Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 11-13-2011, 05:46 PM   #1

Appalachian Campers
Carolina Campers
Your advice on brakes

I am going to purchase a trailer to haul the golf cart and the Buick Enclave. I have been looking at the HD model by Racecars......com.

They offer the surge brake model and the electric brake models. This has a platform for the golf cart and a tow dolly for the vehicle. Now before I buy, here is my question.
I have the SMI Air Force One on the Buick Enclave. This is air activated by the MH. Now with the front tires on a dolly, do I need additional braking offered by the tow dolly or will the rear tires on the Enclave be enough?

Your thoughts?

Just Because is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-13-2011, 06:06 PM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
My thought would be to not use the brakes on the Enclave other than for break away. Get surge brakes on the trailer/dolly and just use them. Keep in mind, this was only my opinion.

George Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 07:44 PM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by George Z View Post
My thought would be to not use the brakes on the Enclave other than for break away. Get surge brakes on the trailer/dolly and just use them. Keep in mind, this was only my opinion.
X2 I belive the brakes on the dolly are set for stopping the weight of the dolly AND The vehicle on it .

I also think I'd hook the Air Force breakaway brakes so that if the dolly breaks away from the RV it will be applied as well as the breakaway brakes on the dolly.
(RVM#26) THE U-RV 94 F-700/24 foot U-haul box home built RV
Mekanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 08:02 PM   #4

Vintage RV Owners Club
Agreed with everything above, except for the surge brakes. Electric trailer brakes are far better then surge brakes on many levels, first of which is control. If your unit sways for any reason, a quick tap on the electric brake will pull it back in alignment. Decending a hill with surge brakes is a PIA, as the brakes will engage only when the tow vehicle is stopping, but will not assist in slowing the rig on decent.

I recently converted my tandem axle boat trailer that hauls our 22 foot sport cuddy from surge brakes to electric. Electric brakes will not hold up in salt water usage, however our boat is a fresh water lake boat, so there is no problems. We have towed our 17 foot bass rig with electric brakes for 20 years with no issues at all. We love the control and shortened stopping distance with the electric brakes over the original surge brakes. The electric also has much smoother operation. None of the jearking and banging that surge brakes are famous for.
Old 11-15-2011, 10:38 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcsprayjr View Post
Agreed with everything above, except for the surge brakes. Electric trailer brakes are far better then surge brakes on many levels, first of which is control. If your unit sways for any reason, a quick tap on the electric brake will pull it back in alignment. Decending a hill with surge brakes is a PIA, as the brakes will engage only when the tow vehicle is stopping, but will not assist in slowing the rig on decent.

I recently converted my tandem axle boat trailer that hauls our 22 foot sport cuddy from surge brakes to electric. Electric brakes will not hold up in salt water usage, however our boat is a fresh water lake boat, so there is no problems. We have towed our 17 foot bass rig with electric brakes for 20 years with no issues at all. We love the control and shortened stopping distance with the electric brakes over the original surge brakes. The electric also has much smoother operation. None of the jearking and banging that surge brakes are famous for.
I agree with gcsprayjr on the electric brakes. I've had a couple trailers with surge brakes and didn't like way they operated. With a heavy load they would activate much quicker than when the trailer was empty. They also had a tendency to grab and release when going over rough or uneven terrain.
Our latest trailer and our tow dolly both have electric brakes. They can be set in several different modes and dialed into the load you are pulling. We use a Tekonsha Prodigy controller which can be set to provide proportional braking meaning it can be set to apply the brakes on the trailer/dolly at the same rate as the towing vehicle.

I would never want to go back to a surge brake system.

Tags
brakes