Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 02-13-2013, 09:36 PM   #1

Wiring for SRX

We put a deposit down on a Cadillac SRX and should pick it up in a few weeks. I wired our Saturn Vue via extra sockets and bulbs in the tail lights with no regrets or problems. I have did several this way in the past. Is there room in the LED tail lights on the SRX for it to be wired this way? I know that Blue Ox sells a Diode kit for it but I like the sockets and bulb route because it is a stand alone system and does not interfere with the factory wiring. Thanks for any suggestions in advance.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-14-2013, 06:37 PM   #2

Since the SRX is using LED tail lights, I am guessing Blue Ox recommends AGAINST using diodes, and in fact, may not work if you have a digital wiring system, which is becoming more and more common on the newer cars w/ LED tail lights.

Blue Ox sells a LED separate bulb kit, either red or white, which can be installed in your tail lights, and be totally independent of the car's wiring system. Either call Blue Ox or go to their website. They will recommend which wiring kit to use.

Pusherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 06:46 PM   #3

Thanks, Blue Ox sells the Diode kit for the LED tail lights. I wire custom vehicles from scratch.....what is digital wiring?
Old 02-14-2013, 06:57 PM   #4

Digital wiring is when the OEM uses pulse codes run along the same wire, to control the lighting functions, for example, at the tail lights. The voltages they run is less than 12V, and run stop/tail/turn functions on the same wires using digital codes. Like 'fly-by-wire'. This only works with a fully integrated LED tail light system.

Us old guys understand that most cars in the olden days used different wires for the stop/tail/turn functions (if you have amber turn signals), all run @ 12V (like in my '07 HHR and your Saturn).

Many new cars with the LED tail lights don't work that way. That's why diodes won't work in this situation. Stick with the bulb kits. The LED bulbs are smaller, and install easier, not cutting into the OEM wiring.
Pusherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 07:13 PM   #5

Update on the wiring for a Cadillac SRX. Finally pulled the Caddy for the first time a few nights ago. It took six Diodes to get the wiring correct and it works great. This is using the LED lights that came on the car from the factory. No room for bulbs and sockets in the tail light housings. Very bright and easy to see day or night. The hidden magic button makes this the easiest out of four I have ever flat towed! No key, no locking column, no fuse to pull, no battery disconnect! Just press the hidden button and drop it in neutral and go!

Tags
wiring