Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 06-13-2013, 06:14 PM   #1

National RV Owners Club
Florida Cooters Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Yet another noob asking the same questions that have probably been asked 100 times...

I have literally spent all week researching used Jeep Wranglers or tow dollys. I have flopped back and forth ever since purchasing our MH. I was ready to buy a jeep and tow 4 down until I ran the $ numbers. I've now decided I will keep our exixting vehicles - 2012 Nissan Versa and 2007 Silverado. The Nissan will be Toad on a dolly.

Now comes the questions: I'm down to two choices for the dolly. A Landgrebe or an Acme EZ Tow. IMO, both have pros and cons.

Landgrebe
  • Only has a 1 year warranty and it is kind of vague on what it covers.
  • Is all steel.
  • I like the A frame.
  • Available with additional carrying features
  • Standard 14" tires. Available with 15"
Acme
  • Disk brakes
  • 5 year warranty
  • Maintenance free bearings
  • Tires are only 10"
Both have surge breakers available, spare tire and carrier.

I'm concerned about the load range of both dolly tires. I do not have it in front of me right now, everything here is from memory, but I believe both are load range C.

Looking for your recommendations and experiences. I will likely put on 6 - 10 thousand miles per year - unless diesel increases drastically.

LakeKerrGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-13-2013, 08:06 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
I have the Acme EZE Tow and it does a great job. If you use the irv2 search feature, you will find more than enough opinions to decide... Good luck!

StevieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 08:17 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I have ~$700 in getting my current Jeep TJ flat-towable. Used Blue Ox tow bar, used Brake Buddy - both via Craigslist. Then some brackets to attach to after market bumper.

I would not want to have to deal with a tow dolly, no thank you.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 08:25 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
I have a tow dolly because it came with the mh. If I had to start from scratch, after seeing how much less time and effort it takes to hook and unhook a 4 down setup, I would most likely go that way.
Old 06-13-2013, 08:59 PM   #5

National RV Owners Club
Florida Cooters Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I understand

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsheetz View Post
I have ~$700 in getting my current Jeep TJ flat-towable. Used Blue Ox tow bar, used Brake Buddy - both via Craigslist. Then some brackets to attach to after market bumper.

My comment about the expense is more about the fact that I do not own a 4 down towable vehicle. If I did, there would be no discussion. I want to keep my truck so replacing it with a jeep would be painful. Where we live, a truck is almost a necessity.

Getting rid of the Versa and replacing with a jeep would leave me with 2 gas hogs. To give an idea how far we live from town, the Versa is 13 months old and has 24,000 miles on it already. It would be painful to put that kind of miles on a jeep.

If we are ever able to go full time, I'll own a jeep as my only 4 wheeled vehicle.
Old 06-13-2013, 09:06 PM   #6

National RV Owners Club
Florida Cooters Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Did that

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevieG View Post
I have the Acme EZE Tow and it does a great job. If you use the irv2 search feature, you will find more than enough opinions to decide... Good luck!
I may have quit reading too soon, but I did not find any discussion about the 10" tires on the Acme; little warranty on the Landbrege; "maintenance free" bearings on the Acme; or load range of the tires.

I guess what I'm looking for is more specific reasons why one likes or dislikes either one of my choices.

How long have you had the EZE tow, how many miles have you put on it, have you had any issues with the tires, how much does your Toad weigh?
Old 06-13-2013, 10:34 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeKerrGuy View Post
My comment about the expense is more about the fact that I do not own a 4 down towable vehicle. If I did, there would be no discussion. I want to keep my truck so replacing it with a jeep would be painful. Where we live, a truck is almost a necessity.

Getting rid of the Versa and replacing with a jeep would leave me with 2 gas hogs. To give an idea how far we live from town, the Versa is 13 months old and has 24,000 miles on it already. It would be painful to put that kind of miles on a jeep.

If we are ever able to go full time, I'll own a jeep as my only 4 wheeled vehicle.
I now see what you mean. I am fortunate that I don't drive many miles, as I am a virtual employee and work from the residence. The Jeep sees only a few thousand miles a year - most of that behind the MH or trail riding. I also understand about a truck, I keep one around for hauling and DIY projects.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 12:07 AM   #8
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Congrats on the wise decision to dolly tow. This toad and any future car you want to tow will be very happy up high on the dolly away from rock strikes and saving all those miles on the bottom of the driveline.

I have an Eze tow...love it!
Car Tow Dolly -The Lightest and Toughest Tow Dolly For All Car Towing Needs - Acme Car Tow Dolly Company
Got it second hand and have put over 10,000 miles on it in a year and a half. Problem free towing SUV that weighs just under 3500lb. Looking to get new straps but really don't need them yet.

The tray is the widest available at 80"
Weight limit is a fat 4985lb.
The surge/disc brakes are standard. Infinately/automatically adjustable by weight on tongue.
The vault hubs are standard.
The dolly is all steel angle stock and welded...no fasteners that come loose. No tubes to rust on the inside.
The tires are NOT go-cart tires and wear like car tires.
The 10" rims allow for a low cargo tray without a deep bend in the axle...just stronger.
Only 400lb unloaded...easy to roll around by 1 normal sized person.
There is no pivot tray - prevents dolly fender from hitting the side of the toad.
There is no steering axle - simple and easy to maintain.
Removable ramps - prevent contact with underside of low cars possible with fixed ramp dollys.

I think it is a pretty simple decision. There is only 1 trick with the EZE-tow...unlock the steering (if there is a lock) to make the proper pivot point for sharp turns.

BTW I have towed several vehicles from a 2 door accent (tiny) to a Ford E150 full sizd van! EZE Tow did it - EZE!

Best of luck
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (Ret), Damon Outlaw #1193
I have seen gross intolerance shown in support of tolerance, Samuel Coleridge
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 12:53 AM   #9

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by StevieG View Post
I have a tow dolly because it came with the mh. If I had to start from scratch, after seeing how much less time and effort it takes to hook and unhook a 4 down setup, I would most likely go that way.
I've done both with the same MH AND the same towed. If I start with everything removed from the Odyssey then the hook up/loading time is less with dolly. Since we have a KK-460 it folds some. Only once have I had to park it away from the RV and that was at an FMCA rally.
In actual practice it's 50/50 for me. On a dolly the Ody follows the MH around corners better, no rock damage, no battery rundown, no wear on the Ody driveline and brakes, plus I can tow more than one vehicle. When we want to go to a new towed just about any front wheel drive vehicle, stick or auto can be used, not so going four down. No worry about buying/installing new brackets or braking system each time although I do wire the vehicle into the dolly lights.
Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 09:32 AM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Scarab, you are 100% right about everything you said about the Acme Eze Tow! It really is built like a Brick $h!t house! Love the maintenance free hubs, the surge disk brakes, that I have to make NO mods to the car (which is leased) and very eze on and off the stowable ramps. The tires seem more than adeqaute to keep up with the mh without burning up the hubs. I recently purchased new straps myself from US Cargo Control. They are the basket type with the hooks (rated for 12K lbs.) and they cost $55 shipped. Now I have new ones to tow and 2 spares.

LakeKerrGuy, I tow a 2012 VW Passat, FWD manual. I almost don't even know it's back there except for seeing it in my rearview camera. The ignition has a position in between lock and "on" that unlocks the wheel and doesn't draw power. Like I said, I got it with the mh, but it looks like the PO did his research and got the best one... lucky me!

Mr. D, I also agree with your reasoning to tow on a dolly vs. towing down. The mods and wear could be enough to keep me "dollying" for now... I guess it's a matter of preference and each individual situation that would dictate the right or best way to go...

I guess the most important thing is to make sure what ever way you go, you make sure your toad is securely attached and check it frequently as you go down the road. Other than that... Enjoy your trips!
Old 06-14-2013, 09:45 AM   #11

I have a Landgrebe, spare tire, third wheel and swapped lights for LEDs just cause I like 'em. This is a great dolly. I did remove the steering stabilizer as it seemed to me to be nothing more than a shock absorber. There was no difference in its performance. I like the way the wheels steer while the fenders remain fixed. I can't see any reason for a lengthly warranty with a rig built this well.
Old 06-14-2013, 09:56 AM   #12

National RV Owners Club
Florida Cooters Club
Freightliner Owners Club
[QUOTE I can't see any reason for a lengthly warranty with a rig built this well.[/QUOTE]

How long have you had it? I guess how many miles would be more important.

Anyone ever had any repair issues with a Landberge either in or out of warranty?

I have seen many posts about great service from Acme. Just wondering about Landberge.
Old 06-30-2013, 11:13 PM   #13

Towing - Jeep is the answer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsheetz View Post

I too fought with this question, but in the end what will you really be happy with. What do you really want to do. For us we use our RV to get out, really out, to do a little exploring, to be outside, experience the wind, the sun, the elements. Jeep Wrangler soft top is the only way to go. When we meet up with our friends on an RV trip and we decide to go exploring the back roads, we always take the Jeep, top down. When you buy a Jeep, you are buying a personality, not just a toad. Our group of six RV'ers is now consisting of four (4) Wranglers and the other two, well it is just a matter of time. I can hook up my Jeep within 5 to 10 minutes, and I am not looking for a place to store the dolly.
Old 06-30-2013, 11:35 PM   #14

Get the EZ tow and change tires to 14"

stink is offline   Reply With Quote