Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 02-18-2012, 11:18 AM   #29

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Where do those of you with a Liberty toad and a break away switch place the bracket on your Jeep? Can you post a pic of it also?

gmadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-19-2012, 10:09 PM   #30

Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Decided that we needed a toad, and just bought the 2012 Jeep Wrangler Sport, as well. I decided on doing the baseplate myself, since Camping World was the only place available & I have not had any good experiences with them. I'm somewhat handy & limited DIYer, and was able to put it on in a few hours. I took my time due to my physical & medical limitations. Overall, it was easy & looks good, MY OPINION. I used the Roadmaster Tail Light Wiring Kit With Bulbs tow light kit, where you have to run the wires [I ran them under & thru the framework] to the tail lights. At the tail lights, you drill a 1" hole in the plastic housing [from the back side] & place in one [1] bulb in each housing.....VERY EASY!!! The bulb, one in each housing, handles the running lights/stop lights/left & right turn signals. No messing with the Jeeps electrical system [which I wouldn't try, anyway], diodes or whatever else one would have to do. I bought the baseplate & light wiring kit from e-trailer. Oh, I did have to drill out 4 bolt holes for the base plate. The instructions by Blue Ox made it very simple.

For the braking system, I went with the ReadyBrute and it was a very easy install..

Either way, have FUN with your new JEEP...the DW just loves it!!!! Glad she does, since we traded in her Toyota Solara Convertible

Old 02-19-2012, 10:34 PM   #31

Monaco Owners Club
I bought and installed the Readybrute Elite towbar/surge brake system and Blue Ox base plate myself on my 08 Unlimited. It was super easy and didn't require special equipment. I also went with the Cool Tech wiring harness that was also super easy to install. Best part about it all is it was by far the most cost effective solution.
Old 02-20-2012, 01:17 AM   #32
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeelarry View Post
Decided that we needed a toad, and just bought the 2012 Jeep Wrangler Sport, as well. I decided on doing the baseplate myself, since Camping World was the only place available & I have not had any good experiences with them. I'm somewhat handy & limited DIYer, and was able to put it on in a few hours. I took my time due to my physical & medical limitations. Overall, it was easy & looks good, MY OPINION. I used the Roadmaster Tail Light Wiring Kit With Bulbs tow light kit, where you have to run the wires [I ran them under & thru the framework] to the tail lights. At the tail lights, you drill a 1" hole in the plastic housing [from the back side] & place in one [1] bulb in each housing.....VERY EASY!!! The bulb, one in each housing, handles the running lights/stop lights/left & right turn signals. No messing with the Jeeps electrical system [which I wouldn't try, anyway], diodes or whatever else one would have to do. I bought the baseplate & light wiring kit from e-trailer. Oh, I did have to drill out 4 bolt holes for the base plate. The instructions by Blue Ox made it very simple.

For the braking system, I went with the ReadyBrute and it was a very easy install..

Either way, have FUN with your new JEEP...the DW just loves it!!!! Glad she does, since we traded in her Toyota Solara Convertible
Thanks for the encouraging post! So you went with the Blue Ox baseplace, Roadmaster wiring kit, and Ready Brute towbar/brake? That sounds like the setup we're going with...but still trying to decide between the wiring kit or a CoolTech wiring harness.

We love our new Wrangler, too! In fact, I started looking at them and mentioned that it would be a cute toad. It ended up that we traded my hubby's Tahoe and HE is driving the Jeep. Dang!!

SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 01:18 AM   #33
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by dashdriver View Post
I bought and installed the Readybrute Elite towbar/surge brake system and Blue Ox base plate myself on my 08 Unlimited. It was super easy and didn't require special equipment. I also went with the Cool Tech wiring harness that was also super easy to install. Best part about it all is it was by far the most cost effective solution.
Thanks for the input on the Cool Tech wiring harness. We're trying to decide whether to go that route.

Old 02-20-2012, 02:02 PM   #34
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
OK! Finally, the decisions are made! Thanks to all who responded; it is so great to have input from actual users when trying to decide on a product. I found an online retailer (Tow Bars Unlimited) with a great price on the entire ReadyBrute Elite setup, including Blue Ox baseplate and wiring, for less than $1500 total. We will be installing the stuff ourselves...or at least we THINK so.

Old 08-14-2012, 11:03 AM   #35

SarahW: I think that you made a good choice. If I had not already purchased a Falcon 2 tow bar several years ago, I too would have bought a setup like yours, including the Blue Ox baseplate.

The only thing I didn't like about Blue Ox baseplate is that their instructions indicate that another cable is to be wrapped around the baseplate and connected to the vehicles frame. I also didn't like that the horizontal bar was connected with small bolts to the frame and that is all that holds it. The Roadmaster EZ that I bought connects to the frame with much larger bolts and more of them. I am sure that both work equally well, however.

Happy traveling!
Old 08-15-2012, 05:29 PM   #36

Blue Ox told me when I was there and had a new baseplate fabricated for my '12 COD Jeep with AEV front bumper, that they are no longer using the safety cables around the frame...not necessary.
Old 08-16-2012, 10:25 PM   #37

justaroamer: that's interesting. The one for my 2009 Jeep Liberty does need one whether they think so or not - and they seem to think so too, since it is in their instructions. They use three small bolts (3/8") to connect it to the frame where the tow hooks go. The only reinforcing is a plate inside the frame opening where the hooks were located.

The Roadmaster connects to the forward subframe bolt and to two plates above and below at the tow hooks plus bottom and back of the bumper core using all 1/2" bolts - just looking at it, it looks heavier duty than the Blue Ox.
Old 08-17-2012, 11:13 AM   #38

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Who makes the best tow bar? Well when I next tow a towed I will likely use a Blue-OX. I ahve used it in the past and it's a good one.. Roadmaster. aqlso good, Other companies I have not heard about till recently like DEMCO.. I've seen their product and see nothing wrong with it.

READY BRUTE With READY brake.. If I was buying new today. is the way I'd likely go because it address two needs in one shipping carton.

Whatever you tow with DO NOT FORGET THE BRAKES.

Now there are many braking systems I will cover a few

M&G,, If your towing vehicle has air brakes. GOOD choice for the jeep line, These install one time between the booster and the master cylinder, they ignore the brake booster so you do not need to mess with it, they run on air pressure from the motor home.

Air Force One, is a pedal puller, works a lot like the M&G save you do bleed off air pressure.

Invisible Brake runs off the tow lights leads. it comes with a vacuum booster pump.
Charges the towed battery via the tail light lead on the lights

US-Gear Unified brake Decelerator, Another pedal puller, has a vacuum pump ,and the most control of any of the systems over the towed brakes, Has a towed charge lead.

Box systems: (Even brake, Apollo, Brake buddy) are more hassle then they are worth, You need to install them EVERY TIME and the odds that sooner or later you will goof and mess things up or that you wil say "OH, this is shuch a short run, I'll just forget it" Very high. I seriously recommend against them.
Old 08-18-2012, 06:10 PM   #39

jwwing......Don't know when you had yours installed, but they installed mine in May '12 and told me that at the factory in Pender, NE maybe just the Wranglers. When I installed my baseplate on my '08 Wrangler, the cable wraps were part of the install.
Here is my new setup with no aux. cables that they did.
Old 08-19-2012, 05:44 PM   #40

justaroamer: LOL, you are right - that Wrangler base plate is built like a truck! It uses the same hefty 1/4" plate, but has two 5/8" bolts and one 1/2" bolt on each side. They were able to bolt the plates to the side of the frame which puts the bolts in shear and not in tension at all, where on the Liberty where the plates are bolted to the bottom of the bumper core with three 3/8" bolts, the bolts are somewhat in shear, but also in tension which leads me to think that they need that extra cable that they provide in the package.

I did not install the Blue Ox, I installed a Roadmaster EZ version that uses two receiver brackets mounted to the frame using four 1/2" bolts and one larger subframe bolt (already on the vehicle). The single subframe bolt is strong enough, but it would allow pivoting if used alone, hence the other bolts. For my vehicle, there is no question in my mind which is the better design. Blue Ox could have fixed their design by tying to the subframe bolt somehow, but they didn't. They also had trouble getting the bolts into position - needed to drop them in using wire wrapped on the bolts. Both used reinforcing plates, but Roadmaster has two, one inside and one outside with the bumper core material sandwiched between - much stronger IMHO.

That said - the design of your Blue Ox looks stronger yet, simple and really heavy duty - like a Cat III hitch almost. The thing I thought was nice about the Blue Ox designs was that they provided the connector mounts and the place to put the breakaway switch which Roadmaster doesn't.

Cool looking Jeep, too!
Old 08-19-2012, 06:02 PM   #41

wa8yxm: I sure agree with you that the Ready Brake Brute looks like the best deal - I think I would have bought that one had I not already owned a Falcon 2 tow bar. I had owned a Demco aluminum tow bar, but that thing was a bear to unhook. I towed a 93 Explorer and then a 2003 Jeep Liberty Sport for several years behind a 1993 Itasca diesel pusher. I could never feel either one of them when I wanted to stop that thing, neither of them had supplemental brakes - but I think you are right about needing brakes. (I switched to 5er in 2005 and now back to a 2004 Fleetwood Flair gasser motorhome in 2012. Had enough dealing with that 5er junk.)

I hope you are wrong about the Apollo, etc, style brake units though - I just installed a Patriot and it sure seems easy to install and setup. I haven't tried it yet - so that's why I hope you are wrong, LOL. It is easy to get it in and out, and two buttons to set her up. Only thing is where to park it when you're not using it! New price was $729 (rebuilt - I am a glutton for punishment.)

Thanks for the info!

Tags
toad