Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 12-18-2015, 10:57 AM   #15

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
BPoland - Glad to hear you like the Jeep. There are always some that have problems and the Lemon Law is there to protect the consumer against such things as you have experienced. To your original question, the buyback or replacement calculations usually covers such add ons. You need to be sure and bring that subject up as you negotiate the final figures. They usually cover taxes and fees as well. It depends on the state and what the state's requirements are under their particular LL. The intent is to try and make the owner "whole" as much as possible. You will need to furnish receipts showing the additional expenses - ie, the purchase and installation of the tow equipment, taxes, tags, etc. If you do a trade or replacement vehicle, it could be for a vehicle on the dealers lot or one he locates, much like any other time you would be shopping for a new Jeep. You would also have the option of ordering a new one spec'd out as you want it. In any event, the deal is that you are going to be responsible for any difference in MSRP between the two vehicles if the new one is higher priced. If you go into a lower priced unit then the difference is figured in and refunded to you. If financed, they sometimes will work out a substitution of collateral with the lender. In effect, the loan stays as is, just on a different vehicle. Lots and lots of different variables depending on your exact circumstances and situation. Good luck with it. If you do go to another Cherokee, I hope it will be a better experience for you. They really are nice vehicles.
jt

harleyjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-18-2015, 06:51 PM   #16

This might not be too bad.

Just heard from the replacement facilitator. They go strictly by the original MSRP. That is the figure they use. Add to that any after market installs that you have valid receipts for (baseplate, wiring and labor) plus any taxes up to the MSRP, titling and registration included. You can use that money towards any dodge/Chrysler/Jeep/Fiat product. The only out of pocket expense would be if your original MSRP was for say $36,000 and you picked something out that was $40,000. You would have to pay $4,000 and the taxes on that $4,000.

Prices have gone up on the 2016s. My 2015 Cherokee Limited had an MSRP of $36,265. An identical 2016 Cherokee Limited has an MSRP of $36,315 (+$50).

So, if it goes the way it's supposed to, my net cost for the 2016 will be $53. That will also have a new warranty, free year of uConnect, and Sirius XM radio.

Also any cash back, rebates, or dealer incentives do not apply.

BPoland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2015, 07:10 PM   #17

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPoland View Post
In order to be towed 4 down, the Cherokee has to have the Active Drive II option. While it is standard on the Trail Hawk model it has to be optioned on the Limited. Probably 95% have the AD I (standard) transmission. That will make it more difficult to find the replacement. For that reason, I think the replacement will be a 16. I has to have they same level of options that the original has. Mine has the optional CD player, but they could substitute the upgraded stereo in it's place (less expensive option). I would also be willing accept a different color as long as I agree to it. What they can't do, is replace a top of the line Limited with a base model Latitude.

From what I understand, you have 3 options. Replacement, trade it in on another Dodge, Chrysler Jeep product, or a buy back.

Since I love how the Cherokee tows, and how easy it is to setup for towing, I have decided to stick with the Cherokee. No car will ever be perfect, but when things go wrong, as long as the dealer/company stands behind their product, I'll give it another shot.

Another Item worth mentioning is that through this whole process, there has not been any lawyers involved. Sometimes being nice and treating the person on the other end of the phone properly does pay dividends. As Patrick Swayze once said "Be nice, until it time to not be nice."
How refreshing to read your last paragraph - if only more people would live this way

Happy towing in your new Cherokee - I have towed mine over 15K miles and still love it
rream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2015, 07:15 PM   #18

Very interesting. Please keep us posted.
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2015, 09:28 PM   #19

rream -after spending time working in customer service on a phone, I learned the difference that a pleasant and respectful demeanor can have on a situation. You can get your point across without yelling. That being said, sometimes the person on the other end mistakes being nice, for being stupid or a push over. Had this looked like it was going the other way, I would have no problem calling that law firm of Yurass Ismine Be nice, until it's time to not be nice. Then you better have your ducks in a row and everything documented.

The only sore spot thus far has been the dealership near my home, the one that I have used exclusively, refuses to be involved in the replacement process, since I did not buy the car from them. I have to go back to the dealer I found the car at, which is 16 miles further away. I guess RV dealers aren't the only ones that pull that stunt.
Old 12-18-2015, 09:37 PM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
THANK you for the "Be nice" quote -
I just spent 30 minutes of youtube watching excerpts from that lil movie
Old 12-19-2015, 05:43 PM   #21

Bill if the dealer that has been getting all of your service doesn't want to play, perhaps a quick chat with the General Manager. Still no interest I would be inclined to drive the 16 miles for service to someone who took care of 'ya. Can you imagine if you had move out of state?
ghaynes754 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 06:07 PM   #22

Monaco Owners Club
I am glad that Jeep stood behind their product and are treating the way you would expect.

I, on the other hand, did not fair as well with my 2005 GC during the N23 recall fiasco. This had to do with the vehicle slipping into neutral by itself, even with the key out.

I got the first recall notice and immediately made an appointment for the recall. Well the first time we tried to put into neutral no go and a service 4WD light came on. Took it in and the reflashed again.

Same thing happen, this time to my wife and she was stranded in NY by herself, had to take it to a dealer up there for another reflash. Same thing happen to her in FL, luckily I was meeting her to take a vacation and had to drive the Jeep home to TN. At this point I found a work around on the internet, pulling a 20 amp fuse reset the computer.

This went on for 1.5 years before they finally sent out another recall to do a reflash, which has worked for ~ 1 year. I had contacted customer service and they denied there was a problem. Sent an email with numerous links to different forums detailing the problem. Still no satisfaction.

This will be the last Jeep I own, the local dealer knows it because the last recall I had done, which wasn't listed above, he recommended ~$2500 in "maintenance" items (which the largest item being replacing the front axle stabilizer bushing, which is a known problem with Jeeps. I told him the next thing that happens with this jeep is that it will be sold.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 07:23 AM   #23

After tossing it around in my mind, and trying to analyze everything from different directions, I have decided to leave the Cherokee model and step up to the Grand Cherokee. This will get me away from the problematic (new) 9 speed transmission and the other ills of the new model. The only downside of the change is the higher price of about 6K and a little over 500 lbs in toad weight. I just feel better about it now.
Old 12-20-2015, 07:55 AM   #24

Winnebago Owners Club
Sorry to hear about the "Lemon." But very glad to hear that Jeep is standing tall. We love our Cherokee TH and agree that it quite nicely meets our needs as a toad. We just turned 20,000 miles and (other than the front end "wobble" that I reported on up in Denver -- not a Jeep problem, tho) we have not had any mechanical problems at all... KOW!

Best of luck on your swap out!

/ken

PS. There are four MHs in the campground with us this weekend. We are each towing a Cherokee. LOL!
Bumps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 08:04 AM   #25

Newmar Owners Club
I am glad Jeep did the right thing by you..........
In the case of my 2011 JK roof leaking, after 1.5 years, 13 times left at the dealer, they could not get it to stop leaking. My Chrysler case worker offered me a 5 year extended warranty as the one that came with it was ending........good......till I received it and read that it did not cover pre-existing conditions, and water leaks! Turned it over to a Lawyer at that point...........SAD!
Old 12-20-2015, 05:04 PM   #26

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPoland View Post
After tossing it around in my mind, and trying to analyze everything from different directions, I have decided to leave the Cherokee model and step up to the Grand Cherokee. This will get me away from the problematic (new) 9 speed transmission and the other ills of the new model. The only downside of the change is the higher price of about 6K and a little over 500 lbs in toad weight. I just feel better about it now.
You will absolutely love the Grand. Its an awesome vehicle. I would suggest the 3.6L with the 8 speed. Unless you just have to have the Hemi. LOL!
jt
harleyjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 05:24 PM   #27

Tiffin Owners Club
Bill

Sounds like Jeep is treating you better than Honda is with me. I won an arbitration hearing on my CRV. It's been to the dealer 5 times and can't fix the TPMS system. 47 complaints about the same thing at NHTSA (safecar.gov). I am very disappointed with American Honda. They refuse to pay for any accessory that isn't made by Honda. Their mediation rep is officious to put it nicely.

I have been doing a lot of research for a replacement. The field is shrinking. Before I buy another car I visit the owner's forum. You can read about all the problems fellow owners are having. FYI the Cherokee Forum has a very long thread about transmission problems. Many have had their cars stop on the freeway due to the 9 speed trans failing.
We were very interested in a Cherokee, but it appears the trans issues are very widespread. Good luck with your GC purchase.

909dude is offline   Reply With Quote