Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-30-2012, 03:30 PM   #1

12 volt to (2) 6 volt conversions

Is it really that easy to pull my 12 volt battery out of my 2006 23' Coachman Concord and fit in (2) 6 volt batterys? Space, or wiring, is not an issue. Just finished off a weekend with battery going dead while boondocking and neighboring campers all suggested converting to 6 volt battery.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-30-2012, 04:44 PM   #2

They are a standard dimension, 10.25 long x 7.12 width x 10.75 high. Some may be a little taller than this.

garym114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 06:30 PM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Best thing you can do. Be sure to wire correctly to get the 12 volts. You will have at least double or more amp hours. Wire pos. of # 1 bat. to neg of #2 bat, then neg of # 1 to pos of #2. Use neg post of # 2 for chassis ground and pos. of #1 for hot lead. Trojan makes a very good 6 volt deep cycle. Good luck
Old 05-30-2012, 06:55 PM   #4

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alleyman View Post
Best thing you can do. Be sure to wire correctly to get the 12 volts. You will have at least double or more amp hours. Wire pos. of # 1 bat. to neg of #2 bat, then neg of # 1 to pos of #2. Use neg post of # 2 for chassis ground and pos. of #1 for hot lead. Trojan makes a very good 6 volt deep cycle. Good luck
If I read this right all hell is about to take place.

It should read positive of #1 battery to vehicle positive, negative of #1
battery to the positive of #2, negative of #2 to vehicle ground.
wb7auk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 06:58 PM   #5

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wb7auk View Post
If I read this right all hell is about to take place.

It should read positive of #1 battery to vehicle positive, negative of #1
battery to the positive of #2, negative of #2 to vehicle ground.
There ya go Art, that should avoid sparks. You even got the order correct, chassis ground always last to hook up and first to disconnect.

Dick
Old 06-07-2012, 05:32 PM   #6

I too would favour 2 6v over 1 12V. There is one downside though. What if one 6V fails. Then you are SOL since you can't run on one 6V. I have 2 x 12V in my current MH and if one fails I can just disconnect it and use the good one.

When I had 3 x 12V in a Journey one failed and we just removed it from the chain. Our next unit was a Ambassador and it had 4 x 6V and no question in my mind that was a much better config. If one of them failed you just cut out the pair and thus leave 12V from the 2 x 6V.

Don
Old 06-08-2012, 05:40 PM   #7

If two batteries are slightly different, they will work against each other and go out much sooner. Say 13 and 13.25. Costco red golf cart batteries work great and last years longer. One of the first 6 volt batteries only worked part of the time and that was a real hastle finding the problem. When that happens, nothing works. It was only one weekend trip and years ago.
Old 06-09-2012, 07:25 AM   #8

Ford Super Duty Owner
We had a 1996 Vectra and I converted from two 12V batteries to a pair of Interstate 6V batteries and was very happy with the results because we boondock most of the time. I understand the possibility of one battery going bad but I'm one of those guys that if my RV is going to go unused for more than two weeks I pull the the batteries out and put them on my BatteryMinder until I have plans for a trip. Our recent purchased of a used 2008 Tiffin 34TGa I found out that Tiffin installs 6V batteries which made me happy but the previous owner murdered the batteries (batteries were totally dry) so I replaced them with Costco Golf Cart batteries which I will monitor closely, hopefully they will be as good as previous iRV2 posters have stated.

Ron
Old 06-11-2012, 12:13 AM   #9

I own a motorhome rental company and go through a lot of batteries. Most Class Cs have rooom for one or two batteries. Sometimes only the deep cycle marine will fit and other times the slightly larger RV batteries. I think Ron will be happy with the golf cart batteries. They can stand a lot of abuse and neglect, don't fight each other and last years longer. My Interstate wholesale prices are about the same as Costo. Interstate has a double, or twin type 12 volt battery that I have never tried. Be sure they give you the monster cable nuts that go on top. Might have to drill out your connections. Tired of this rain and wish I could leave right now.
Old 06-28-2012, 12:19 AM   #10

Send a message via Yahoo to Pianotuna
Hi,

The whole battery discussion swings on what the goals are.

If you want the minimum number of cells then six individual two volt cells is the best of all worlds (600 amp-hours per cell, and up).

If there is room for an odd number of batteries and the choice is between six volt and twelve volt jars, twelve volt wins on capacity.

If there is room for only two batteries twelve volt wins on redundancy and six volt wins on the number of cells.

If a large inverter (1500 watts and up) is to be run at "full bore" then twelve volt wins even against six six volt (assuming equal amp-hours of capacity), due to the larger voltage drop exhibited by the thicker plates.

Flooded cells remain, for the time being, the "best bang for the buck", but the trade off is regular maintenance and a pair of wool pants.

If one does go to agm chemistry, it would be wise to heed the advice of the particular maker on charging parameters, given that the cost of such batteries may far exceed the cost of a good converter.

Most RV's are woefully low on amp-hours of capacity, and many folks abuse their battery bank by going to far lower states of charge than is good for longevity. To me, it is a no brainer to maximize the capacity.

Balanced wiring for battery banks is often hit and miss (mostly miss, I fear). It should be addressed.

No matter what voltage or chemistry is used, good charging practice need to be followed. If that is done, 2 volt, 12 volt, and 6 volt battery banks may last many years.

So, find out the goals, use what ever works for a battery bank, and go camping.

For my further thoughts on battery banks surf here:

Battery Selection