Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-07-2011, 11:14 AM   #1

1988 Chevy C30 based RV w/5.7 & EFI that will not turnover and start

My RV will not turnover and start. When I turn key, it clicks once and
acts like it wants to turnover but can't. There is no repeat clicking.
Battery is only 3 yrs old, didn't any lights on and I have found no
evidence of other electric system drain. Headlights appear strong when
turned on. It had done this to me a couple time in the past. Where it would hesitate to start, but then start, after a few mins of waiting,
to turn key again and try and start.

With intermittent nature of problem, I suspected a flat spot in the
starter. Despite the fact, the starter was replaced 5 years ago, by
new AC Delco starter(supossedly, I paid the cost of new), along with
the ignition switch. I have heard GM starters go bad due to, being near the heat of the exhaust pipe.

I also noticed a lose battery cable thick wire, with blue insolution at each end, attached to the firewall and hanging lose. This obviously
does not seem right. Any ideas of what this wire does, or how or why it would be lose like that? I will attach a few photos, for members to see.
Any suggestions on how to get to turnover, so I can drive to repair shop.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Wire attached to firewall full view.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	87.9 KB
ID:	11896   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lose wire another view.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	79.9 KB
ID:	11897  

Click image for larger version

Name:	connestion at firewall.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	85.7 KB
ID:	11898  
DougCP is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-07-2011, 11:35 AM   #2

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Do you have a generator? The generator needs a battery to start; it may have been connected to the chassis battery.

Have you carefully checked the ground connection?

Senior Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 11:43 AM   #3

#1. Blue wire attached to firewall should be a ground.
#2. Gmc starter solonoids go bad easy. Last resort, pull starter. Only two bolts on GM
#3 Other blue wire may be house batt. conn for boost. Dont know if that coach has one.
If headlights go dim when you hit the starter, clean and reattch grounds and Pos leads. After it clicks and doesn't do it again, crawl under and jump across the big leads on sol. If it starts, its sol. Probably a chevvy pro will jump in. Luck to ya
fletch460 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 11:56 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senior Chief View Post
Do you have a generator? The generator needs a battery to start; it may have been connected to the chassis battery.

Have you carefully checked the ground connection?
Yes I have a generator. I have not used it in a long time. Sounds like that
wire was not reconnected, when the battery was replaced 3 yrs ago. I would not have noticed, because I have not used generator. But that does not sound like, that is my RV starting problem....oh well.
DougCP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 12:33 PM   #5

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
If you just need to get it started to drive it to a repair facility you could try hitting the starter with a hammer to get it started. If this works, do not shut the engine off before you get it to where it needs to be.

Wanabee FTer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 01:29 PM   #6

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
take ends off battery and clean-may be just corrison
Old 07-07-2011, 05:22 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Start by cleaning battery terminals and ground connections. Put charger on the battery and make sure it is fully charged. If you still have a problem after this, start checking the starter and even the ignition switch.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 08:16 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanabee FTer View Post
If you just need to get it started to drive it to a repair facility you could try hitting the starter with a hammer to get it started. If this works, do not shut the engine off before you get it to where it needs to be.
Exactly what I have done numerous times when owning a chevy small block. Also in the end of the solinoid you can take it off and turn the round contact 180 degrees to get contact as good as new. These tend to flat spot. Most people replace when this is all that is needed to fix.

Have someone turning the ignition while you hit the starter several times with a hammer.

Mark
Big Bear Local is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 08:20 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Good old "percussive maintenance". If whacking it does not work, you need a bigger hammer.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote