Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 04-29-2014, 09:45 AM   #1

Wiring Ford Edge for towing

Just put base plates on a new Ford Edge. Now getting ready to wire for towing. Has anyone wired an Edge. If so, what wiring harness did you use. Any tips for doing this job? Thanks.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-29-2014, 12:03 PM   #2

American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by F117plt View Post
Just put base plates on a new Ford Edge. Now getting ready to wire for towing. Has anyone wired an Edge. If so, what wiring harness did you use. Any tips for doing this job? Thanks.
I have a seldom used method for not cutting into the existing wiring and if no plug and play harness is available. Add or use the toad's hitch receiver for a light bar of sorts or maybe use a hitch haul storage rack and mount your lights to it with a short cord and a connector. Run a mate to the front of the vehicle and wire it in to the umbilical cord connector. Now, you have the required lights and are completely isolated from the toad's electrical system, as well. If you have an existing tow connector, it can also be used for these lights if you choose not to remove the light bar ass'y, when not towing.

tropical36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 12:20 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
You'll need a charging system to keep your Edge's batteries up. I used the Invisibrake system that also charges the toad.
Clayobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 01:35 PM   #4

Country Coach Owners Club
I took the easy way out. My Edge is at Camping World as we speak getting a wiring package installed including a charge wire to keep the battery charged. That way if it breaks they fix it.

KiheiKen
2003 Country Coach Allure
2007 Ford Edge
Old 04-29-2014, 03:57 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiheiKen View Post
I took the easy way out. My Edge is at Camping World as we speak getting a wiring package installed including a charge wire to keep the battery charged. That way if it breaks they fix it.

KiheiKen
2003 Country Coach Allure
2007 Ford Edge
I probably would have done that also, but Camping World had a one month wait for service. I ordered the wiring harness today from etrailer.com, I'll do it myself. Can't be any harder than doing the base plates which involved dismantling the whole front of the Edge. My wife was sure hoping I could get it all back together. So was I 😳.
Old 04-29-2014, 04:06 PM   #6

I tow a 2011 Ford Edge but I bought it already set up from an individual who is a mechanic so I cannot help with the wiring. I do not have to use a charge wire because of the technique he showed me of being able to remove the key yet being able to put the transmission in neutral. I stop every 4-5 hours (convenient lunch break) crank up the car let it run for a few minutes, back into neutral, then away we go.
Old 04-29-2014, 04:58 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tropical36 View Post
I have a seldom used method for not cutting into the existing wiring and if no plug and play harness is available. Add or use the toad's hitch receiver for a light bar of sorts or maybe use a hitch haul storage rack and mount your lights to it with a short cord and a connector. Run a mate to the front of the vehicle and wire it in to the umbilical cord connector. Now, you have the required lights and are completely isolated from the toad's electrical system, as well. If you have an existing tow connector, it can also be used for these lights if you choose not to remove the light bar ass'y, when not towing.
Go to this page and scroll down to the picture of my enclave
Buick Enclave
this is the light bar I made to fit in my trailer hitch I did exactly what he posted. After 18000 miles we had to replace the front brakes under warranty. The enclave has computer controlled lights. The buick dealer kept asking me how I hooked my MH to the car brake lights for towing. I pointed out that I did not do that. I had this light bar for that so I would not have to cut into the cars wiring harness. 3000 miles later we had to replace the rear brakes. Again the same questions trying to find out if something that I had done to enable it to be towed was causing the problem. When they found that I had not touched the wiring the buick dealer called engineering and found out about a rare problem with the brake pedal being mounted incorrectly and causing the brakes to have pressure on them continuously. If I had tied into the car lights I am sure that would have been quoted as the problem and we would have had to fight over who paid for the new pads, rotors and calipers.
Old 04-29-2014, 07:30 PM   #8

I ordered a plug and play harness from etrailer for my MKX. Had a friend help me and an hour later we were ready to go. I need to ad the battery trickle charger as the brake assist drains the battery. Good luck and safe travels.
Old 04-30-2014, 07:32 AM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Towing a Ford Edge

Quote:
Originally Posted by gacamp View Post
I tow a 2011 Ford Edge but I bought it already set up from an individual who is a mechanic so I cannot help with the wiring. I do not have to use a charge wire because of the technique he showed me of being able to remove the key yet being able to put the transmission in neutral. I stop every 4-5 hours (convenient lunch break) crank up the car let it run for a few minutes, back into neutral, then away we go.
That's really interesting! How do you remove the key, mine is locked into place when the ignition switch is keyed into the "up" position and then the transmission placed into neutral? What keeps your battery charged? I was told by a knowledgeable source that installed the supplemental brake system that the running of the engine, with the transmission in park was to circulate the tyranny fluid to help prevent over heating. I've read several post and articles in MH magazine where Edge owners have had transmission trouble because of not performing the above process at all stops. Many have had to go with the REMCO cooling systems. In three years I've had no dead battery, I did prior to the Invisibrake system, plus no transmission problems.
Clayobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 08:17 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by DA_BUS View Post
I ordered a plug and play harness from etrailer for my MKX. Had a friend help me and an hour later we were ready to go. I need to ad the battery trickle charger as the brake assist drains the battery. Good luck and safe travels.
You need more than a trickle and a piece of #10awg that can deliver a good 30amps if need be with a fuse on each end, would be more in order.
tropical36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 08:29 AM   #11
YC1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
To wire the Edge for lights I bought the “universal wiring kit “ from Roadmaster which includes four heavy duty diodes, plenty of cable,.
The part number is 154. No sockets were included to connect at front of engine area. Purchase that separately.
I bought a Demco Base Plate part number 9518210. I bought from Adventure RV. The site says not for vehicle with front collision warning system because the radar module would be blocked. I bought it anyway and dealt with moving the radar a few inches. The tow bar is barely visible.
I believe you may be able to buy a wiring harness with built in diodes and that would be a great idea.
As for a towing brake at this time I would recommend using the ready brake system. Wiring a different system was a pain and I had to put the box next to the spare tire which was ok but the ready brake system does not involve a bunch of wiring.

I am using currently using the Invisibrake.

"
RECREATIONAL TOWING
Follow these guidelines for your specific powertrain combination to tow
your vehicle for personal travel (such as behind a motor home or a
truck).
Note: Put your climate control system in recirculated air mode to
prevent exhaust fumes from entering the vehicle. Refer to the
Climate
Controls
chapter for more information.
In case of a roadside emergency with a disabled vehicle, please refer to
Wrecker towing in the Roadside Emergencies chapter.
These guidelines are designed to prevent damage to your vehicle after it
is hooked-up to the RV or tow dolly.
Tires, Wheels and Loading
Place the transmission shift lever in N (Neutral).
Place the ignition in the accessory position (refer to Starting in the
Driving chapter).
Do not exceed 65 mph (105 km/h)
Start the engine and allow it to run for five minutes at the beginning
of each day and every six hours thereafter. With the engine running
and your foot on the brake, shift into D (Drive) and then into R
(Reverse) before shifting back into N (Neutral).

2. Accessory — press and release the START/STOP button without
applying the brake pedal
. This allows electrical accessories such as the
radio to operate while the engine is not running.
ACCESSORY POWER
ACTIVE and PRESS BRAKE TO START will be displayed in the message
center.
Refer to Message center in the Instrument Cluster chapter for
more information.
3. On — press and release the START/STOP button once from accessory
mode or twice from off without applying the brake pedal. This will power
your vehicle’s electrical system and the warning lights in the instrument
cluster will illuminate, but the engine will remain off.
Note: You can start
the engine from any ignition mode.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3558.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	159.2 KB
ID:	61783   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3564.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	149.6 KB
ID:	61784  

Name:	IMG_3560.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	170.0 KB
ID:	61785   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3567.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	187.2 KB
ID:	61786  

Name:	IMG_3563.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	195.5 KB
ID:	61787   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3562.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	205.2 KB
ID:	61788  

Name:	IMG_3559.jpg
Size:	221.8 KB
ID:	61789   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3565.jpg
Size:	216.4 KB
ID:	61790  

Name:	IMG_3561.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	208.2 KB
ID:	61791   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3566.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	231.6 KB
ID:	61792  

Aluminator tow bar, Demco base plate
YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 08:32 AM   #12
YC1

Here is more information.

In addition I found the charge line from the Invisibrake was inadequate to keep the battery up on my 2012 Limited Edge. Keyless ignition that leaves a bunch of stuff on. It was easy to add a charge line and fuse.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Amber light wiring on Edge.pdf (1.26 MB, 197 views)
File Type: pdf Tail lights with diodes on EDGE.pdf (1.83 MB, 90 views)
Old 04-30-2014, 11:23 PM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Just out of curiosity. Evidently you have your electrical system powered up while you are towing if I understand the posts correctly. Does your car register the mileage towed ?
Old 05-01-2014, 07:49 PM   #14
YC1

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemini5362 View Post
Just out of curiosity. Evidently you have your electrical system powered up while you are towing if I understand the posts correctly. Does your car register the mileage towed ?
Have not looked.

Tags
ford, towing, wiring