Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-10-2015, 01:21 AM   #1

1984 Fleetwood Ralley Starting issues...

Hello all, a bit of back history. While coming home from a weekend trip over memorial weekend our 1984 ford e-350 Ralley withe the 460 engine decided to stop running. It seemed like a fuel issue, after a few different things were tried I finally found a wire harness in the engine compartment that seemed fried. I stripped the wires and connected them together without the harness and presto, it started right up and go us home.Then it sat until this weekend that I began to clean up the wiring and getting it ready for an upcoming trip.

She has always had trouble starting, we got her about 1 year ago and always struggled to start. It would crank and finally catch once the key was released from the starting position. We found out this weekend that it is not normal and when we checked spark we realized that it wasn't sparking while cranking, only when we let the key go from starting to running did it throw a quick spark that is why it was giving us a hard time starting. We replaced the iginition module and now she sparks the entire time you are cranking. She also has a new ignition relay, coil, cap, rotor and wires.

Previous owner decided to change the fuel pump to a holley electric fuel pump. Instead of using the existing fuel pump wires, they ran a wire straight to an accesory point somewhere under the dash. That wire gets power while the key is in the on position and the fuel pump runs but as soon as you crank for start the power cuts off.

So yesterday when I began to clean up the wires that were simply spliced together from out last repair on the side of the road, I noticed other connecters that were burnt up a little or damaged, specifically the one for the ignition model. I cut off the connecters and joined the wires using butt connectors and waterproof tape. All the connections are secure and not loose.

The problem we are having is that she wont start. She has spark, there is fuel coming into the carb that we can smell and a little bit in the main part of the carb underneath the large butterfly when depressing the gas pedal with the keys off but not a large spray. It feels like as long as we are cranking it she is staying on, as soon as we let go of the key she dies down. We tried to spray carb cleaner down the carb and didnt really notice anything different.

Almost feels like once we turn the key away from the start position, there is nothing telling the distributor to continue firing? I have checked the inertia switch and it seems fine. I have in posesion now a new holley fuel pump and plan on switching this tomorrow but thought I would check here first to see if anyone has any ideas?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-13-2015, 12:40 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by cessna1466u View Post
Hello all, a bit of back history. While coming home from a weekend trip over memorial weekend our 1984 ford e-350 Ralley withe the 460 engine decided to stop running. It seemed like a fuel issue, after a few different things were tried I finally found a wire harness in the engine compartment that seemed fried. I stripped the wires and connected them together without the harness and presto, it started right up and go us home.Then it sat until this weekend that I began to clean up the wiring and getting it ready for an upcoming trip.

She has always had trouble starting, we got her about 1 year ago and always struggled to start. It would crank and finally catch once the key was released from the starting position. We found out this weekend that it is not normal and when we checked spark we realized that it wasn't sparking while cranking, only when we let the key go from starting to running did it throw a quick spark that is why it was giving us a hard time starting. We replaced the iginition module and now she sparks the entire time you are cranking. She also has a new ignition relay, coil, cap, rotor and wires.

Previous owner decided to change the fuel pump to a holley electric fuel pump. Instead of using the existing fuel pump wires, they ran a wire straight to an accesory point somewhere under the dash. That wire gets power while the key is in the on position and the fuel pump runs but as soon as you crank for start the power cuts off.

So yesterday when I began to clean up the wires that were simply spliced together from out last repair on the side of the road, I noticed other connecters that were burnt up a little or damaged, specifically the one for the ignition model. I cut off the connecters and joined the wires using butt connectors and waterproof tape. All the connections are secure and not loose.

The problem we are having is that she wont start. She has spark, there is fuel coming into the carb that we can smell and a little bit in the main part of the carb underneath the large butterfly when depressing the gas pedal with the keys off but not a large spray. It feels like as long as we are cranking it she is staying on, as soon as we let go of the key she dies down. We tried to spray carb cleaner down the carb and didnt really notice anything different.

Almost feels like once we turn the key away from the start position, there is nothing telling the distributor to continue firing? I have checked the inertia switch and it seems fine. I have in posesion now a new holley fuel pump and plan on switching this tomorrow but thought I would check here first to see if anyone has any ideas?
I am a mech for the last thirty years,some of your descriptions are a little confusing contact me here with your phone number and i will walk you through diagnosis,im retired so i dont mind,im sure we could figure this out.

WRENCH18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 06:39 PM   #3

Message sent, thank you!!!!!

Tags
fleetwood