Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-16-2015, 06:45 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Florida Cooters Club
Wrangler unlimited tires

My wife tells me that we need a Jeep. My question is what tires should I look for on a new 4 door model. Some come with street tires and others come with a very aggressive tread. I remember another thread talking about tire wear issues. Any thoughts are appreciated.

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-16-2015, 07:18 PM   #2

Listen to the DW and buy the Jeep..

There are so many different tire designs for whatever type of off road driving you will encounter.
From the sandy beaches in North Carolina, to the slick rock in Moab, to thick mud and snow in Ontario. and all places in between.
Some Jeeps never make it off the black top
Generally the more open the tread, less rubber is on the road and will wear faster.
Old 11-16-2015, 07:25 PM   #3
KIX

And the more open the tread the more noise it will create
KIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 07:54 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Depends on what you intend to do with the Jeep. We do fairly aggressive off-roading so have aggressive tires. Very noisy on the highway but work great off highway.

For most, a good all terrain tire works well. If occasional off-roading and trail riding you want something with strong sidewalls to resist sharp rocks, tree roots, and the like.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 09:03 PM   #5

As stated it depends on what you plan on doing with your Jeep.

My soon to be X has a JKU which was the base X model back in 08, has 17in all season goodyear tires. She wouldn't take the jeep offroad at all except for two times. When we were out in Glacier NP traveled on a gravel road in the park & again in the smokey mountains....

If you do not plan on doing serious off road stuff & possibly the occasional gravel road then you do not need anything special.

I just purchased a rubicon hard rock for myself, I plan on doing some offroad, tires are a bit noisy but not to bad
NC25T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 10:34 PM   #6

Ronnie Bledsoe 2006 Dutchstar 43''s Avatar

On my 08 Sahara I have 18' street tires (stock) for everyday use. I have a set of 17"x33's for my Summer trip to Utah and Colorado as well as Winter for off roading in Arizona. The best of both Worlds
Ronnie Bledsoe 2006 Dutchstar 43' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2015, 02:01 PM   #7

My wife also said we need to tow a Jeep so we just bought a new JKU. I had the dealer install a 2" lift and install 35" tires, but was worried about road noise. He described the tires as quieter than stock even though the tread design was moderately aggressive... but he was right. We put a thousand miles on the Jeep last weekend and I was surprised at how smooth and quiet the ride was. Tire choice will completely depend on what you plan on doing with the Jeep, but there are some excellent options available.
Old 11-26-2015, 04:45 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Jayco Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Back in the 80s we were very active in a four wheel drive club. Aggressive tread, howling at highway speeds was "normal".

Jump forward to '07 when we bought a Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon. Most would consider the standard Rubicon tire to be a very aggressive tread design, but tire engineering has come a long way. Those tires were surprisingly quiet. Our current Wrangler has an "all terrain" tire, very quiet.

Can you buy an off road tire that will howl at highway speeds? Absolutely, but you're not going to find them installed on a new vehicle by the OEM.
2024 Ford Expedition
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2015, 04:57 PM   #9

National RV Owners Club
I had to put new tires on my Jeep when I was traveling and didn't have a big selection and ended up with all season radials. Not the least bit aggressive and not noisy but I don't plan on much or heavy off roading.
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2015, 07:06 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by C-PHartley View Post
My wife tells me that we need a Jeep. My question is what tires should I look for on a new 4 door model. Some come with street tires and others come with a very aggressive tread. I remember another thread talking about tire wear issues. Any thoughts are appreciated.

Well Sir
First off, would you be buying new or used? There are different models of "Jeeps" to consider. The Wrangler with close to the top rating for off road performance is the "Rubicon". It's set up from the factory with lots of special off road performance enhancements that are outstanding. I won't go into all of them but, unless otherwise ordered differently, a Rubicon will come with some seriously aggressive tires, right from the factory.

Now, the lower ranked models, will most likely come with more "tame" tires for way better road manners. Any tire or, set of tires can be changed, on new or used Jeeps, to suit the intended drivers and, intended use. The more aggressive a set of tires are, the more non-road friendly they are. But, off road capability will be enhanced.

A large "lugged" tire, as in, a "Mud Terrain" tire, will be of more value in MUD TERRAIN, than say , an ALL TERRAIN tire. One will have to determine just what kind of operating conditions you may be using your Jeep in or on. If you're going to do say, oh about, 90% street and 10% off road, there's no doubt about it, All Terrains will be great for that kind of application.

Even at 50%-50% of road and off road, All Terrains will get you through just about any condition you present at that Jeep.

After 15 years in a row attending the Moab Easter Jeep Safari and, Colorado's Ouray/Silverton/Durango area high country trails etc., I've used both Mud Terrains and All Terrains on the majority of trails in both areas and, made it through each time, with no issues. Knowing that and, having no less than 8 Jeeps, I personally will never have another set of Mud Terrains due to the fact that they are seriously noisy, vibrate in smooth road conditions and, give you worse gas mileage. But, that's just me. If mud conditions are what one intends on incurring, well then maybe Mud Terrains are what you might need.

As for wear, while being towed, it's a non-issue. We've towed thousands and thousand of miles with both and, there's never been any discernable issues with odd or, accelerated tire wear, due to mud or, all terrain tires.
Now, one thing here, if a Wrangler is fitted with primarily street tires, that can decrease off road capability quite a bit. You'll have to choose what's in the stars for you, after determining just what kind of operations your Jeep will see.

So, again, it all depends on just what you plan on doing with the Jeep.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 04:52 AM   #11

I have similar experiences to Scott, and pretty much agree with his post, in fact I cannot think of any instance in which I would prefer a "Mud Terrain" tire over an "All Terrain" tire other than deep mud, also FWIW the "Mud Terrain" tire can be somewhat challenging on a wet road, to being a handful if they are fairly well worn, just sayin.
Old 11-27-2015, 04:54 AM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Florida Cooters Club
Thanks to all. It looks like a wrangler unlimited "Sport" model with all terrain tires is what I need.

Old 11-27-2015, 07:03 AM   #13

We have Goodyear Silent Armor all terrain tires on our 2004 Wrangler.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....151127135056:s

We don't do extremely aggressive off roading, so these have been more than adequate as far as traction, noise, and mileage have been concerned. We got nearly 80,000 miles out of the first set and have about 30,000 on the second set.

The Silent Armor tires have been replaced in the Goodyear lineup with the Wrangler All Terrain Adventure with Kevlar.

https://www.goodyear.com/en-US/tires...rain-adventure

I just put a set of these on our 2010 Ford Expedition. They are as quiet as the Pirelli Scorpions they replaced. I don't yet have any experience either off road or in the snow, but I do expect far better performance than the Pirelli's.
Old 12-07-2015, 02:50 PM   #14

I have a 2012 Wrangler Unlimited, it has a 3" lift and B.F, Goodrich All Terrain 315 70 17" tires very happy with this setup. These tires do hurt the gas mileage but are quiet on the street. We use the Jeep mainly in desert and mountain conditions works very well. No problems towing.
Larry Young is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tires