Em & the boys, Kong & Baxter (rescued grey tabbies)
harleyjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 02:51 PM   #8

Mike: Thanks for the pic. Harley: I agree that the tow mate is a quality product. My Rav 4 is a PIA for mounting tow lights. There is a plastic "wing" on the rear door that rises about 3 inches above the roof line. The only place you can mount a Tow mate is on the roof. The door ( tailgate) has no empty spaces. The center of that door has the plastic spare tire carrier. The lights that Mike referenced have the magnet mounted on the back of the light. They would fit on the rear fenders under the existing tail lights. I would prefer non Chinese lights but none seem to work on our Rav. I am not sure if Mike's lights have non mar magnets. They are not wireless but running wires to below the existing tail lights would easy. I messaged the seller via E bay but have not received an answer. So many of those Ebay sellers do not even speak English although they live in California! Harley: Is your Tow mate the RV model?
2009 Silverado Toad
Old 11-19-2018, 04:28 PM   #9

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Mike: Thanks for the pic. Harley: I agree that the tow mate is a quality product. My Rav 4 is a PIA for mounting tow lights. There is a plastic "wing" on the rear door that rises about 3 inches above the roof line. The only place you can mount a Tow mate is on the roof. The door ( tailgate) has no empty spaces. The center of that door has the plastic spare tire carrier. The lights that Mike referenced have the magnet mounted on the back of the light. They would fit on the rear fenders under the existing tail lights. I would prefer non Chinese lights but none seem to work on our Rav. I am not sure if Mike's lights have non mar magnets. They are not wireless but running wires to below the existing tail lights would easy. I messaged the seller via E bay but have not received an answer. So many of those Ebay sellers do not even speak English although they live in California! Harley: Is your Tow mate the RV model?
My 2018 Ford Edge SEL also needs extensive work to make the lights work (no one has yet positively confirmed a working solution) and has plastic all over the roof vice metal. I have a single luggage rack bar and have put two pieces of metal on it that hold my magnetic wireless lights (around $80). Up high and visible, the bar straps loops through the door openings on the rear door (I don't have luggage rack rails on the roof), potential for leaks when raining but I've got some extra weather stripping. Easy to put on and take off. I got the metal at Home Depot and fastened them using U bolts to the bar. It takes real effort to remove the magnetic lights.
I've also put a piece of foam glued underneath in case the metal tilts down due to wind pressure so the glass on the sunroof does not get damaged.

Now having said all this, its sitting in garage as we cannot go snowbirding due to DW's medical issues. However it was still the cheapest and easiest solution and should get a workout next year.

HTH
Chris
cvbdsl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 05:36 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Yes it is the RV model. I mount it on the top of the liftgate of our Grand Cherokee just ahead of the plastic visor, and run the power wire in through the liftgate.
jt
JT, Em & the boys, Kong & Baxter (rescued grey tabbies)
harleyjt is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
light, lights, tow