Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-25-2019, 09:54 AM   #1

Wrangler with Aftermarket Bumper

I currently have a Currie Tow Plate on my JKU but because the tow points are so low I need to use a drop hitch. I'm thinking that with an aftermarket bumper I can get rid of the drop hitch.

It seems that most of the bumper descriptions state "Not Suitable for Towing". I'm sure that's just a CYA statement but was wondering if anyone has ever had any issues using an aftermarket bumper on a Wrangler to to attach the tow bar?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-25-2019, 10:21 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by hohenwald48 View Post
I currently have a Currie Tow Plate on my JKU but because the tow points are so low I need to use a drop hitch. I'm thinking that with an aftermarket bumper I can get rid of the drop hitch.

It seems that most of the bumper descriptions state "Not Suitable for Towing". I'm sure that's just a CYA statement but was wondering if anyone has ever had any issues using an aftermarket bumper on a Wrangler to to attach the tow bar?
Well Sir,
So far, in using aftermarket bumpers AND the recovery tabs for towing in over 35 years, not one of our 9 different Jeeps has ever wandered away from our coaches in all that time of towing. I'm quite sure it's a CYA ploy. And, it's a choice thing. I've built bumpers and know a bit on how things look when attached properly. Our present Jeep, a '15 JKUR is sporting the Smittybilt XRC MOD front bumper and, we've been using the recovery tabs ever since I outfitted that Jeep, a couple of years ago and, so far, no stress cracks, no signs of any form of metal fatigue, no issues what so ever. I didn't even look to see if it was "approved" for towing when we purchased it. The Jeep's still with us, ain't lost it yet.
Scott
Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 10:24 AM   #3

Good morning Hohenwald48; I do not have an after market bumper for my Jk, but I share your concerns. Lots of owners here have posted about towing their Jeep using the recovery tabs on the bumper. So far I have never read about any problems. I also have not researched every after market bumper to see if they all say not to use the tabs for towing. My understanding is that those are RECOVERY tabs on the bumper to install a D ring for recovery of the Jeep incase it need to be pulled out of a struck situation. As far as I know, without a total research, those tabs are welded to the bumper. I am sure the manufactures have great welders, but is there any other means of attachment to the bumper besides the weld? I don't know. When you see how manufactures make tow kits and look at the extent to fasten to many different points to the frame, that leaves me a little uneasy. Yes, everyone is using safety cables or chains, but I still would not want to have a separation of one of the arms from the tow bar to the bumper. Might never happen. This is just my opinion for an answer to your post. Will be interesting to se what others here have to say.
8.3Oilbuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 03:33 PM   #4

Well, according to Smittybilt, their bumpers (some of them at least) are designed to be used with towbars connected to the D-Ring recovery tabs. Smittybilt even makes towbars to connect directly to the recovery tabs on their bumpers.

Smittybilt, as well as many other builders, weld their recovery tabs on both the outside and inside of the bumper. Smittybilt bumpers have a 12,000lb rating for the bumper and recovery tabs.

I have a Smittybilt XRC bumper on my Wrangler and use the recovery tabs as the mounting point for my towbar. I haven't done any research on other Wrangler bumpers but if they were built using at least 3/16" plate steel and had the recovery tabs were welded inside and outside I would have no issue attaching my towbar to them.

Smittybilt Part 87450 - Smittybilt Jeep Tow Bar - 87450-WS4
AKIQPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 03:50 PM   #5

It was important for my piece of mind to spend a couple hundred more to get a bumper that is rated as towable. I just spent $24k on a nice, used Jeep. Why take a chance on a bumper that the manufacturer won’t stand behind?

There a few out there that won’t “break the bank”. I bought a LOD Armor Light for just over $500 that is rated to tow. The Smitty Bilt XRC is similar in price. The others go up from there. I could have gotten a nice looking Rugged Ridge or other for around $350 but the doubt would always be in the back of my mind.
Old 04-25-2019, 04:35 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirchyBoy View Post
It was important for my piece of mind to spend a couple hundred more to get a bumper that is rated as towable. I just spent $24k on a nice, used Jeep. Why take a chance on a bumper that the manufacturer won’t stand behind?

There a few out there that won’t “break the bank”. I bought a LOD Armor Light for just over $500 that is rated to tow. The Smitty Bilt XRC is similar in price. The others go up from there. I could have gotten a nice looking Rugged Ridge or other for around $350 but the doubt would always be in the back of my mind.
The LOD Armor Lite is a good looking bumper with several different styles and options. Great choice.
AKIQPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 04:59 PM   #7
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by hohenwald48 View Post
Yes, a lot have had success towing from the D rings but not all bumpers are created equal. The SmittyBilt, RockHard and LoD bumpers are some of the best but there are a lot of cheaply made bumpers that only have the D rings welded to thin metal. Below is a photo of at least one that broke completely out of the bumper from the constant flex of towing. Yes, you may be able to use the D rings to tow, but be very careful of the quality bumper you use. The very best options are the RockHard or Lod bumpers that have tow points bolted through the bumper directly to the frame. Just my $.02 for what it's worth.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BumperFail1.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	125.9 KB
ID:	243529  
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 06:30 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
I have the Rock Hard with Roadmaster brackets and it works great.
Old 04-26-2019, 11:30 AM   #9

Thanks all. I was considering the Rugged Ridge Spartan. It doesn't have recovery tabs welded to the bumper but they are welded to a separate plate that is then bolted to the end of the frame rails with 4 bolts each. Seems strong enough but I guess I need to do more research.
Old 04-26-2019, 11:46 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt Dan View Post
Yes, a lot have had success towing from the D rings but not all bumpers are created equal. The SmittyBilt, RockHard and LoD bumpers are some of the best but there are a lot of cheaply made bumpers that only have the D rings welded to thin metal. Below is a photo of at least one that broke completely out of the bumper from the constant flex of towing. Yes, you may be able to use the D rings to tow, but be very careful of the quality bumper you use. The very best options are the RockHard or Lod bumpers that have tow points bolted through the bumper directly to the frame. Just my $.02 for what it's worth.
In your picture, is the left arm still attached and the Wrangler has pushed all the way forward so that arm is parallel?
BirchyBoy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 11:50 AM   #11

Ford Super Duty Owner
I called Warn to ask them about tow bar use with their rock crawler bumper (no longer made) that is on the front of my Jeep.

I first asked them about the strength of the recovery points on the bumpers.
The guy went on and on about how they would hold the jeeps weight and then some.

Then I asked about the tow-bar on recovery point idea. .......

Well that idea floated like lead balloon.
It sounded like he was reading script, about how the "Constant Jerking" of towbar use would result in bumper failure.

It was clearly a CYA tactic.
(RVM#26) THE U-RV 94 F-700/24 foot U-haul box home built RV
Mekanic is offline   Reply With Quote