Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-08-2017, 08:13 AM   #1

Wiring Towed lights on a CRV

I'm recently purchased a 2007 CRV to flat tow behind my motorhome. I pretty much decided on using the Ready Brute Elite set-up with a Demco Base plate. My question is wiring the lights on the CRV and was wondering what wiring kits others have used to accomplish this.
Jfs999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-08-2017, 08:15 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I have Blue Ox and used their wiring kit with the diodes.
2012 Journey 36M, Cummings 360hp
Cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 08:19 AM   #3

Blue ox also
rrmacomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 08:22 AM   #4

I've had 2 CRV toads and have used the completely separate new buld on both. Went with the LED version this time.
Just figured the safest way was to not connect MH and toad systems. Installation was EZ.
I'm sure others have used the diode version and it works.
I think this is one of those choices that any approach can work and there isn't a bad or wrong choice.
Do what ypu are comfortable with.
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 09:22 AM   #5
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
I used the Roadmaster wiring kit, I think it was the RM154. Check with etrailer.com. They have great info on their website!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 09:30 AM   #6

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I bought a setup from eTrialer, just a plug in unit although it came with a molded on 4 pin connection and I changed it to 6 to match the NightHawk towbar.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 09:40 AM   #7

Thor Owners Club
Yep, buy the wiring kit, easy peasy except getting into the side panel but its not horrible, then getting the wire run up front. Once done you wont have to do it again.
Old 11-08-2017, 09:49 AM   #8

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Go with a kit that provides a separate light bulb rather than using the CR-V's lights and diodes. The problem you will have is when the CR-V's brakes are active so are the brake lights which will override the flashing turn indicator coming from the coach.

If you're determined to use the CR-V lights with diodes you'll need to include a module that splits out the turn signal from the combine brake/turn signal from the coach. Adds about $20 to the cost. eTrailer is a good one stop source for everything you'll need be it a bulb kit or a diode kit and a break out module.
Old 11-08-2017, 09:52 AM   #9

Thor Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetbriar View Post
The problem you will have is when the CR-V's brakes are active so are the brake lights which will override the flashing turn indicator coming from the coach.
You have me lost here, with the wiring kits the toad mimics the rv. The kit is complete with everything you need in one nice little box. Plug into the existing lights and your done,
Old 11-08-2017, 10:07 AM   #10

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetbriar View Post
Go with a kit that provides a separate light bulb rather than using the CR-V's lights and diodes. The problem you will have is when the CR-V's brakes are active so are the brake lights which will override the flashing turn indicator coming from the coach.

If you're determined to use the CR-V lights with diodes you'll need to include a module that splits out the turn signal from the combine brake/turn signal from the coach. Adds about $20 to the cost. eTrailer is a good one stop source for everything you'll need be it a bulb kit or a diode kit and a break out module.
My Country Coach has a special wiring module that splits out the signal, just takes a change in one jumper on the board. This board was a standard item on my year/model rig.
Here's a picture of a heavy duty aftermarket board:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	towing board.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	122.7 KB
ID:	182319  
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 05:18 PM   #11

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knightab View Post
You have me lost here, with the wiring kits the toad mimics the rv. The kit is complete with everything you need in one nice little box. Plug into the existing lights and your done,
The coach four wire lights include (1) driving lights, (2) left turn/braking, (3) right turn/braking and (4) ground. When braking and indicating a turn the coach will modulate or flash the brake signal for the indicated direction.

If the toad has a braking system that depresses the brake pedal the toad brake lights will activate using toad power. If you diode the coach signal into the toad lights the flashing brake signal from the coach will get overridden by the toad brake signal. I learned this the hard way on my 2005 CR-V. Using a converter box I use all the tail lights on the CR-V, driving lights on the bottom, brakes next (skipped the backup lights) and turn signals on the top. If I ever replace this CR-V I'll use a bulb kit in the bottom driving light section rather than diodes next time.

Or you could just disconnect the toad battery. Just be sure you have the radio antitheft code.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Tags
light, lights, tow, wiring