Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-27-2012, 01:21 PM   #1

12 Volt supply

We have a 235 Lexington B+ m/h on a Ford E450 frame, while plugged into shore power everything operates inside the m/h. unplug the shore power and lights fridge water pump etc. do not work. I have checked breakers and fuses and all appear O.K. it's like the stow switch is turned off but it's on. Any suggests thanks John

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-27-2012, 04:52 PM   #2

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Just the normal.. You need a test light, if you can't find one get a common lamp socket like a license plate socket, some wire, tape or heat shrink tubing, a pair of clips for the end and the proper lamp. Extend ONE lead out about 3 feet and put a clip on it (Tape or heat shrink the joint) put the other clip on the other lead.

Now, starting at the battery, one clip to the chassis, one to the positive, if light, good, if no light move chassis clip to battery negative, if no light replace batteries, if dim light charge batteries, if bright light check negative lead, both ends clean and re-attach.

Now move out along the positive, look for any fuse or breaker, the disconnect solenoid and so on, every time you encounter a device one clip to chassis, the other clip to one lead, if light, touch the other, if still light, move on, if dark you found the problem.

Old 08-27-2012, 04:58 PM   #3

Gulf Streamers Club

Check and clean the terminals on the battery. Remove, clean, refasten ground wire. Check that the battery is charged. It sounds like you have no battery power, just power from the Inverter/Charger when shore power is connected. A test light as recommended by wa8yxm or a multitester (under $10 at Harbor Freight) is an indispensable part of my toolkit. If battery and cable connections check out, then you'll have to look for a fuse, fusible link, or circuit breaker.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 05:21 PM   #4

Ford Super Duty Owner
It sounds like the battery disconnect switch is not working. Check the output side of the solonoid for 12 volts.
Old 08-28-2012, 12:03 PM   #5

thanks for all the info. I will attempt to follow your suggestions
Old 08-28-2012, 12:05 PM   #6

thanks I will purchase a multitester and keep it in my tool box
Old 08-29-2012, 11:46 AM   #7

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
A multimeter is a necessity, but for this job a test light works better, (Way easier to read, Light good, Dark bad, that simple).

True story: Sunday I went to a picnic no trouble leaving but then we went shopping, when I left the store, NO START. (rozzin, frozzing, friggin) hit the Emergency start switch (BOOST switch) and she fired right up.

2nd and 3rd stores, same result.

NOTE: Not the first time this has happened so .. Yesterday I crawled under with the needed tools, disconnected battery, Load tested (Flying color.. GREEN = GOOD) cleaned everything and re-connected.. All good now.
Old 08-29-2012, 07:55 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillpeople View Post
We have a 235 Lexington B+ m/h on a Ford E450 frame, while plugged into shore power everything operates inside the m/h. unplug the shore power and lights fridge water pump etc. do not work. I have checked breakers and fuses and all appear O.K. it's like the stow switch is turned off but it's on. Any suggests thanks John
Thanks for all the helpful suggestions did as suggested and located a blown circuit breaker all works well now.