Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 08-22-2009, 10:44 PM   #1
Monaco Owners Club
Wrangler 04, messing with MH lights

I have towed a number of vehicles and directly wired into them without any problems.

I just recently got an 04 Wrangler, wired it up to the coach using a kit that ties into the harness connection of jeep back by the tail lights.

Well, everything seemed to be working fine, but now not. When I connect the jeep and turn on the MH blinkers, both sides of the MH and jeep blinkers flash, including the middle brake light of the MH.

It seems the first time I tried towing, all the lights worked fine...

Anybody else have this happen?

And do we think that installing diodes for the L, R blinkers and brake connections will be the solution?

Any thoughts or practical knowledge would be great.

Monaco 2005 Dynasty & Arctic Fox 996
FullTimers with Cats: Zippy & Sami (RIP)
Honda CR-V chases us everywhere we go!
Zbugsii is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-22-2009, 11:09 PM   #2
Workhorse Chassis Owner
If you are tied into the Jeep wiring and are not using diodes, you have feedback through the Jeep wiring harness when trying to control the bulbs with the MH. Its hard telling what all will light up with that setup.

2004 Southwind 32VS

Workhorse W20
wilanddij is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 11:37 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Do you still have the CR-V to test with? If so try it. I would uncover the 7-pin connector wires. They don''t tighten the screws in the springy cord. ground wire may be loose.

mfire1339 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 08:03 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

MY '05 has the same wiring. I installed a Blue Ox diode pack in the taillight wires and that method works. I intercepted the taillight wiring by lifting the carpeting under the driver's side rocker panel. I put the diode pack under the dash and ran the wires to the rocker panel location and spliced in there. Ideally you'd install dedicated towing bulbs but there's just not enough room to cleanly do that in those taillight housings.
Mark & Leann Quasius
2016 Cornerstone 45A
2007 Allegro Bus 42QRP (Sold)
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited - Rubicon
Cruzer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 12:00 PM   #5
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I would check the wire connecting the RV and the car. I had a similar thing happen with my Saturn Vue after it had been working for about a year. I'd turn on the blinkers and the whole dash would blink, the MH parking lights were on even though the switch wasn't pressed, and so forth.

It turned out that the "springy" wire was not screwed into the 7 wire socket on one side, and a number of the smaller wires that make up the connection had pulled free and were apparently interactive with each other and causing the problem. I replaced the 7 wire receptical on the wire, made sure everything was tight and wired correctly and haven't had a problem since.

2007 Itasca Sunova 35J
2006 Saturn Vue
CurbCrusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 04:28 PM   #6
Alpine Owners Club
You may also want to check and make sure you have a good ground on the Jeep to a good ground on the Motorhome. If not the current may back feed through anything to get to a ground on the MH.
Dave Fernandez
2001, 38ft FDDS, 350 ISC, Tow 2004 Yukon
Dave Fernandez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 11:49 AM   #7
Monaco Owners Club
Well, here is my outcome.

After checking everything out, all was as it was supposed to be, but not working.

So, put in a powered tail light converter, 5 wire to 4 wire, BUT turn signals still did not work correctly, but now it stopped messing with the coach. After many hours checking for any ground problems and such, I had to put in two diodes to stop the current from going into the Jeep, which was somehow making the opposite turn signal blink as well. I am not sure I know why or how it was doing it... but the diodes fixed the problem and all is now well. It was very painful and long in getting it done, but it is done.

Monaco 2005 Dynasty & Arctic Fox 996
FullTimers with Cats: Zippy & Sami (RIP)
Honda CR-V chases us everywhere we go!
Zbugsii is offline   Reply With Quote