Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 11-09-2015, 12:31 PM   #1

Wiring ?? - Diode location

Looking on line at the various wiring kits, I see a common theme: run wire to the back of the TOAD. Place the splice and diodes there. >> WHY?? - Seems to me, to be much simpler to splice into the TOAD wiring harness at the TOAD firewall. Put two rectifier diodes, in parallel, per circuit and viole'. All at the firewall. I have obtained a wiring ID list, so...

What am I missing??

mischievous is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-09-2015, 01:42 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
I soldered in diodes into factory wiring in the drivers door threshold on my 2004 Saturn VUE, it made a neat job rather than trying to break into the dash wiring harness. I believe I had to wire into the rear signal circuit rather than the front... but thinking back I probably could have tapped into the front signal circuits using a isolation diode for left and right. Funny thing is my rear signal lights operate as both signals and brake lights where as the VUE is set up with separate brake light (and third light) These will operate when my brake buddy is activated... providing a double brake warning to whom ever is following me. BTW my rear facing signals are Red and not amber on the VUE.

Old 11-09-2015, 02:53 PM   #3
Senior Member - DIYer

Ford Super Duty Owner
Depends;

I wired mine up front and did the splice into the front turn signals and the front running lights.

The only issue with this set up is with the turn signals. My Camry uses amber turn signals in the back, so when I put the brakes on, the rear amber light turn signal light bulbs come on.

On the positive side (no pun intended) when I turn on the MH running lights, all the cars running lights come on, front, side, and back.

This may not work on all cars as some use a body computer to control ALL the lights. A simple test with a jumper wire will verify if connecting the wires up front will work or not.

It won't do MACH 2, but I can get a sandwich and take a pee.
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 03:01 PM   #4

Mischievous,

I can tell you exactly why....
Now all people can reliably find the correct wires at the front of the vehicle. Never mind the color codes and that everything has to go there. Not everybody that gets paid for these sort of jobs can manage that.

Matt
Old 11-09-2015, 11:29 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mischievous View Post
Looking on line at the various wiring kits, I see a common theme: run wire to the back of the TOAD. Place the splice and diodes there. >> WHY?? - Seems to me, to be much simpler to splice into the TOAD wiring harness at the TOAD firewall. Put two rectifier diodes, in parallel, per circuit and viole'. All at the firewall. I have obtained a wiring ID list, so...

What am I missing??
mischievous,
Well, the first thing you need to understand is the toads wiring circuits themselves. How a vehicles turn and brake wires are setup, in the grand scheme of the entire circuit, is not all that complicated. But, what it all primarily involves is two things.

One, the brake light circuit and, two, the steering column and, the turn signal lever and mechanism. Depending on what position the turn lever is in, will dictated whether or not you get a full set of brake lights in the back. Move the lever for a left or right turn and, you get only half your brake lights 'cause the other half has just been dedicated to be a turn indication.

Now, it gets a tad more complicated due to the AMBER turn signals and RED brake lights.

But, the primary reason, most lighting setups are done at or near the rear of the toad is, you only want the REAR lights involved in your actions. You don't want front turn signals on your toad working while towing it. Mainly 'cause you don't need them and, it could be distacting in your rear camera, especially at night.

Anyone can do whatever they want in terms of toad lights, as we've seen often on here. But, to me, it's really no big deal to run the wires along the frame etc. all the way to the back of the car. About 99% of the work is done right inside the rear left tail light housing area. I only need to run one wire across the back of the toad, to access the right turn signal/brake wire for the right side. Diodes are installed, one on the right side, just in front of the intersection where I tied into the right turn signal wire and, the left turn signal wire.

Toad lighting is not that hard. If you can find the wires you need to tie into, at the fire wall and, not effect the front lights, and, make sure all the rears are working the way they're supposed to, I guess that's an easier way.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 06:35 AM   #6

I used to wire with diodes. Now I simply install a bulb socket in the tail light housing. Very simple. No diodes to burn out. No chance of 12 volt feedback.
moisheh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 10:07 AM   #7

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
There are 3 possible schools of thought.

1: If you are using "Universal" kits the easiest place to put your diodes is at the rear because it is very easy to identify which wire is which there. Not everyone has the mental horsepower to figure it out under the dash like, it appears, you do (And I).

2: Some folks have the mental HP, if you do, then in THEORY there shoudl be no problem with dashing it.. IN practice however...........

AMC put an in-line multi pin connector in an area on my Hornet where it was protected from weather till a piece of plastic behind the tire cracked then it was exposed to road salt,, You can guess what happened,, First I knew about it was when I got stopped by cops.

I bypassed the connector the next day and the ticket was voided (Following inspection) but if you put your diodes under the dash,, That connector would be down-line so you might have no tail lights less you check.. of course... Like I did,

Final School: Some, vehicle specific, kits are such that you locate that connector (Which is normally under the dash not in the fender) Unplug the two halves, plug the two halves into the matching plug and socket on the kit and do not need to splice anything. Now those.... I like.
Old 11-10-2015, 01:04 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by moisheh View Post
I used to wire with diodes. Now I simply install a bulb socket in the tail light housing. Very simple. No diodes to burn out. No chance of 12 volt feedback.
good idea. could you give a photo or a link to show what kind of socket you are referring to? thx.
Old 11-10-2015, 02:37 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
To give you a different point of view, I installed separate bulbs in my 2013 Fiat 500 for the towing lights. It negatively impacted the appearance and I regreted it.

On my current tow vehicle, a 2016 Honda HR-V I used some nice diode packs with 5 amp diodes, Hopkins 56305 Quick Lock Diode Pack:

Amazon.com: Hopkins 56305 Quick Lock Diode Set, 4 Pack: Automotive
powercat_ras is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 09:15 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
After digging around to find the correct color codes on the 01 Subaru Forester I decided to place the diode packs where they were easiest to install, were protected and replace them if they went bad. I wound up putting them under the rear seat. Subaru has a runner under the seat on both sides that holds the seat up off the floor. I located the diode packs under the right runner as it was the nearest to the wire harness to the rear lights.
Good luck, good health and safe travels!
BeltoneMagoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 09:24 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by moisheh View Post
I agree....I chose to NOT splice in to the factory wiring in my toad. 2014 Jeep Patriot. There is no negative visual signs of the system. Very simple.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003VAUQ2I/...I12GG2R1J6PCKA

Tags
cat, wiring