Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-23-2012, 09:08 AM   #1

Vintage RV Owners Club
Cool 1978 Dodge

Hi

So i have a 1978 Dodge with 5.9 360. Recently the motor sounds little differently. It sounds like it is stumbling and if i just hit the gas really hard it chokes and stalls. If i gradually do it to same level its fine. During this ive notice the alternator took a for the worst so that was replaced.

Im putting a new air filter today as the one in there is little oil or fuel drenched.

I was wondering if anyone else had any ideas before i got spend on a new part.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-23-2012, 10:23 AM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I would suspect the floats in the carb are gas soaked. Which is a rebuild. You could go the poor man first and use gummout on and in the carb to clean it up a bit. Also check the linkage for binding and the butterflies open easy.

Conquest102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 08:27 AM   #3

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Conquest102 View Post
I would suspect the floats in the carb are gas soaked. Which is a rebuild. You could go the poor man first and use gummout on and in the carb to clean it up a bit. Also check the linkage for binding and the butterflies open easy.
Huh? you lost me a little. I'm not that much of a auto wrench person. My next steps was to put some good fuel stuff in but if I can clean the carb (no idea where they are on the engine) I will then, and I'm little lost on the butterflies.
Old 08-24-2012, 10:41 AM   #4

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
When you remove air filter the part under it is the carb. The butterflies would be the metal peices you see that control the air mixture into the engine. They should be bright and shiny if not start there with the carb cleaner. You can spray a bunch down inside but let it sit for awhile before starting or it may backfire thru the carb, its also possible to do this while its running if you can find the linkage for the throttle you will have to move the throttle as you put the stuff in to keep from stalling.You will have to remove the whole airfilter assembly to get good acces to the carb. Watch the bottom of it for hoses connected for vacum controls.
Old 08-27-2012, 12:16 PM   #5

Vintage RV Owners Club
1978 Dodge B300 Motorhome cleaned Carbs

Hi, so I've cleaned what I could, and picked up some SeaFoam ?? and popped it all in through the carb and also added to the gas tank. Now it starts right up much better but it still chokes on a hit of the gas pedal, sometimes still dies on doing that. It still runs pretty rough....

Any other ideas what I can do?

this thing ran just 2 months ago, strong and bold until I've parked it for those 2 months and changed the alternator.
Old 08-27-2012, 04:57 PM   #6

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
You might have to burn a couple of tanks of fresh fuel through the system. Also could pull the spark plugs and clean them to.
Old 08-29-2012, 04:36 PM   #7

OK, so you've "cleaned the carb" with Seafoam carb cleaner, now
pull the sparkplugs (one at a time would be good) and you will
probably find them wet with fuel or dirty with oil. You can clean
them with a spray can of carb cleaner and a small brush, then
blow them dry with compressed air before reinstalling or install
new spark plugs.

Also inspect the condition of the spark plug wires and if broken
etc replace them too.

In the future if you are going to park the MH for awhile it helps
to add a can of fuel stabilizer to the gas tank and run the motor
for a while before storing the rig.
Philip.Saran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 12:34 AM   #8

There are three things I can think of that might be causing your sudden issue:

1. Air may be creaping into your engine somewhere other than through the carburetor, causing your rough running engine and a stumble on accelerator input. Make sure the carburetor is firmly attached to the engine (it should not wiggle - if it does, tighten the 4 bolts around it's base). Sometimes the intake gasket can develop a leak and pull air - although rare, it can be id'd by spraying small bursts of starting fluid (engine running) at the edges of the intake manifold where it attaches to each head, right below the valve cover at each intake runner {these are the tunnels that take the air/fuel mixture from below the carb out to each cylinder}.

2. Check to make sure all vacuum hoses are in good shape and are connected (on your 360 most will be about the diameter of a pencil or a little larger - but not as large as a heater hose or a radiator hose). They will come out/into the base of your carburetor or the intake manifold (the 'top' of your engine). Make sure they are plugged into something on both ends and aren't cracked from age and they done't have a hole rubbed in them... e.g., there should be one going from your carburetor to the distributor's vacuum advance; if this is not connected or has a leak, it would certainly cause your issue.

3. The accelerator pump on the carb could be bad. Look into the top of your carb (engine off), use your finger to open the choke flap so you can see down in there (use a light source other than a match or cig lighter!) , and have someone press the gas pedal down. You should see a little stream of gas shooting into each venturi/hole down inside in the carb. If not, it's time for someone else to have a look at your carburetor.

One more thing - if your air cleaner was oil-soaked, that's not normal.
You might have a plugged PCV Valve or stuck piston rings. The plugged PCV Valve is easy to ID - pull the PCV and hose from the valve cover and shake it - it should rattle. Stuck rings might be fixed by the Seafoam (good stuff).

Hopefully one of the above fixes your issue. The 360 is a good, solid engine - I've been using them for years.
Old 09-21-2012, 03:30 AM   #9

National RV Owners Club
Post your question here.
Dodge B-Series Vans 1971 - 2003 - DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
Old 09-21-2012, 05:29 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
This post brings back memories. We had a 76 with the 360 and ares needed a carb rebuild. Since you have cleaned it and as mentioned clean the plugs as well and run a couple of tanks of fresh fuel thru it and it "might" just clear it up but I would plan on a carb rebuild in the near future.
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 09:09 AM   #11

You didn't mention replacing the fuel filter(s). There should be one at the carburator, and there may be one between the gas tank and engine (like some Chevrolet class a chassis). From your other posts, it sounds like you are not mechanically inclined so you may want to pay someone to change the fuel filters.

Also, it may be the accelerator pump in the carburator needs replacing. Again, you may need to have someone do this for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catbones View Post
Hi

So i have a 1978 Dodge with 5.9 360. Recently the motor sounds little differently. It sounds like it is stumbling and if i just hit the gas really hard it chokes and stalls. If i gradually do it to same level its fine. During this ive notice the alternator took a for the worst so that was replaced.

Im putting a new air filter today as the one in there is little oil or fuel drenched.

I was wondering if anyone else had any ideas before i got spend on a new part.
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 08:28 AM   #12

The Chrysler 360 "LA" engine was built at only 3 places; (1) Mound Road, Detroit, MI, (2) Saltillo plant, Ramos Arizpe, Mexico or (3) Pillette Road, Windsor, Ontario Canada.
Engines produced in Mexico had fairly widespread valve lifter problems (usually occurring early) and the Canadian engine was reputedly the best of the 3. However, engines made at all 3 locations had a single common, potentially dangerous, issue, regardless of whether 2 or 4 barrel carburetor.

Rather than kite a thought, I'll ask just a couple questions:
1. Does your rig have 65,000 miles or more on it?
2. Did these problems start suddenly?
rmmpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 07:26 PM   #13

Good info...I would add, when adding fuel stabilizer, don't forget to run your generator as well to ensure stabilizer is in all lines. Especially important with the hybrid gas......
:-)
Old 09-24-2012, 12:08 AM   #14

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmmpe View Post
The Chrysler 360 "LA" engine was built at only 3 places; (1) Mound Road, Detroit, MI, (2) Saltillo plant, Ramos Arizpe, Mexico or (3) Pillette Road, Windsor, Ontario Canada.
Engines produced in Mexico had fairly widespread valve lifter problems (usually occurring early) and the Canadian engine was reputedly the best of the 3. However, engines made at all 3 locations had a single common, potentially dangerous, issue, regardless of whether 2 or 4 barrel carburetor.

Rather than kite a thought, I'll ask just a couple questions:
1. Does your rig have 65,000 miles or more on it?
2. Did these problems start suddenly?
Whats the "issue"