Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-03-2017, 06:26 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cover Dog View Post
That's the system we used, it's plug and play. Just cut off the 4 way plug up front and wired it into the 6 way plug. We also needed to add the brake light relay #88400 from etrailer, since our brake system pulls the brake pedal to stop. I believe you will need it also since your system pushes on the brake pedal.

The brake light relay synchronizes the brake signal from your coach and eliminates the signal from the brake light switch on your toad when the pedal is depressed. Brake lights on your toad work as designed when not hooked up to the motorhome. It uses the brake light bulb as your turn signal bulb and not the amber bulb for turn signal that is used when not towing. Sounds complicated but it's easy to install and inexpensive. Watch the Etrailer video on the brake light relay #88400 installed in a 2014 CR-V.
Did you find that you need the fuse bypass that others say they added?
Larry201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-03-2017, 06:33 PM   #30

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry201 View Post
2014 is the last year that the CRV is towable 4 down. Right now there are quite a few at the dealerships with low milage that more than likely came off of 3 year lease
I got mine from a friend about 7 months ago, all supposedly set up with all RoadMaster stuff. If I knew the name of the place that did the install I'd warn everyone to never use them! I ended up redoing almost all the installation.
Anyway it only had 6,030 miles on the meter but had been towed to AK and back. Need to do a brake job on it next.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 07:32 PM   #31

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry201 View Post
Did you find that you need the fuse bypass that others say they added?
I pull no fuses. With the charge wire coming from your six way plug to the positive side of the battery this charges your battery anytime you are being towed by the RV. You should have a hot 12v wire in on your MH 7 way plug. Just wire it in so that it goes to the open spot on you 6 way plug that you use to go to the positive side of the battery.
NRA Endowment Life Member, FMCA 455593, WIT 170814 & Mid-Ohio Winnies
Cover Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 05:59 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
I got mine from a friend about 7 months ago, all supposedly set up with all RoadMaster stuff. If I knew the name of the place that did the install I'd warn everyone to never use them! I ended up redoing almost all the installation.
Anyway it only had 6,030 miles on the meter but had been towed to AK and back. Need to do a brake job on it next.
A brake job on a Honda CR-V that only had 6,000+ miles on the odometer a few months ago? What on earth did they do wrong to it when they set it up to be towed? It must have dragged the brakes all the way to Alaska and back!

I just installed front brakes on our 2009 Honda CR-V with 122,000 driven miles and 60,000+ towed miles on her.
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 09:05 AM   #33

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I agree, that is way to fast for brakes to wear down. Mr_D get your paperwork out on your supplemental braking. Look up and see if there is a adjustment on the supplemental brake system.
Different system but when I use my Brake Buddy I turn down the sensitivity or it will apply the toad's brakes every time I lift on the throttle.
Have a great 4th.
Bill
WILDEBILL308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 09:15 AM   #34

My bad- it was a 2013 CR-V manual for FWD, not a 2014. Still, appears a multitude of folks are towing these vehicles without issue. Just my 1st-timer anxiety. Thanks.
HobieBaxter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 11:55 AM   #35

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I have a 2013 Honda CRV all-wheel-drive in the manual says you have to stop every eight hours and let the motor run put it through all the gears and idle for a certain amount of time there's a sequence but it's every eight hours.you do not have to do anything special to the transmission such as add a pump.
Old 07-04-2017, 02:28 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by daledrob View Post
I have a 2013 Honda CRV all-wheel-drive in the manual says you have to stop every eight hours and let the motor run put it through all the gears and idle for a certain amount of time there's a sequence but it's every eight hours.you do not have to do anything special to the transmission such as add a pump.
My days of driving that long disappeared when the kids left the nest. Now as my Dad used to always say, "easy does it, and remember there is always tomorrow".
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 02:38 PM   #37

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by WILDEBILL308 View Post
I agree, that is way to fast for brakes to wear down. Mr_D get your paperwork out on your supplemental braking. Look up and see if there is a adjustment on the supplemental brake system.
Different system but when I use my Brake Buddy I turn down the sensitivity or it will apply the toad's brakes every time I lift on the throttle.
Have a great 4th.
Bill
That is exactly what happened. The shop that set the RoadMaster BrakeMaster 9160 up didn't allow enough slack in the rod and it must have kept the brakes on. I have since changed it, like most of the rest of the install they did! If I knew what shop it was I'd advise everyone to steer clear. As I remember being told it was done in Las Vegas. The only thing so far that seems "right" is the bracket install itself. Drove over the RoadMaster and had them look at it and they didn't see any problems. I've pretty much changed everything else. They even left some small brass fittings out that seal the air tubing so the breakaway wouldn't hold very long.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 02:56 PM   #38

Thanks, Cover Dog! I'm about to do a '14 myself and was scratching my head some. Wiring diagram is awesome. Is the Tail Light Converter something you can get at Etrailer?
Anthem15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 04:55 PM   #39

Found it!
Anthem15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 07:09 AM   #40

Weird- but it was an online version of the manual. The hardcopy version of the 2011 and 2012 I'm looking into purchasing state just what you described. Thanks for your input.
HobieBaxter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 09:26 AM   #41

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
The Hopkins towed vehicle wiring harness 56304 is an excellent choice for a tow vehicle wiring harness. Extremely simple to install and has the diodes built in, I called the manufacturer to check and see. If you Search on Amazon.com for TowDaddy AutoFUSE Automatic Fuse Disconnect for Towed Vehicles auto fuse you will get a small wiring harness that plugs into the same fuse they ask you to remove for your radio.
This charges your battery along with disconnecting the fuse at the same time when you turn on your headlights .There's a video covering the installation on Etrailer.com . The system has got to be the simplest and most elegantly designed ,you just cannot get any easier.
I just installed this on my Honda 2013 CRV. If you take the time to research it I'm sure you will agree and you can get both of these items at amazon.com.
The Honda 2012, 2013, and 2014, supposed to be the same model. 2015 and up your model cannot be towed it has a different transmission.
Old 07-23-2017, 11:18 AM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cover Dog View Post
You will need to buy the Roadmaster seven wire to six wire flexo-coil kit # RM-146-7 $74.95 the wires from the tail light wiring kit will be attached to the 6 way plug. The other two spare outlets on the six way plug I used for ground to anywhere under the hood, and the other available outlet is a 12v hot which you run to the positive side of your battery. That will keep your battery charged while towing.
Just finished the wiring "Everything works". I have one more question about the CR-V.
Owners manual for towing says to place ignition switch to Accessory l. Steering Wheel turns but is extremely hard to turn. Is that normal for towing.
Larry201 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
toad, wiring