Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 12-18-2015, 06:04 AM   #1

Yup, It's a Lemon !

I was notified by the Jeep resolutions case worker that they are going to replace my 2015 Cherokee Limited. I don't know any of the particulars at this point. I am wondering what they will say about the baseplate and wiring on the old one. Will they pay to swap it over, or am I going to get stuck with the bill. I have to give credit where it's due. Jeep has stood behind their product. Always supplying a supply a rental for me. Since October 1, it has spent over 45 days in the shop. I hope the rest of this process goes as smoothly.

Has anybody out there ever done a lemon replacement with jeep. what kind of grief can I expect?

I love the car. This one just fell short of the dependability mark. Hope the replacement is better.

BPoland is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-18-2015, 06:14 AM   #2

First time I ever heard of someone getting a replacement vehicle. Do you think it will be a new 2016 one or a 2015? What was wrong that they offered to replace it?

Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2015, 06:29 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigd9 View Post
First time I ever heard of someone getting a replacement vehicle. Do you think it will be a new 2016 one or a 2015? What was wrong that they offered to replace it?
Under Maryland's Lemon Law, there are certain criteria that it has to fall under. Some of those are

4 repairs for the same problem.

Certain brake and steering issues.

Over 30 days out of service within the first 18 months or 18,000 miles.

mine falls under the last category. While I have nothing in writing at this point, I got a call from the case worker saying they have decided to replace it.

As for a 2015 or 2016, I don't know. If they can find a new 15 exact match as far as options an color, I would think that would be it. I talked to a friend that's a GM at a Nissan dealership, and he said Nissan would just replace it with a current model year. It would be clear swap. Whatever you owe on the old one, is what you would owe on the replacement.

I can't say enough about Jeep and my dealership. They have treated me right.
Old 12-18-2015, 06:31 AM   #4

I would run away from that brand, what's to say the next one will be a POS? they prob. will give you a similar year & equipped model.
Old 12-18-2015, 07:06 AM   #5

They need that lemon law to apply to RV's> I read about people having their coaches at the dealer shop for months and months!
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2015, 07:09 AM   #6

In order to be towed 4 down, the Cherokee has to have the Active Drive II option. While it is standard on the Trail Hawk model it has to be optioned on the Limited. Probably 95% have the AD I (standard) transmission. That will make it more difficult to find the replacement. For that reason, I think the replacement will be a 16. I has to have they same level of options that the original has. Mine has the optional CD player, but they could substitute the upgraded stereo in it's place (less expensive option). I would also be willing accept a different color as long as I agree to it. What they can't do, is replace a top of the line Limited with a base model Latitude.

From what I understand, you have 3 options. Replacement, trade it in on another Dodge, Chrysler Jeep product, or a buy back.

Since I love how the Cherokee tows, and how easy it is to setup for towing, I have decided to stick with the Cherokee. No car will ever be perfect, but when things go wrong, as long as the dealer/company stands behind their product, I'll give it another shot.

Another Item worth mentioning is that through this whole process, there has not been any lawyers involved. Sometimes being nice and treating the person on the other end of the phone properly does pay dividends. As Patrick Swayze once said "Be nice, until it time to not be nice."
Old 12-18-2015, 07:32 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Having done 2 lemon laws on cars (no jeeps!) and 1 on a 5th wheel, you can ask for the cost of the 'upgrades' that are considered 'permanent' ...
After all, your intention was to keep it, correct ?
It wasn't YOUR doing that caused the situation.

BUT, you might take the time to just remove it, then u could reuse or at least sell to recoup some cost.

I am on my 5th or 6th jeep from 85 cj's, 89 5.9 limiteds, up thru 14 jk's and never had a problem with them, other than wearing them out

good luck and good job, you must have kept good records and been firm but nice !
Old 12-18-2015, 07:42 AM   #8

Bill, can you post what the problems you ran into were with your Jeep? Was it transmission, engine, brakes, overheating, not starting, etc? That might help others who are experiencing similar problems to better approach their problems. Plus I am just interested in what Jeep considered serious enough to just replace the vehicle! Good luck with your new baby!

Oh, by the way, I think that the dealership would be on the hook for the removal/re-installation of the base plate, wiring and other legitimate modifications you did to make it towable. Besides, by responding the way you did, you will become their LOUDEST ADVOCATE! Smart decision on their part, after all, they had a lemon, and they made LEMONADE!
Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2015, 07:52 AM   #9

The Jeep Cherokee was rated one of the 5 most unreliable cars by Consumer Reports in 2015

5 of the Least Reliable Cars From Consumer Reports' Annual Auto Survey - Consumer Reports
Old 12-18-2015, 07:57 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigd9 View Post
They need that lemon law to apply to RV's> I read about people having their coaches at the dealer shop for months and months!
Agreed. Hoping there is movement in that direction. They are getting away with way (way way) too much. The sad part is that the RV manufacturers know EXACTLY what they are doing. Profits beat quality/common sense 99.9% of the time.
Old 12-18-2015, 10:05 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hit_the_Rhod View Post
Bill, can you post what the problems you ran into were with your Jeep? Was it transmission, engine, brakes, overheating, not starting, etc? That might help others who are experiencing similar problems to better approach their problems. Plus I am just interested in what Jeep considered serious enough to just replace the vehicle! Good luck with your new baby!

Oh, by the way, I think that the dealership would be on the hook for the removal/re-installation of the base plate, wiring and other legitimate modifications you did to make it towable. Besides, by responding the way you did, you will become their LOUDEST ADVOCATE! Smart decision on their part, after all, they had a lemon, and they made LEMONADE!
She got a new TCM and transmission at 7,000 miles a few other odds and ends. The latest was a new right front strut and mounting plate. One of the issues had a tech conferring with Jeep on resistance values on the different leads on a wiring harness. In my case it isn't 1 thing they couldn't fix, it was time out of service (about 45 days since October 1).

If it weren't for the way Jeep has treated me, I would walk away, but as I have said, I like the Cherokee Limited allot. It tows well, and rides well. It fits our needs and it's my daily driver. There aren't too many automatics (Momma won't drive a stick), that I can set up for 4 down towing, that fall under the 5K weight limit for the Bay Star. The Grand Cherokee is great, although it is much more expensive and it is right at the weight limit.

From what I have heard, you will come out better if you stick within the Dodge/Chrysler/Jeep family. If you do the Buy Back, I have heard that they can charge up to a 15% usage charge.

Nothing is in stone at this point. I am still waiting to hear from the ones that actually set up the replacement. So I guess it could still go to hell in a hand basket, but I'm optimistic.

The worst that could happen is :

A. They back out of the deal - then it becomes time to not be nice.
B. The replacement has issues - I have 18 months/18,000 miles to go through this process again.
Old 12-18-2015, 10:28 AM   #12

Had my Wrangler into the dealer last week. While there I was told that there will likely be a recall coming on the Cherokee for the transmission. Will be interesting to see if that comes true.
becks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2015, 10:43 AM   #13

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
The base plate and wiring are going to be tricky. Can't hurt to ask and maybe go 50-50 on the straight labor cost. Lemon laws very by state and having never ventured down that path not sure how the law addresses consumer installed after market items.

Good luck and stay nice as long as you can.
Old 12-18-2015, 10:54 AM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
In Fla, this Info is 10 years old-but I assume it has not changed-get your bill together for the install & the removal-as well as any other installations, like tinted Glass, Hitches, etc..YES, reimbursement will be included in your check.

Let them know-have receipts ready-you will be reimbursed.