Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-19-2014, 07:23 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Wrangler base plate installation

We just brought home the new toad a 2015 Jeep Wrangler Willys Wheeler. It sure is pretty

Already had a Blue Ox BX1126 delivered and waiting. So I have read the install instructions and watched a couple of videos. Looks straight forward enough and we are good with tools.

A few questions though. Wiz nuts? I see the idea of welding on a hunk of rod to the nuts. I assume it is to hold it in place to thread the bolt to it. Is that all you need to hold the nut while torquing the bolt down? Then after you are done what do you do with the rod? Just tuck it away or cut it off?

It looks like the hardest part is trimming the plastic "belly pan" to fit over the tabs on the base plate. Any suggestions?

The frame has to have four holes drilled with a 17/32 drill bit. I have about four sets of drills not one that size. NAPA even had to order one

HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-19-2014, 02:08 PM   #2

The wire on the end is so far into the frame you won't be able to cut it. The frame is super easy to drill and if you install the base plate where it needs to be you can use the base plate as a guide to drill. Then put the bolts in and adjust and tighten it all down.

Home Depot had the drill bit.

dub

Old 09-19-2014, 02:51 PM   #3

Thor Owners Club
Wiz nuts are awesome. At first I thought what the hell, but you could not do the job without them. What I did with my belly pan was tape off the area I was going to trim and radio us the corners so no tearing or cracking could accrue owner time. I used a Fein Multimaster (osculating) tool. It cut like butter and was very neat and tidy. There are less costly versions nowadays that will do just as good a job. Home-depot has plenty.
Old 09-20-2014, 07:10 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Thanks guys. We got the plate installed and yes the Wiz Nuts are about the only way I can see to get the nut on without a lot of grief. Our 1/2" Makita drill buzzed through the frame like it was nothing. A couple of the nuts holding the bumper on were a little tough to get off but taking our time and a couple busted knuckles and we got it done. We just cut the rods on the Wiz Nuts close and shoved them into the frame to get them out of the way.

I do not see a good spot to place the safety cables that won't have them contacting a brake line or something so we will take another look-see to figure that out.

We have not cut the plastic pan yet but the oscillating tool sounds like a good idea.
Old 09-20-2014, 05:55 PM   #5

You can cut the belly pan with a sharp utility knife
Old 09-21-2014, 05:50 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by newmar10 View Post
You can cut the belly pan with a sharp utility knife
We bought one of those oscillating tools from Harbor Freight for $13 and it worked great. I have been looking for a reason to get one anyway. With a lot of measuring and cutting a little at a time it came out perfect.

I still don't see a location to put the safety cables that I am comfortable with. Seems like there is a hose or something anywhere it can be run.
Old 09-22-2014, 10:21 AM   #7
doc

Appalachian Campers
I know you used lock tite ?? Very important!
Old 09-22-2014, 06:53 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by doc View Post
I know you used lock tite ?? Very important!
Red!
Old 09-22-2014, 07:04 PM   #9

Thor Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
your right about the safety cables what i did was to wrap them aroud the sway bar a couple of times its not pretty but i think it will work
Old 09-22-2014, 07:14 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmblaster View Post
your right about the safety cables what i did was to wrap them aroud the sway bar a couple of times its not pretty but i think it will work
I thought about that. Almost any other location I come up with has a wire or some kind of line in the way. If all six of the bolts let loose, there is going to be a disaster with or without the cables. I did use a torque wrench on them.
Old 09-22-2014, 07:33 PM   #11

Thor Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by HD4Mark View Post
I thought about that. Almost any other location I come up with has a wire or some kind of line in the way. If all six of the bolts let loose, there is going to be a disaster with or without the cables. I did use a torque wrench on them.

I figured the sway bar was bolted to the frame so it should be good enough I zip tied the cable to itself
Old 09-23-2014, 11:47 AM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmblaster View Post
I figured the sway bar was bolted to the frame so it should be good enough I zip tied the cable to itself
Good idea, thanks. It looks like the best or maybe only alternative.

We used the Blue Ox BX88285 wiring kit that is pretty much plug and play. The hard part was finding a way to get the plugs behind the tail lights. They will go into the grommeted holes above them. The only problem I have with the kit is the tow plate has two posts sticking out to mount a round plug and the kit comes with a four prong flat plug and plastic mounting bracket with a different hole pattern. I am planning to make a bracket to fit it out of some angle iron or something. More to follow.
Old 09-23-2014, 01:48 PM   #13

Thor Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by HD4Mark View Post
Good idea, thanks. It looks like the best or maybe only alternative.

We used the Blue Ox BX88285 wiring kit that is pretty much plug and play. The hard part was finding a way to get the plugs behind the tail lights. They will go into the grommeted holes above them. The only problem I have with the kit is the tow plate has two posts sticking out to mount a round plug and the kit comes with a four prong flat plug and plastic mounting bracket with a different hole pattern. I am planning to make a bracket to fit it out of some angle iron or something. More to follow.

you could always just cut the flat plug off and wire up a round plug you might even consider a 6 way plug for adding a charge line or whatever
Old 09-25-2014, 08:30 AM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Done! Since this is our toad but also DWs daily driver she wanted to do some of the work. Turned out she did a lot of the work. I fabricated a bracket to mount the four prong plug where the round one is supposed to go and painted it black to match. Covered the wiring with the black split tubing stuff for looks and to protect it. Turned out nice if we do say so ourselves.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	towplate2.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	226.8 KB
ID:	74917  

Tags
install