Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-17-2017, 11:10 AM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Wrangler toad gets smoky smelling

I have a 2016 4-door Jeep Wrangler Rubicon with the following tow equipment installed: Blue Ox Alpha tow bar (6500 lb) and RVIbrake2 installed by Lambert Hitch in Denver. After a day's drive, the Jeep has a burned brakes or hot rubber smell. I've tried different settings with no change in outcome. I'm presently using "Small SUV" and "Low Sensitivity," though I started with "Large" and "Medium."

What might I be doing wrong? The smell makes me think the brakes are dragging, either scrubbing rubber off tires or wearing brake pads unnecessarily.

I had this problem when towing with a 27' Itasca Sunstar LX before and now with our 2017 36' Fleetwood Pace Arrow 35M.
Whlsdn is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-17-2017, 11:18 AM   #2

I was told that road debris "rubber" gets kicked by the coach and gets deposited on the exhaust of the toad. Then when the toad is started, it produces the smell. I've checked the brakes and had them checked with no visible issues. Sometimes it's very strong and other times the smell isn't there.
Old 08-17-2017, 12:12 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Newmar Owners Club
I have no smells after towing our Jeep. Can you tell if tire wear is excessive?
Also may want to start checking brake temps after stopping with IR gun.
Old 08-17-2017, 12:18 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Could take short trip without the rvibrake2 installed and then check for smells.
Old 08-17-2017, 12:23 PM   #5

Our Honda will do that. Road/tire grime on the parts that get hot after you start it. Much less after I removed the big full width flap off the back of my motorhome. It's not needed and less debris kicked up onto the toad.
Old 08-17-2017, 12:32 PM   #6

Entegra Owners Club
It's normal, my Jeep Liberty was bad, Toyota Tacoma, not bad at all, new Chevy once in a great while. Personal opinion, I think it is the location of the catalytic converter and how much road debris collects on it that burns off
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 12:37 PM   #7

KZ RV Club
Same here with our 2010 Wrangler. It is not from the Jeep's brakes being activated.

It's amazing the amount of grease, oil, and brake dust that gets stuck to the toad. Start it up, and the exhaust cooks it, hence the stench.

And the tow bar and cables. I always wipe the arms down before unhooking the Jeep, just so all that crud doesn't get inside the assembly.

Gump

2022 KZ 272FK
GumpAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 01:38 PM   #8

My 1995 JY smells like rubber after a tow, just road debris. No worries as stated above for piece of mind get a IR gun and check your temperatures.
Old 08-17-2017, 01:53 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Grand Design Owners Club
Lampert is the best in the business IMHO, and they usually sell the system you just described. They did mine exactly the same('16 Rubicon Hard Rock), in fact I remember they did my Dad's station wagon when I was a little kid. I say all of this because it is not likely to be an install issue, but I wanted to let you know that the brake system company is located in Castle Rock, CO of all places. You could certainly call ahead and drop by to have them check it just to give you a little peace. Looks like your Denver area local. For what it's worth, I have not noticed a smell, but I will pay attention next time.
kgchampagne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 07:42 PM   #10

The smell is common and more noticeable on Wranglers than other toads. However, I think I'd probably tow it for a day without the toad brakes and see what happens. If you're dragging brakes it's gonna' cost you before long.
Old 08-17-2017, 08:01 PM   #11

Unless you see smoke from the brakes of the road after you've just shut down from a long haul, it's NOT THE BRAKES! And it's NOT the Catilytic converter either.

Every one needs to realize that when DRIVING a toad, or any car/truck/Jeep etc., anything that comes in contact with the exhaust system is INSTANTLY burned off and you never notice it. This includes dust, debris, mud, muddy water, TIRE DUST, and a whole lot more.

But, hook up that toad and tow it for any distance at all, anything and everything that can come in contact with a COLD exhaust system, will STAY there until you start up the road , disconnect it, and the drive it enough to Heat up that exhaust.

THATS when you'll notice the "burnt rubber" or possibly hot brake smell.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 08:49 PM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Wrangler toad gets smoky smelling

Thanks everyone! I'm seriously relieved at the consensus that road debris burn off is most likely the issue and that the odor is common, particularly on Wranglers. I have had the brakes inspected by my dealer with a report of no undue wear. I've not had these tires on a previous Wrangler, but they don't seem to me to wearing badly.

I also appreciate the point about the braking device being made in Castle Rock. I may try to schedule a stop there the next time I head south. As for putting in a day with no toad braking, I may try that the next time I'm not headed for the mountains. The idea of having to make an urgent stop coming down a steep grade with no toad braking is a little scary. That fear is probably fueled by a trip over Vail Pass in our Tahoe pulling a brakeless trailer loaded with 3 ATVs when we hit a sudden white-out in March (Yeah, it happens in the Rockies.). I slowed way down only to suddenly see a huge pileup ahead. Then again, I might have gotten stopped except for the little VW Bug that drove up under our trailer, sheared the trailer axle off, and skated us right into the whole mess. Hmmm...trailer brakes might not have been useful anyway, huh?
Whlsdn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 08:56 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
I really don't think its common... I've never smelled anything from ours...

I don't know what a fleetwood 35m is, but is it a diesel pusher or gas ?
does your exhaust come out the side or rear?

what do you have between the coach and jeep other than your tow bar and cables that might be heating up...

look at the simple things first, but since the jeep is the common denominator between two rv's and it happened on both...logic says it's something in the jeep setup...

Either it's your adjustment of the toad brakes and they are taking too much of the load when braking or your rv possibly burning fluids ?

easy to check both the jeep and the rv...
I would have someone follow you without the toad to see if it's your rv...
Old 08-17-2017, 09:59 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
We tow a 2012 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon and have not experienced any of the smells that you have described.
zo66 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
smell, toad