Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 04-13-2016, 08:33 PM   #1

Wiring a toad on a dolly

I'm new to towing a car and I have a couple of very basic questions.

If your dolly has lights on it are you required to also have you toad's lights wired?

If the answer is yes, how do most people hook up the toad wiring, since the dolly is using the MH trailer socket already? Do they just splice into the dolly wiring and provide another connector to use for the toad? That feels kind of low rent.

Charlie

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-13-2016, 08:37 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Working dolly lights all tat is needed.

Tetonchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 08:53 PM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
I installed separate dual function bulb sockets in the tail light units of my towed and wired them to the front of the car using a trailer wiring harness, I spliced a four polar plug into my tow dolly harness. When I load the car I strap it down and plug in the car lights, I have stop, turn and tail lights.
Mrfix
Old 04-13-2016, 10:35 PM   #4

When I had a dolly, I went to Harbor Freight and for $20 I bought some magnetic lights that I sat on the rear of the car. I spliced wires with a plug into the dolly lights. If I was going to travel much at night I'd use them just for extra safety although some state don't require them.

Now I pull 4 down
dave&ginny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 01:57 AM   #5

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I already had the van wired for towing, then Honda said the Ody wasn't towable and we got a KK-460. I just spliced in the dolly wiring and used a 6 wire plug. Worked just fine.
Now we tow the Ody four down.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 01:58 AM   #6

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetonchief View Post
That depends on the laws of the state you're in at the time. Some require more lighting if the back of the towed are too far away from the dolly lights. Your home state laws mean nothing when talking about towing requirements, you must comply with each and every states laws you go into or through.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 05:41 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
That depends on the laws of the state you're in at the time. Some require more lighting if the back of the towed are too far away from the dolly lights. Your home state laws mean nothing when talking about towing requirements, you must comply with each and every states laws you go into or through.

Ok that makes sense. Does anybody know what the law is in Missouri?
Old 04-14-2016, 08:54 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

I don't know Missouri law but will caution that a car-in-tow is almost always governed by a different set of regulations than a "trailer", so make sure you get the right "law".

In most states, only the visibility of stop/tail/turn lights is stipulated, so as long as the dolly lights remain visible when the car is loaded you are OK.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 12:24 PM   #9

I rewired the 7 pin plug so two four pin plugs are attached. Then plug in dolly and car. Car has four pin cable that runs back to the diode setup.
vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 08:50 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetonchief View Post
Be carefull with that statement.
Florida requires lights for anything more than 4' back from the towing vehicle lights and it's true that state laws vary.
Although my personal, mental survey while driving shows that most dingys on a dolly don't have lights on the rear of the dingy. At least not the magnetic type.
I also have not ever seen or heard of anyone pulled over or ticketed so it's probably not agressivly enforced. Florida likes to stay tourist friendly after all.
My guess is that no lights on the dolly towed dingy will only be an issue if you are involved in an accident where someone claims they couldn't see the rear of the dingy.
It's a simple matter to add a female connector to the dolly wires so you can add some inexpensive magnetic lights to the rear of the dingy.
Old 04-15-2016, 09:21 AM   #11

If you have a 4 pin connector on your motorhome/truck. OReilly Auto Parts sells a connector with two pigtails on it.. I plug it into the MH and hook up dolly lights and car lights.. saves any cutting and slicing
HR2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 09:39 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Florida requires lights for anything more than 4' back from the towing vehicle lights and it's true that state laws vary.
Which still doesn't mean the car on the dolly needs its own lights if the dolly already has them. It comes back to the visibility thing again. Florida vehicle law generally ignores tow dollys anyway. They are not considered a "trailer" by themselves and do not have a title or registration as long as the vehicle on the dolly has those. It's neither fish nor fowl, a situation that is fairly common in state towing laws when it comes to cars-towing.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 10:29 AM   #13

This is from the Kar-Kaddy manual:
Lighting Requirements
Even though tow dollies have operating lights, law requires that a vehicle-in-tow be equipped with functioning stop,
turn and running lights. Detachable vehicle-in-tow towing lights can be purchased at many rental locations. They can
also be purchased at auto supply shops. Follow instructions carefully when installing.
I also spoke with the Florida D.O.T. and the response was that lights are required on the dingy.
As I said previously, it's not aggressively enforced and may never be an issue.
Each to his own.
Old 04-15-2016, 11:13 PM   #14

I called the highway patrol and have confirmed that no lights are required on the toad in Missouri. Now I'll need to make some calls to other states on my route for this summer's travels!

Charlie

Tags
dolly, toad, wiring