Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 06-19-2013, 11:02 AM   #1
1990 Ford 460 engine issues

We have a 1990 Coachman Leprechaun with about 55,000 miles on it. It seems to run fine for a bit and then it loses power and will completely shut down, like in vapor lock. Anybody else have this problem? we've replaced the plugs, condenser, fuel pump, oil change, but the problem still continues.

Have already had to cancel one camping trip, don't want to cancel the others!!

sallymaggie5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-19-2013, 11:14 AM   #2
Several things could be in the mix.
Do you use fuel with ethanol? Could be part of the problem.
There could be trash in the tank and due to different fuel levels the settlement may be causing what seems to be vapor lock.
You mentioned changing the fuel pump. You may have to install an aftermarket high volume pump in the line. to get equal pressure.
If the engine cranks after a cooling down period and stops at a later interval any of the above could be causing the problem.
Your fuel injected engine is not prone to vapor lock. Hope this helps

trackman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 04:40 PM   #3
I also have a 1990 460 that had the same issue.20,000 miles. I replaced the fuel pump on the frame, fuel fillter, ignition module (twice), ignition coil, map sensor on the road in ky . I made it home after it cooled down. (400 miles) Have since replaced the fuel pump in the tank and the rubber line connecting it to the sending unit (badly cracked), insulated the fuel lines to the fuel rail, replaced cap rotor plugs and wires all original. But I read on another forum and wish I could give credit to the author of the post but I believe its the pickup in the distributor which I plan to replace before my next trip
grizzlyalf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 04:46 PM   #4
ive seen on several occasions that debris in the tank will clog the fuel pump sock. Replacing the pump is only temporary because the tank needs to be cleaned. You may be able to find a fuel pressure gauge to check the fuel pressure. If it drops when you loose power, this is your suspect.

If not, you are looking at other issues like a sensor, coil, ignition break down, etc.
jamesrxx951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 04:58 PM   #5
Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Common problem

We had a 1992 and drove it for 10 years. In those years it killed a bunch of catalytic converters. When a cat dies it will clog up when hot and do exactly what you describe. As far as I know Ford never came up with a permanent fix.
Muddypaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 05:01 PM   #6
Originally Posted by Muddypaws View Post
We had a 1992 and drove it for 10 years. In those years it killed a bunch of catalytic converters. When a cat dies it will clog up when hot and do exactly what you describe. As far as I know Ford never came up with a permanent fix.
Good point, forgot about the converter.
jamesrxx951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 05:05 PM   #7
Always Always start with the simple things first ,use Berryman choke cleaner and spray into the carb or throttle body and see if it will try to start ,if it does it is a fuel problem if it does not try to start it is an ignition problem.If had to guess as to what the problem is I would put my money on the fuel filter and that's the first thing I would replace.
swampdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 06:43 PM   #8
I had a Ford that had a diffuser plate between the carb and intake and it pretty much corroded into dust. replaced it and saved 4 mpg
mikell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 08:45 PM   #9
As a retired Ford Service Manager you folks that replied about carbs. The 460 went to fuel injection in 88.
yooper9954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 06:51 AM   #10
Sallymaggie5, You say that you have replaced the fuel pump and I am guessing the one in the fuel tank? Yooper9954 is correct in that in 1988 Ford went to Fuel Injected in the 460. I own a 1990 Rockwood on a 1989, 1990 model year E350 chassis with a 460 7.5 ltr fuel injected engine.
In my opinion Ford had trouble with the fuel delivery system on the first 460 fuel injected motors especially the engines located a long ways from the fuel tank like in Motor Homes and stretched chassis applications.
I had to replace the “In Tank fuel pump” and remove one of the two fuel filters and replace the last one.
On my Motor Home on the driver’s side mounted to the inside frame rail is what Ford calls a “Fuel Delivery System” (nothing more than a small reservoir with a removable filter) inside of a twist open canister. Some speculate that this is actually a supplementary fuel reservoir so you do not run out of gas under a heavy load.
Based upon trusted advice I purchased a new fuel filter (make sure the proper “O” ring gasket is in the box). Take the filter home open the box, throw the filter away and install the new “O” ring gasket and screw the empty cartridge back on hand tight just like an oil filter. Replace the standard fuel filter just ahead of ford’s “Fuel Delivery System” mounted to the inside of the rail.
This cured the sluggish and dying engine once warmed up and going up a hill the more throttle you gave it the slower it went until it dyed. No more, it now has more than enough power. The 460’s are a strong engine when it has enough Fuel, Air and Spark.
A wonderful Wife
Two children and 7 grand kids 1997 Four Winds Class C M-31QSB V-10
ReelTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 12:39 PM   #11
My 460 was much earlier (an 85), but it had a second fuel pump, mounted external to the tank on the inside of the driver's side chassis rail. It was a couple of feet forward of the back wheels. This was a 26' Class C. Of course, with a carburator-equipped engine you''re working with much lower fuel pressure than a fuel injected one.

Frank Damp -Anacortes, WA,(DW- Eileen)
ex-pat Brits (1968) and now ex-RVers, as of 08 Dec 14.
frankdamp is offline   Reply With Quote