Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-14-2012, 08:19 PM   #1

1977 Geogieboy

Hello all .Looking for our first rv. Just looking at a classic 1977 Dodge Georgieboy. From what we saw,looks in good shape.Some surface rust on cab.But interior was well cared for.46000km on engine. Where to start.Just getting into rving we have much to learn.Terms like house battery, grey water tank ,winterizing procedures etc. So is starting with a 23ft classic c the way to go? Where does one get info on this site to educate ourselves in this 'new" adventure? thanks

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-14-2012, 08:38 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvtodd
Hello all .Looking for our first rv. Just looking at a classic 1977 Dodge Georgieboy. From what we saw,looks in good shape.Some surface rust on cab.But interior was well cared for.46000km on engine. Where to start.Just getting into rving we have much to learn.Terms like house battery, grey water tank ,winterizing procedures etc. So is starting with a 23ft classic c the way to go? Where does one get info on this site to educate ourselves in this 'new" adventure? thanks

You'll probably find a 23' motorhome is very manageable. But I wouldn't select a coach on size alone. I'd think the more immediate questions are:
1) will all of "you" be comfortable using the coach at the same time (think capacities, physical space, and who/what goes where), and
2) what are your intended uses for the coach? Full-timing? Every month? Once a year for only a weekend?

Consider your intended uses and expectations before finalizing the deal on any coach.

And you might also consider having the coach inspected by a qualified person, especially if you're not familiar with the workings and warnings that compose a motorhome. There are already many postings here regarding pre-purchase checklists and the like. :-)

Whatever you end up buying, you'll find RVing to be a unique adventure! :-)

Old 04-14-2012, 09:18 PM   #3

Thanks for the reply BichonLover.Yes we already have considered interior room.for our needs.Placement within the coach is good for us (3) . We would start by taking 2 or 3 day trips. Camping is one reason for this rv.The other is ,to visit my daughter at the other end of my province of Ontario,near Detroit. It may save on some motel costs,even if gas prices are a factor. But the pure enjoyment of on the road at our own pace. Stopping where we want to make something to eat in our own rv ,instead of McDonalds is another plus. Thanks again.
Old 04-14-2012, 09:41 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
rvtodd, PM me your phone number (I do LD for free) and we'll talk. I have a 77 unit and may be able to help you through your decision process. I have played at repairing the major and minor things in ours and feel confident enough in its abilities to plan to travel coast to coast starting the 26th of this month.
Old 04-14-2012, 09:45 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
WARNING!!!!

We (the wife, the dog and I) originally purchased a 26' Class A coach with only a slide in the bedroom. We soon found out that it wasn't big enough for the 3 of us so now we have a 35'6" Class A coach with 3 slides that is great for the 4 of us. (We added a rescue dog).

So my advice is to buy the largest coach you can afford the first time even if you are only planning to use it 2 or 3 days at a time.

Good luck,
Jon
2013 Chevy Spark Dinghy
jfran304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 10:30 PM   #6
RVM 18

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Welcome to irv2! *You have found the right place to learn about everything RV related and much more

I live and travel full-time in a 25' Class C with two 8 pound furkids. The size is perfect for us. *Size is relative to your comfort level. I spend the summer parked at my daughter's house in Seattle and the winter at Mom's near Houston. *Spring and Fall are when I travel the western US, letting the weather decide when and where.

If your group includes someone who is handy with tools and can work on cars, this vintage RV will probably work well for you. If not, you might want to consider a bumper pull travel trailer as your first RV. Less to go wrong.

Having a skilled RV person check out the RV systems could save you from making an expensive mistake. Also, if the tires are over 6 years old they can be dangerous, regardless of the tread on them. *There are lots of really great vintage RVs, and lots of old money pits. *I hope you found a great one. There is a vintage RV forum here Vintage RV's - iRV2 Forums They will be lots of help and reading the older posts will give you a taste of what vintage means.

Most of all -- Have fun!!

okmunky is offline   Reply With Quote