Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-09-2012, 12:13 AM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingDiver View Post
To the OP -

You'll get fans of all the different tow system vendors. We went with Blue Ox because the baseplate on their systems is less conspicuous than the others (In our opinion). We've had their baseplates on a 2008 Buick Enclave, 2010 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited, and now a 2012 Jeep Liberty. Same towbar, just different baseplates.

I've always used specialty hitch shops for the install. I wouldn't trust most RV dealers to do it right, nor a Jeep dealer. Blue Ox has an authorized installer lookup on their website, or use the contact form to ask them. The on-line database isn't very accurate, for some reason. We've had two of the three installs done by Spillar Hitch in Austin, for example. The other was by a hitch and towing shop in Phoenix, when we bought the Wrangler in Scottsdale.

The base plate installer will usually be able to do the light setup as well. They're commonly done at the same time. Blue Ox sells a lighting kit for most of the cars they have baseplates for.

Some of the shops that do a lot of baseplate business also have experience installing brake systems. Randy at Spillar is also doing the install of our SMI Air Force One, but I have to bring it back in after I get a couple replacement parts from SMI. He's got experience installing them, but does not sell SMI and doesn't have the parts.

If you get an in-vehicle brake system, there might not be much installation to do.

joe
Thanks, Joe. You've given me lots of food for thought. (Just when I think I "get it", there's something else to consider. )
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-09-2012, 12:17 AM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by teamwally View Post
Good questions, TJ jeeps are super simple to tow. We have had great success with the Roadmaster systems. We've settled on the Falcon. I just lock the bar on the Jeep when not towing. I tried the leave on the MoHo version and frankly found the Falcon less work. I use locking hitch pins on the base plate to bar mounts and on the thru pins as well. Less chance of idle hands being mischievous that way. Wiring was super easy, 6 pin connector in the grill, just down and over from the the headlight. 3 diodes to protect the Jeep wiring and away we go. The big bucks for the mounting plate was a bit of a shock, however Roadmaster has done the research. We've upgraded to a pusher and are now contemplating equipping DW's Tahoe so will probably add a brake system.
Thanks, Terry. Nice to have an opposing view of sorts! I had not considered the "bar on the Jeep". Guess I don't want to mess up that cute Jeep face. I thought I read on another post about the diodes possibly voiding the Jeep warranty? (I don't know why that would be, but I read it someplace.)
Old 02-09-2012, 01:31 AM   #17

Winnebago Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Camping World has probably done more than all the others combined. They do use Roadmaster products which I am not a big fan of as I have had several failures.

Check out Craig's List as often times they have systems for sale.

Don
Grimesy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 04:35 AM   #18

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Well whatever you decide on hope all works out great for you. We had planned on towing the pt 4 down but when we purchased it the equipment I wanted was 6 weeks out at the time. Hence, the tow dolly but I don't mind it at all. Keep us informed in what you decide on.
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 07:17 AM   #19

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
You get the towing "Stuff" at your RV dealer or at a "hitch World" (not sure about HW)

The best: Whatever they carry,, I have Blue OX myself, but frankly there is not a lot to recommend any of the top brands over the other with one exception.. Ready Brute.

You should add an aux braking systems,, And I am a firm beliver in Keep It Super Simple, the simplest is the Ready Brake (Which the Ready Brute tow bar has a feature to recommend it... The brake) this is a surge brake system, No adjustments, easy hookup, invisible when driving jeep.

If your MH has air brakes.. M&G fits most jeeps, US-Gear fits all jeeps, Invisi-Brake looks good on paper but... Not enough posts about 'em yet (only one bad one and that was the installer's fault)

Box systems like Even Brake, Brake Buddy and the like have to be installed EVERY TIME you tow, Too much work, thus a negative recommendation.

And finally tow lights.

Make sure the alignment shop knows you will be towing it.

And that's about all.
Old 02-09-2012, 10:32 AM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
You get the towing "Stuff" at your RV dealer or at a "hitch World" (not sure about HW)

The best: Whatever they carry,, I have Blue OX myself, but frankly there is not a lot to recommend any of the top brands over the other with one exception.. Ready Brute.

You should add an aux braking systems,, And I am a firm beliver in Keep It Super Simple, the simplest is the Ready Brake (Which the Ready Brute tow bar has a feature to recommend it... The brake) this is a surge brake system, No adjustments, easy hookup, invisible when driving jeep.

If your MH has air brakes.. M&G fits most jeeps, US-Gear fits all jeeps, Invisi-Brake looks good on paper but... Not enough posts about 'em yet (only one bad one and that was the installer's fault)

Box systems like Even Brake, Brake Buddy and the like have to be installed EVERY TIME you tow, Too much work, thus a negative recommendation.

And finally tow lights.

Make sure the alignment shop knows you will be towing it.

And that's about all.
No air brakes; we're a gasser. I'm really looking hard at the ReadyBrute system. Need to get input from owners of that one. Thanks.
Old 02-09-2012, 02:43 PM   #21

Hi Sarah, You might want to consider the Currie Base Plate. It servess double duty as a protector for the front of the Jeep as well as a Tow Bar mount.
I am also going with the Ready Brute elite system. I have read so much about it and it seems to be so simple and easy to use.
I am also Towing my 2012 Jeep 4dr.
Here is the Currie site they are well known in the Jeep after market.
Currie Enterprises CJ Axle Parts
Price is also right.
Robert
Old 02-09-2012, 04:35 PM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrier2 View Post
Hi Sarah, You might want to consider the Currie Base Plate. It servess double duty as a protector for the front of the Jeep as well as a Tow Bar mount.
I am also going with the Ready Brute elite system. I have read so much about it and it seems to be so simple and easy to use.
I am also Towing my 2012 Jeep 4dr.
Here is the Currie site they are well known in the Jeep after market.
Currie Enterprises CJ Axle Parts
Price is also right.
Robert
Thanks for that info, Robert. I agree that the ReadyBrute Elite looks like a great solution. I have not heard any negatives about that setup. I'll check out the Currie; thanks for the link.
Old 02-09-2012, 04:39 PM   #23

Sarah, I go with the Ready brake. Pretty nice and simple system. www.readybrake.com
John H... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 04:42 PM   #24
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by John H... View Post
Sarah, I go with the Ready brake. Pretty nice and simple system. www.readybrake.com
Thanks, John. Have you used the ReadyBrake yourself? How's it holding up? Any problem with it?
Old 02-09-2012, 09:19 PM   #25

Sarah, Yes I have. Was on a 4 door Chevy Tracker and we sold it and now getting our Jeep Liberty ready. Never had any problems with it and works well. Seems they have an even better one now.
John H... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 01:53 PM   #26
Moderator Emeritus

OK!! We bought the 2012 Wrangler today. Time to get serious about the tow equipment!! Thanks again, everyone.
Old 02-11-2012, 07:28 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D
First off, is the Jeep towable four down? Not all of them are.
I had a 2011 JGC and picked the Roadmaster tow equipment. Unlike Blue Ox, RM bolts directly to a major front suspension member. I chose SMI's Air Force One brake system and used diodes to illuminate the lights.

FWIW, not all transmissions support towing. With all the problems I had with my V-8 powered JGC I hope you bought the V-6.

Gil
ImagineIF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 07:34 PM   #28
TAZ

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I like the stowmaster. I will post a pic tommorrow. Easy hook up and just folds up on the frontof the jeep. You can tak it off but i leave mine on.

Improvise, adapt and overcome... "Semper Fi"
TAZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
toad