Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-21-2016, 02:29 AM   #15

Thank you Superi will give that information to my base plate installer
for the hopkin s #
i use the body brake system for many year's on my CRV
and my harness is install and my dealer pay for it

Andrew from Québec Ca NKK#16343
2004 Kountry Star 3904 Cummins 330 ISC towing a Jeep Cherooke Trail Hawk 2016,Blue Ox.and Buddy Brake ,TMS,
AndrewC is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-21-2016, 07:03 AM   #16

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I have a 2014 Cherokee and after experiencing the death wobble, I found the info here and got the flat tow cable installed on my nickel! What I need to know is the best way to run trickle charge line? I plugged it into the 7 pin but does not seem to give me enough juice as I use a BrakeBuddy and it is not seeing enough voltage to activate while towing! Run a dedicated line from chassis battery on my Sunova? Appreciate any input so do it right first time.

Old 08-21-2016, 07:41 AM   #17

Alpine Owners Club
wiring my jeep cherokee 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by opbart1 View Post
I have a 2014 Cherokee and after experiencing the death wobble, I found the info here and got the flat tow cable installed on my nickel! What I need to know is the best way to run trickle charge line? I plugged it into the 7 pin but does not seem to give me enough juice as I use a BrakeBuddy and it is not seeing enough voltage to activate while towing! Run a dedicated line from chassis battery on my Sunova? Appreciate any input so do it right first time.

As posted on another thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobGed View Post
Just for clarity sake, what you're referring to is applicable to the 2014+ Jeep Cherokees, and it is more than a TSB, it is an official recall. It does not apply to the Grand Cherokees.

I wonder why a recall was on your nickel, are you sure it is a 4x4 Cherokee? I know that may seem a stupid question, but FCA like other car companies limit what a recall applies to.

The toad charge line is meant to keep the toad battery charged, so if it "does not give you enough juice" there is something wrong. Not all MH manufacturers install the toad charge line to the 7 pin, so you need to check, do you have 12 volts on the charge pin when your MH is running? If not you need to install a wire from the battery to a fuse/circuit breaker than to the 7 pin connector. Across your tow cable to the matching 6 or 7 pin connector on your toad, to another fuse/circuit breaker and another wire to your toad battery. The fuses/circuit breakers are to protect both of your batteries. Be sure the wiring is the right size, normally 12 gauge is sufficient, but it depends upon the length of wire. There are several companies that make a kit to do this or you can do it yourself.
DrDaveMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 03:25 PM   #18

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
wiring my jeep cherokee 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDaveMA View Post
As posted on another thread:

I wonder why a recall was on your nickel, are you sure it is a 4x4 Cherokee? I know that may seem a stupid question, but FCA like other car companies limit what a recall applies to.

The toad charge line is meant to keep the toad battery charged, so if it "does not give you enough juice" there is something wrong. Not all MH manufacturers install the toad charge line to the 7 pin, so you need to check, do you have 12 volts on the charge pin when your MH is running? If not you need to install a wire from the battery to a fuse/circuit breaker than to the 7 pin connector. Across your tow cable to the matching 6 or 7 pin connector on your toad, to another fuse/circuit breaker and another wire to your toad battery. The fuses/circuit breakers are to protect both of your batteries. Be sure the wiring is the right size, normally 12 gauge is sufficient, but it depends upon the length of wire. There are several companies that make a kit to do this or you can do it yourself.

I was told it was just a bulletin not a recall, even called Jeep customer care to ask for reimbursement - no luck! If it is an official recall Then I have a case to try again. On the toad charge line I just bought a used 2015 Itasca Sunova 33C, checked the 7 pin plug and there is 12v, just wonder if the charge line kit I bought is too small of wire to provide the amps I need or if not enough at the plug?
Old 08-21-2016, 06:39 PM   #19

Alpine Owners Club
You have to be careful with recalls, to get the "official" status of recalls on your vehicle go to http://www.safercar.gov/ enter your VIN and you will be able to view what has been officially recalled by the government.
DrDaveMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 01:28 PM   #20

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mspicer1234 View Post
I just installed the Blue Ox base plate on a 2016 Jeep Wrangler. For the lights I installed the Hopkins Dinghy Wire Harness which has connectors that plug into the existing connectors on the Jeeps tail lights. I did not have to cut or splice any of the factory wires so no issues with warranty. I did cut and splice the wires on the Hopkins harness in order to run them through the frame of the Jeep for a clean and protected install.
I just completed the same routing in my 2014 JKU without cutting and splicing. Not sure how thr frame is on a Cherokee.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20160822_191000.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	192.8 KB
ID:	136899   Click image for larger version

Name:	20160822_191010.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	154.1 KB
ID:	136900  

Click image for larger version

Name:	20160822_192830.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	178.8 KB
ID:	136901   Click image for larger version

Name:	20160822_192838.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	189.1 KB
ID:	136902  

Old 09-10-2016, 08:08 AM   #21

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Well so much for the flat tow cable fix. Had it done by dealer, but while traveling on I-70 in central CO it happened again doing about 50 mph the the canyon area where there is not a full shoulder. Thankfully the truck behind me was alert as I had to slow quickly. Not a lot of love for my Cherokee as a flat tow vehicle right now!
Old 09-12-2016, 05:36 AM   #22

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
I was told it was just a bulletin not a recall, even called Jeep customer care to ask for reimbursement - no luck! If it is an official recall Then I have a case to try again. On the toad charge line I just bought a used 2015 Itasca Sunova 33C, checked the 7 pin plug and there is 12v, just wonder if the charge line kit I bought is too small of wire to provide the amps I need or if not enough at the plug?
If you are pulling the voltage after your trickle charger then there will not be enough voltage or current there to do any thing but trickle charge the battery. You need to pull 12vdc from in front of the trickle charge circuit for the Brake Buddy.
Old 09-12-2016, 05:44 AM   #23

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Well so much for the flat tow cable fix. Had it done by dealer, but while traveling on I-70 in central CO it happened again doing about 50 mph the the canyon area where there is not a full shoulder. Thankfully the truck behind me was alert as I had to slow quickly. Not a lot of love for my Cherokee as a flat tow vehicle right now!

I have never had an issue of the Death Wobble with my Cherokee. The questions I have to ask are? Are you within the 2-3" of level from the rear of the MH to the front of the Jeep? Also do you have a Roadmaster Quite Hitch installed? This is designed to stop any freeplay between the receiver and the tow bar. In most cases this is where your Death Wobble is from, the hitch is moving back and forth and it makes the wheels of the car move back and forth and once it starts it does not stop until you stop. But I could be wrong or maybe NOT

Tags
wiring