Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 07-22-2011, 05:13 PM   #1
Wrangler Toad with Winnebago View

We are considering a Winnebago View (Class C) or Via (Class A) that, for 2012, has a 5000 capacity for towing. Our Jeep Wrangler X is 3700 soaking wet but probably gets to 4500 with rock collecting gear. Can I get away with this? It would be nice to be able to use one of these small Sprinter chassis vehicles to get our off road mule to some sites that are more than a day away from home.

In other words, if you stay within the numbers (pull limits, GCWR, etc.) are you OK or is this all just paper propaganda? I get ambiguous answers from dealers and I would always assume they would say anything to make a sale.

poodlepeople is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-23-2011, 05:28 PM   #2
We have a 2010 Outlook that also has the 5000 lb tow rating. We tow a 2002 Tacoma that weighs 3700 lbs. Because the class c has limited storage space we use the Tacoma with a shell for extra storage. I figure that puts the towed weight around 4500 lbs. I can definitely tell when we are towing or not. I do believe as long as you stay within the Mfg recommendations you will be ok. The real problem is stopping. Be sure you have a brake system for whatever you tow.

Retired RV Technician
Travlin the West
Winnebago Outlook, Victory Vision, Silverado 3500, Dog ,Wife ( not in that order)
Bjsrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 06:16 PM   #3
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thats is what mfg reccomendations are for; to tell you the limits/capacity of the rig--stay with in the weights and s/b are alright---violate them at your peril. I do not know anything about the engine and transmission capacities on your intended rigs that is another subject.

With a dealer I guess I would ask them what you told us "you seem ambiguous---why"? See what they say maybe they have a good reason-----maybe they are not as confident of the numbers as they should be---why? Only way to know is ask.
I do all my own stunts
03 Dolphin LX 6355, Workhorse W22, 8.1 vortec, 04 CR-V, Blue Ox, Brake Pro----Norm, Barb and
Doc(He's a PhD)
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 10:45 AM   #4
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Stay close to the numbers and you should be OK.

With respect to the tow capacity, using the Winnebago View 2011 specs. If the View is loaded to the gills, its GVWR is 11,030 lbs. The maximum weight with the toad is 15,250 lbs. This leaves only 4,220 lbs for the toad, even though there is a 5,000 lb hitch. Even if you were over by 500 lbs I would still do it.

One thing that Winnebago does not list in their specs is the CCC, the cargo carrying capacity. They also don't list the CW, curb weight of the View.

BUT, you will need to load the View up with what you want to take, then get it weighed (4 corners). From this you will be able to make sure the tire pressures are correct and the weight is correctly distributed fore and aft, and side to side. Based on this you might want to make some adjustments.

The Sprinter is a good chassis and the diesel engine will help on the hills. Even though it only has 188 hp, its the 325 lb-ft of torque that make the difference.
2002 35R Southwind, W22 8.1L Vortec UltraPower, 19.5' wheels
Toad: Wrangler, lifted and on 35" tires
alvinc is offline   Reply With Quote

toad, winnebago