Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 02-25-2011, 03:06 PM   #1

Wrangler towing

From previous posts, I have unfortunately found out that towing my wife's Miata with automatic transmission is not the way to go. In order to keep her in a convertible, I was thinking about selling the miata and buying a used wrangler. Still need to have automatic transmission, I am assuming with the wrangler that will not be a problem. Also what am I looking at spending to get up and going down the road.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-25-2011, 04:08 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Spartan Chassis
Bmerritt -

I can't comment on what you will have to pay for a used soft-top Wrangler, but as an owner of an '08 four door hardtop that I've been towing since it was new three years ago I can attest you will have no problem towing the Jeep. Since you have a separate transfer case on the Wrangler, you just leave it in park, put the key in the ignition to release the steer wheel (not necessary on all years) and then put the transfer case in neutral and you're good to go.

There may argueably be more people pulling Jeep Wrangler toads than any other model out there. And used ones are plentiful. On a new four door soft top, I think the entry level - after you wrangle down the price - is low to mid $20's.

Good luck.

2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4x4
deaton is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 05:01 PM   #3
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
We tow an 07 Wrangler Unlimited, and it is easy to set up. If you pay someone else to do everything, and include a braking system, plan on $1500 to $2000, when all is said and done. Also, lowering or removing the soft top on a Wrangler is nothing like the Miata. In fact, it's a royal pain. It is relatively easy, however, to just open the front portion (it flips back, sort of) for what ends up being one of the biggest sun roofs you've ever seen.

If it has to be an automatic, you'll be limited to 4 wheel drive, with a two speed transfer case, or a front drive vehicle and a tow dolly.
2017 GMC Acadia toad
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 06:34 PM   #4

Just make sure to buy the four wheel drive Wrangler. Oddly, there are a few two wheelers out there.
Retired in Apple Valley, California
Rich and Cork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 06:46 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
We're towing an 06 Wrangler Rubicon automatic. In our area 2000 to 2006 s are in the 10to16thousand range with moderate mileage. I can't imagine I will tow anything else!
sparkydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 08:27 AM   #6

I am assuming that as long as it is four wheel drive it can be an automatic and you can still tow four wheels down. Is this correct?
Old 02-26-2011, 08:39 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
I have had, and towed 2 Wranglers with no problems at all. If you get an 09 or up you will not need to leave the key in the ignition to tow because there is no steering lock.
Old 02-26-2011, 09:12 AM   #8
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmerritt View Post
I am assuming that as long as it is four wheel drive it can be an automatic and you can still tow four wheels down. Is this correct?
4WD yes, AWD not necessarily. The 'secret' is, you must have a two speed transfer case with a neutral postition. Most Jeeps will, but not all. Some are, as noted above, 2 wheel drive, and some may be all wheel drive.
2017 GMC Acadia toad
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 05:44 PM   #9

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmerritt View Post
Tow an auto Jeep 4/wd with the transmission in Park and the transfer case in neutral. If you are looking for an older Jeep get a TJ made from '97 to 2006. Make sure you get the straight 6 and not the 4 cylinder. The 6 will run forever and is a great off roader. The TJ is reasonably comfortable and a big improvement over the Wranglers made prior to to 97 (the square headlight YJ).
Vegasdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 10:53 PM   #10

I have towed a TJ Jeep Wrangler for several years now and have not had any problems. Don't need to be concerned with the speed, distance, fuses, etc., issues that some vehicles have.
Old 03-02-2011, 10:48 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
I tow a 2000 TJ and love it.
Jeep cost 5k and only needed minor work, has 228k miles on it and still runs like a top and looks great. I enjoy it so much I use it for my daily driver most of the time.

To set it up to tow:
Blue OX Alladin tow bar, found used for $300, this included the nice blue coiled wiring cable and safety cables.
Blue ox bumper brackets $55.
SMI Stay n Play braking system, used from a forum member for $400.

I did the install of everything myself for free.
Ran a 12 volt lead thru the 6 wire hookup to keep the toad battery charged.
Disabled the steering lock (there is a thread here with pics showing how) so I could tow without the key in.

Super fast hookup. Only have to throw a switch inside the jeep to turn on the braking system. Can't even tell she's back there.
Old 03-02-2011, 11:08 PM   #12

I tow a 1999 Wrangler. Just installed (by myself-easy!!) an M&G air brake system ($600.00 used) Great TOAD!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AZ Xmas 2006 303.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	284.5 KB
ID:	8624  
Old 03-04-2011, 11:08 AM   #13

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Just one more thing. I used to own a Miata (never towed it) and now I tow my 03 Jeep. Yes they both are "convertables" but the Miata was much faster to get the top down and up, 2 clips and flip it back. The Jeep requires a "labor of love" with zippers, clips, folding and cursing. If you get caught in the rain with the top down just drive faster.
Vegasdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 07:32 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegasdan View Post
The Jeep requires a "labor of love" with zippers, clips, folding and cursing. If you get caught in the rain with the top down just drive faster.
Ain't it the truth! I usually just flip the top up and clip the windshield clips. It's those side curtains that are a pita to install / remove. I've full doors so we stay pretty snug up front.

Half doors are on my "want it" list, but darn they are expensive.