RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 12-11-2019, 07:28 AM   #1

Wrangler Limited Toad

We are looking at a 2016 or 2017 Jeep Wrangler Limited Edition as a toad to pull behind a 2006 Winnebago Itasca. My question to toad owners is this a good flat tow vehicle? Will our Itasca be able to pull it with no problems? What other vehicle might I be looking for as alternative toads.

Thanks
2006 Itasca

Garfield1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-11-2019, 07:40 AM   #2

First, not all Jeeps can be flat towed. The major factor is the transfer gear case and whether or not it can be shifted into Neutral for towing.

Second, some Jeeps prior to 2019 or 2020 suffer from "Death Wobble" which requires the addition of a supplemental wiring harness.

Third, for your motorhome what is the GCWR - GVWR and what is the weight of the Jeep. If the outfitted Jeep weights less than the difference of GCWR - GVWR you should be good to go.

I tow a 2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (approx 5,100 lbs with V8) but my 12,000 towing capacity on the motor home allows me to tow almost anything I want. There are a lot of Wranglers being towed so they must be decent vehicles as a TOAD. I don't like them because when I sit in the driver's seat I can't see the top of the instrument cluster because the steering wheel blocks the view and there is no way to lower the driver's seat (at least there wasn't when I looked in March).

I also see folks towing the Jeep Cherokee when they are limited by weight.

Hope this helps.

EA37TS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 08:00 AM   #3

We tow a 2018 Jeep Wrangler Sport S behind a Winnebago View. We use Blue Ox tow bar system and the RVI 3 brake. I like the RVI system because it is small. The tablet with it does not always work for sensing but I like the brake. We towed a 2016 Cherokee Trailhawk before the Wrangler. We changed because of the long list of actions in specific order needed to shift the Cherokee transfer case in and out of neutral. The transfer case is electronic where the Wrangler is mechanical. We also needed power to the Cherokee’s electronic steering to prevent death wobble.

Do your research but I don’t think the Wrangler you are looking at has electronic steering. Mine is a 2016 JL and it is not.

No issues with weight etc but wife and I pay attention to our loading capacity and where we place things. But so far no trouble. Towed combination to Myrtle Beach through WV mountains and up to Kalkaska, MI.
Jeff24g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 08:00 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garfield1 View Post
We are looking at a 2016 or 2017 Jeep Wrangler Limited Edition as a toad to pull behind a 2006 Winnebago Itasca. My question to toad owners is this a good flat tow vehicle? - Yes, there are many Jeep TOADS out there. They seem to be the easiest to set for and to tow 4 down.

Will our Itasca be able to pull it with no problems? - Probably yes, but there are missing variables to properly answer your question. You need to look at the Jeep's weight, the Itasca's tow rating, GVWR, GCWR and the UVW/NCC (OCCC) to determine if you can safely tow it.

What other vehicle might I be looking for as alternative toads. - Good question, I'm interested in hearing responses to this one, but I intend to tow the '13 JKU pictured to the left.

Thanks
2006 Itasca

Good Luck and enjoy the ride.
Old 12-11-2019, 11:00 AM   #5

Quote:
We are looking at a 2016 or 2017 Jeep Wrangler Limited Edition as a toad to pull behind a 2006 Winnebago Itasca. My question to toad owners is this a good flat tow vehicle? Will our Itasca be able to pull it with no problems? What other vehicle might I be looking for as alternative toads.

Thanks
2006 Itasca
Well,
First off, Itasca WHAT? Adventurer, Horizon, Meridian, gas, diesel, WHAT? Second, by the term "Limited" in your Jeep Wrangler description, I'm gonna have to assume it's maybe a SAHARA LIMITED, correct? If so, it will have the model 231 transfer case which, is pretty much the same transfer case that a zillion Jeep Wranglers have had for years and years, other than the 241OR which is used in the Rubicons.

The 231 has its own oil pump in it so, flat towing is no issue at all. Now, you also don't say what you may or may not be doing with the new-to-you Wrangler. Maybe some off road, none, street only, heavy off roading, what? And that means are you or do you have any intent on doing any mods to the Wrangler like, a nice aftermarket front bumper, rear one, anything else? Or, are you gonna leave it completely stock?

I ask these questions because many of the answers, might dictate on how you set your Jeep up for towing. For instance, if you plan on even some moderate off roading, I'd highly recommend an aftermarket front bumper. The prime reason(s) are:

1. The look SERIOUSLY BETTER than a stock front bumper

2. About 99.999999 of them come with what's called recovery tabs which, are used when you, or a buddy get's in a predicament, that you, or your buddy can't get out of on your, or your buddies own. Then, a strap is attached to that recovery tab and you, or your buddy yank them or you, of of that predicament. But, that recovery tab is also used for TOWING your Jeep too. You purchase a couple of adapters to fit your particular tow bar and, fit those recovery tabs and, you're all hooked up.

3. Wiring is cake on the pre-18 models. Go pick up a Hopkins tow wiring harness for about $50 and it's a plug and play deal, DONE! Now, your Jeeps tail lights are also used as toad lights.

4. If no off roading is planned for your new Jeep, then you'll need a "base plate" to attach to the front of the Jeep to hook your tow bar to.

5. Then, you'll need some sort of braking system for it. If your Itasca is a DIESEL, then I'd HIGHLY RECOMMEND an M&G Braking system. It works in conjunction with your DIESELs air brakes and, the really, REALLY good part is, there's ABSOLUTELY NOTHING inside your Jeep, EVER! No robot to place inside prior to towing and then, REMOVE it after towing, no drag on the Jeeps electrical system, no need to have the key on, and a lot more.

Anyway, these are just some suggestions. Good luck.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 11:12 AM   #6

I tow my 2016 Jeep Sahara 2DR HT Automatic and could not be happier. I had CW install a Roadmaster baseplate, now use a NSA Readybrake supplemental braking system. If I had to do it over again from scratch I’d opt for the NSA Ready Brute Elite which combines the brake unit in with the tow bar.

I also opted staying with the original bumper. I like the way it works. Have never had too my knowledge a “Death Wobble” but they do happen some some.
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2DR 4WD Sahara, Automatic, Hard Top
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 04:22 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by EA37TS View Post
First, not all Jeeps can be flat towed. The major factor is the transfer gear case and whether or not it can be shifted into Neutral for towing.

Second, some Jeeps prior to 2019 or 2020 suffer from "Death Wobble" which requires the addition of a supplemental wiring harness.
The OP asked about a Wrangler. As far as I know, there are no Wranglers that can not be towed 4 down. I am not aware of any Wranglers that have a so called "death wobble" problem with the exception of some highly modified Wranglers or ones with worn suspension/steering components.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, all Wranglers are Jeeps but not all Jeeps are Wranglers.
hohenwald48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2019, 01:38 AM   #8

Wrangler

I flat tow a 2011 Wrangler Sahara behind my 2017 Coachman Mirada 31 fw with a 5k hitch and don’t even feel it back there. The Sahara’s curb wt is 4001,
Smittty54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2019, 11:52 AM   #9

Well,
Not sure he's too worried about it, hasn't been back to answer or comment.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2019, 12:03 PM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
AF1 on my '17 Wrangler. 33k miles and zero issues
Old 12-16-2019, 03:53 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:

Thanks
2006 Itasca
The Jeep Wranglers are a great toad as they are easily set up to flat-tow 4-down. You'll have to look at your towing capacity on your Itasca but most have at least a 5k pound towing capacity which should handle a stock to very mildly built Wrangler Unlimited.

My 2011 Wrangler Unlimited weighs right @ 6k pounds and flat-tows beautifully. I have 4.5" of lift and running 37" tires and have flat-towed it all over the western U.S. and parts of Canada without issue. This is our 4th Jeep that we have flat-towed behind our various coaches over the past 25+ years of RV'ing.

Great choice in a toad.
zmotorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2019, 07:20 PM   #12

2018 Wrangler Unlimited behind 2008 Itasca Horizon 425 hp. Blue Ox Aventa and base plate.
Patriot brake.
No issues. Pulls nicely. 425 hp doesn't know it's there.
2 cats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2019, 07:16 AM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Your signature shows you have an 06 Itasca Suncruiser at 35 feet. I had an 06 Sunrise 35A at 35 feet. It was on the 22K GVWR Workhorse chassis with 26K GCWR. When traveling for long distance, the MH weighed 21,800 lbs and I towed a 3,500 car. I was just within the GVWR, GCWR, and 5K hitch rating.

A similar model Suncruiser is heavier than a Sunrise. Your Jeep is likely to weigh close to or more than 5K lbs, including tow bar, base plate, bike rack and bicycles, stuff inside, etc.

I would recommend that you fully load up your Itasca and get it weighed on a CAT (truck stop) scale and see where you're at. You should also weigh the Wrangler and add a few hundred pounds for gear and goodies. That will tell you if you can tow it safely without burning out your transmission or ripping off your trailer hitch.

Rockwood27 is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
toad