Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-12-2012, 12:51 AM   #15

Florida Cooters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
My first guess is the ballast resistor, 2nd one would be the points need adjusting or replaced.

windydaboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-12-2012, 01:45 AM   #16

National RV Owners Club
try here... Dodge B-Series Vans 1971 - 2003 - DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums

Old 09-12-2012, 03:23 AM   #17

No pionts just an early electronic ignition. There is a module mounted on the firewall, it will have four wires to it and is about the size of a deck of cards. In the distributor there is a magnetic pickup that might be rusted, just take a nail file and sand. Check the gap on the pickup. The module is available at most auto parts stores and they are all the same so just get one for a dodge of any model. Make sure the module is grounded very well.
stink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 11:31 AM   #18

Thanks for all the advice. I have a few places to look now.
Old 09-12-2012, 12:02 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanDiemen23
does this vehicle have a condenser? if it does, that's the next possible place for a problem. just hang a test light off the coil to ground. You should see it flash while cranking.
I don't believe it has a condenser. When it's cranked I've tested for voltage through the ground with a multi meter. 12v+ are present.
Old 09-12-2012, 12:07 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by windydaboo
My first guess is the ballast resistor, 2nd one would be the points need adjusting or replaced.
I'll be taking a look at the ballast resistor. Might be the source of the issue. I haven't even got to the points yet. I've been checking for spark with the wire off the distributor.
Thanks.
Old 09-12-2012, 12:15 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by stink
No pionts just an early electronic ignition. There is a module mounted on the firewall, it will have four wires to it and is about the size of a deck of cards. In the distributor there is a magnetic pickup that might be rusted, just take a nail file and sand. Check the gap on the pickup. The module is available at most auto parts stores and they are all the same so just get one for a dodge of any model. Make sure the module is grounded very well.
I would believe it is an early electronic ignition. Looks Like points when you pop the cap off but there are a few more wires hanging about it than I would think for just points.

I need to get the manual today. Educate myself a little more. The Winnie's either newer or older than anything I have worked on in the past.
Thanks
Old 09-12-2012, 04:11 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by stink
The module you refer to, is that the ballast resistor? Or something else?
Old 09-13-2012, 02:19 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Falcon View Post
The module you refer to, is that the ballast resistor? Or something else?
There is a ballast resistor on the firewall also and a module for the ignition. There is also a votage regulator for the alternator. The module will have four or five wires with a round shaped plug and you can see the top of a power transistor on a heat sink. The balast resistor will be ceramic in construction with four wires, two at each end. the voltage regulator will have three wires and a plug shaped like a triangle. You can bypass the ballast resistor only for testing to see if you have spark. In my days past I always kept a module and resistor in my tool box for testing chrysler no starts.
stink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 12:41 PM   #24

I replaced the ballast resistor yesterday. Not the problem. Today I'm planning to pull the distributor and take a closer look at the pick up and plate assembly. Still looking for the module. I found a Haynes for old Dodge vans. That will help until I get the Winnie manual.

I assume I have a 360, but after looking in the manual I have noticed the illustrations for a 360 and smaller show the distributor toward the back of the motor when mine is toward the front of the motor. And, the plug wires I bought for a 360 were too short. I suspect it's a 400 or bigger now. Any quick way the tell other than the vin? The vin indicated it was a 360 EFI from 94. At least that's what I get using the Haynes manual.
Thanks
Old 09-13-2012, 12:56 PM   #25

$12.95 for members at http://www.classicwinnebagos.com/for...12_6_35_45.jpg
DonDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 01:56 PM   #26

Turns out the ignition module is missing completely. I found the wires tucked up and hidden from view. No wonder I couldn't find the thing.
Old 09-13-2012, 03:10 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Falcon View Post
Turns out the ignition module is missing completely. I found the wires tucked up and hidden from view. No wonder I couldn't find the thing.
Ah ha!
DonDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 06:07 PM   #28

It's been an educational day. Seems the motor is a 440 based on the casting number found on the bottom of the motor and lack of an engine ID where there should be one on a 360. I can't see around the distributor to find the engine ID#. But, I bought plug wires for a 440, and wouldn't you know, they fit.

The voltage regulator was also missing. What I thought was it I haven't yet identified. Looks similar with three wires and a long plug.

No wonder no spark.

The pick ups look good and I got the missing parts to put in tonight.

Anyone know if a coil on a 360 and a 440 are the same? For now Putting the old one back on.

Thanks all for the input.