Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-16-2012, 12:15 PM   #1

Wrangler question

We are getting our new to us '03 TJ'S ready to tow, wondering if any protection needs to be considered to protect the front end? The paint on ours is in surprisingly good shape, and we would like to keep it so. We were thinking old school bra, any other thoughts?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-16-2012, 12:51 PM   #2

Ford Super Duty Owner
Unless you have a DP, I don't think you have to worry. We pull ours without any protection and don't get dings.
Old Dude 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 01:00 PM   #3

Freightliner Owners Club
You can always put a mud,stone guard on the rear of your RV rear of bumper area. They have like a brissel type one thats light and protects from most things, so you dont worry so much.Just a thought.
IRV2-Supporter
Sutler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 01:11 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Our previous coach had a series of flaps that hung down from the rear bumper - current coach does not have one. I have not noticed any chips since the new coach. However the current coach has a looog rear overhang from the rear tires that may make a difference.

If you are concerned I think one of these for protection would do the job and does not require putting on and taking off the Jeep. Bras on the front of a car can cause paint abrashion itself.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 06:55 AM   #5

We use an Ultra Guard mud flap mounted on the frame of the RV about 3" from the rear of the coach. When we went to Alaska we also used a Roadmaster Guardian rock shield. We qiuickly found the roads in Alaska weren't much different than those in the lower 48 so the rock shield turned into a 1 time use.

We still use the Ultra Guard and find it keeps the rear of the motorhome and the front of the Jeep much cleaner than without it. In 75,000 miles of towing the Jeep we don't have any paint chips or scratches. We did get a windshield ding in Alaska from a truck passing in the opposite direction. So even when we took all the precautions we thought were necessary things still happened.

The success of using the Ultra guard, or any mud flap, is the way it's installed, and the amount of body overhang behind the rear wheels. Ours is installed so there's 4 inches of ground clearance when the coach is fully loaded. Any less than that and there's a good chance it'll scrape on the ground when the wheels go through low spots or come down off a bump. Also the more body overhang the more likely it is to hit the road.
Old 12-17-2012, 07:08 AM   #6

I would not recommend the Bra for the Jeep. I bought a new one for our JK, and pulled it to Moab. No rain, dry roads, 2 days driving, and ended up with the start of rub marks on the hood. the bra is two piece, one for the hood and one for the grill. I still put the grill piece on for extended pulls, but will never put the hood on again.
Highlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 07:14 AM   #7

Dings on a jeep is like a badge of honor. Its not like you are towing a Lexus.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 07:41 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post

My coach has regular mud flaps and long rear overhang. Chips? I get those off-road and wear them with pride. Hey, its a Wrangler! Just have fun.
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 08:40 AM   #9

Quote:
They may be a badge of honor to some. To others who live in snow country they turn into rust spots. I don't know if the newer jeeps are more rust resistant than their predecesors, but the older ones easily turned into rust buckets once the paint was gone.
Old 12-17-2012, 05:37 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hikerdogs View Post

They may be a badge of honor to some. To others who live in snow country they turn into rust spots. I don't know if the newer jeeps are more rust resistant than their predecesors, but the older ones easily turned into rust buckets once the paint was gone.
Let's see.
Have Wrangler.
Will not go off-road, where most chips are born.
Touch-up paint?
Old 12-17-2012, 05:42 PM   #11

We use a Protect A Tow, which is not too expensive, easy to install and easy to store. After 16,000 miles, the only ding we got was when not towing!
Angelrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 05:48 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Protect=a=tow, Can't go wrong
Old 12-17-2012, 05:57 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
I suppose you are ok with the water leaks that jeeps have also? "IT'S A JEEP THING" ?????
Just what I want, A $36,000.00 jeep with dings and wet floors with mold growing. I have the wet floors (at the dealer as I type for the 3rd time) I don't need dings.
Old 12-17-2012, 06:34 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by palehorse89 View Post
I suppose you are ok with the water leaks that jeeps have also? "IT'S A JEEP THING" ?????
Just what I want, A $36,000.00 jeep with dings and wet floors with mold growing. I have the wet floors (at the dealer as I type for the 3rd time) I don't need dings.
I have a 2012 Wrangler Sport. No leaks. 15K miles.
No dings from towing with regular mudflaps in 12K miles.
2 small dings from much off-road, rocks from other Wranglers. I get it REAL dirty. Used touch-up paint.