Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-15-2012, 12:56 AM   #1

110 volt tv fried

i bought a new 110 volt tv to use in my MH. It worked for a few minutes and then smoke came out of it and it worked no more. I was running off of generator at the time. would a surge protector have prevented this. I suppose it could have been just a bad tv but really feel like it was because of running from generator.
jwill41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-15-2012, 02:21 AM   #2

Without checking the output of the generator, there is no way to know what caused it.

Many other appliances aren't as voltage sensitive as some electronics using basic power supplies so it is important you at least check the output voltage with all loads switched off and then as you add loads to get some idea how stable the voltage output is.
Old 11-15-2012, 05:15 AM   #3

iRV2 No Limits Club
A surge protector is always a good idea, but as Tony said you need to find out what your generator is doing and his outline of how to go about it is right on.
You did not say what brand/model of generator you have, most are true sinewave.
Shadowcatche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 08:32 AM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Put a tester on the TV plug in, with the generator running to check the volts it is putting out.
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 10:04 AM   #5

Suggest you purchase a Kill A Watt (easy Google) - gives you readout of voltage, amps and hz. Will tell you whether your generator is producing too many volts and allow you to adjust speed/volts to appropriate level. Doesn't cost much and comes in hand for testing pedestal and monitoring ongoing voltage.
ksg5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 01:34 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
But in answer to your specific question, Yes a Progressive Ind. "surge protector" would have prevented this IF it was the hardwired version installed so that both park and generator voltage go through it. The mobile version only protects from the park however both do much more than surge protect. The device above requires YOU do the checking and will do nothing in the middle of the night when park voltage goes haywire or a near-by lightening strike occurs.......
H. Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 02:31 PM   #7

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I will take a slightly different viewpoint.. I WILL suggest you put a volt meter on the generator.. I have a Kill-a-watt set on volts hanging out all the time.. But here is what I suspect.

Most electroincs come with two and optionally 3 warranties. The first is the "Manufacturer's Expressed Warranty" which is usually 90 days or 1 to 5 years.

The second is "You may have other rights which vary from state to state" I will tell you it can pay to know those rights.

Optionally you may have purchased an "extended warranty".

There is a reason for these warranties.. That being sometimes the manufacturer fails to properly secure the magic smoke, they get a leaky smoke container, or perhaps they install one backwards, and as a result the magic smoke excapes quickly. Usually within 30 days.

Since you are withing 30 days

1: Exchange it Tell them "It's too young to smoke, but it did"

and plug in the aforementioned voltmeter Check frequency too (with the Kill-a-watt) a really weird number (Something not between 58 and 62) may indicate an issue.
Old 12-01-2012, 07:59 AM   #8

The first question that comes to my mind is "What kind of generator"? If it was a generator built for an RV compartment like Onan or Generac it should not cause a problem. If you were using a contractor generator I could see it happening. The cheapies do not all put out a PSW and will use MSW or modified sine wave that many electronics do not like. The cheapies are OK for motors and lights used inconstruction projects but not for electronics.
Old 12-10-2012, 09:14 PM   #9

I run my tv without surge protector, But I don,t plug tv into current untill after the gen set is running
john51sj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 07:57 AM   #10

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Another thought or two

One, there is a reason they have a limited warranty on the TV, it may have been defective from the word go.

Two, What kind of generator I will list 3

Good quality reduced speed engine generators such as Onan or Genrac often installed in motor homes at the factory.

Good quality INVERTER generators like the Honda EU-X000i or equivlent

3: Contractor's open frame types which often have voltage spikes over 1,000 volts and can let the magic smoke out of your delecate electronics.
Old 12-11-2012, 07:10 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
John mentioned the Magic Smoke....anyone that works with electronics can tell you they all run on smoke. You let the smoke out it it stops working.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 08:24 AM   #12

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
TXiceman.. I will give you some personal history here (Resume)

Grew up on a dairy farm so well qualified to deal with political speaches (Shoveled that stuff by the ton when I was a kid) (NOTE moderators, Not a political statement, just funny, Equal annoyance of all politicans here, Including the one I worked for (Mixing mud for brick laying).

2: Certified Electronics Techniian, also Licensed Ham Radio operator (Afte 38 years as a Technician I upgradd to Extra in 2006).

3: Assoicates in applied science, (Math, Science, Computer programming, Engineering Graphics, much more)

4: assorted other jobs (Machinest, Sales, Roofing)

5: 25 years plus telling cops where to go for a living.

6: Retired from 5.

The point about this is I've known about Magic Smoke for a whole lot of years. In fact I think I was the first in the forums here to use that phrase... Thanks for using it again.

Oh, I also cook, sew and tings like that (Which is why I did not get married till I was in my late 20's,,, Did not have to). I've worked on engines ranging from small to automotive (tune up to major overhauls, I mean, see "Farm kid") and more. And as part of the Dispatcher job I used computers to do research on thousands of folks, many who were, shall we say, not happy with the result (Go directly to jail, Do not pass Go, Do not collect $200). And I still do computer research today, only the folks I do it for (not on) are usually much happier (I research problems with people's RV's don't you know)
Old 12-12-2012, 07:34 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
John, we need to cross paths some where and bend the elbow a few times and see who can come up with the biggest story.

ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote