Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 11-03-2009, 12:39 AM   #1

Wiring question..MH to toad

7 wire MH connector and want to use a 6 wire cable ( 4 wire for brake lights and turn signal and one for toad brake light monitor in MH) Should I rewire MH or use adaptor, diodes or ? If someone could advise it would be much appreciated. Thanks

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-03-2009, 05:21 AM   #2
paz

If you look around the automotive section of Walmart or check an auto parts store, you should be able to find a 7-pin to 6-pin adapter. Use a test light or volt meter to check to see which pin is which so you can wire the toad accordingly.

Check out our blog: Living Our Dream
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 11:04 AM   #3

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
7 on the MH 6 on the car... Use an adapter or make up an adapter cable The difference is the "AUX" terminal (usually used for back up lights) is very simply not used on the six terminal version

To "home make" and adapter take either a 7 pin towed to towing cable or a six pin, remove one end and replace with the other plug.

Either tape off the 7th wire, (if you use the 7pin cable) or do not connect anything to that pin (if you use a six pin cable)

NOTE If you can salvage the plug you remove.. Do so, you will need to replace it some day (I did my plugs about six weeks ago)
Old 11-03-2009, 11:01 PM   #4

OK, I have to explain and reask here. I'm going from brake lights and turn signals on the motorhome to a 4 wire system on the car. Do I need diodes on the motorhome or Roadmaster makes a brite-lite converter? Thanks
Old 11-03-2009, 11:21 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I installed (3) diodes in my jeep. No adapter on Monaco.

Mike
Old 11-04-2009, 12:28 AM   #6

If your MH has SEPARATE turn signals and brake lights and your toad has COMBINED brake and turn lamps, you will need an adapter to combine the separate signals on the MH for the toad. Also you will need diodes on the toad.
ernieh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 02:45 PM   #7

I think I'm adding to the confusion. MH is 7 wire, toad is 4 wire. Toad wiring extra bulbs, and not tapping into the toads wiring.
Old 11-04-2009, 03:33 PM   #8

If adding extra bulbs on the toad, delete the need for diodes.

How many pins are on the MH doesn't matter. What matters is the brake/turn signal configuration. If they are sepatate lamps, you need an adapter to combine the signals unless you have separate lamps on the toad. In that case you would need a five wire harness (left turn, right turn, brake, tail, ground).

Most of the web sites for the companies that make this stuff have very good information available. Also, the Blue Ox site has just about everything that you need to know about connecting a toad.
ernieh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 06:50 AM   #9
paz

Roadmaster has wiring diagrams on their web site that cover various toad wiring configurations. These include combined turn signals/brake lights on the motorhome and separate on the toad and vice versa, as well as diagrams for separate-separate and combined-combined turn signals and brake lights. Although it sounds like you don't need them, they also have wiring info for diodes. Click HERE and scroll down near the bottom of the page.
Check out our blog: Living Our Dream
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 12:11 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
I just completed the wiring of my 06 Saturn Vue today. I wired a 6-way receptacle on each end, the MoHo and the Toad. I purchased 25 ft. of 6 wire 14 gauge cable from E-trailer and 6 Roadmaster Hy-Power Diodes. I used the wiring diagram from Roadmaster and I am using a Roadmaster 6-way flex cable to hook up from the MoHo to the Toad. Red for brakes, Yellow for left turn signal, Green for right turn signal, Brown for tail lights, White for ground. The sixth one, Black, was cut off as it wasn't needed.

If you have a 7-way on the MoHo, you just need to trace which lug performs which function. Hopefully it was wired according to the RV Standard. Here is the website for the Standard RV 7-Way connection.

7 Way RV Plug & Receptacle Wiring Diagram pictures from trucks photos on webshots

Then get a 7-way plug and cable to make your own converter cable to the Toad depending on whether you need separate or combined. If the Toad requires combined, an adapter will need to be purchased and installed on the Toad.

Good Luck and remember to always test your work and connections before heading out on a long trip so you can discover if something is not working correctly or maybe there are crossed connections or whatever. It's easier to fix it at home than on the road.
Old 12-18-2009, 07:43 PM   #11

I intend to install a brakke buddy battery maintainer, which instructs the user to connect the wire to an unused pin of a 6 or 7 pin umbilical cord. However, my umbilical is 4 pins and all are used thus requiring a separate wire. I would appreciate any and all suggestions re easy to connect and disconnect connectors that will be waterproof while connected or disconnected. Thanks Waterdog4315
Old 12-26-2009, 06:37 PM   #12

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Just use a tail light converter. I had the same situation. I installed a heavy duty tail light converter to first use a tow dolly and eventually I went to a 4 wheels down vehicle and use the same 4 pin connector for the dinghy tail lights and brakes.
fatguy57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 11:03 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPMaly View Post
I think I'm adding to the confusion. MH is 7 wire, toad is 4 wire. Toad wiring extra bulbs, and not tapping into the toads wiring.
I think this is what you are trying to do...
Old 12-28-2009, 10:48 AM   #14

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
If you already have the cable on the towed.. Use an adapter

If you do not already have a cable on the towed, Use a 7 pin plug and leave the 7th pin not-connected It's for the back up lights by the way, you don't back up when towing 4-down.