Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-27-2013, 10:01 PM   #1

1990s Class Cs least likely to have leak issues.

Trying to buy a Class C with budget of 20000 dollars. Want bunk over cab, dinette across from sofa, rear walk around queen. 29 feet or less, prefer ford.

Want to minimize leak situation. Born Free would work except budget precludes walk around rear bed. Can't find any Coach House within the budget. These are fiberglass I believe.

Now there are all the rest. Need them rated in order of best constructed to minimize leak problems. Help me narrow search list.

Coachman
Dutchman
Fleetwood
Forest River
Four Winds
Gulf Stream
Jayco
Shasta
Thor
Winnebago

I think fiberglass roof better. Fiberglass caps would be nice, but don't know how important they are.

On the basis of construction, with best chance of avoiding leaks, give me a priority list for my search. I know nothing about the construction differences of the 1990s mh, but have read that some are wood frame, some are aluminum frame and some are steel. Some have fiberglass roofs and others have alum, and rubber. It would help me if you could identify those in the list that have whatever.

I would think a fiberglass roof would be a good choice with aluminum next and the rubber roof last.

I know there are exceptions to all cases but I would put a rubber roof, wood frame Class C at the bottom of the list, but from the list I don't know which ones are which.

This forum should have the knowledge to give me guidance in my search for a "least likely to have leak problems as a result of construction techniques and materials". That way I can narrow my search to a few brand names and than travel to check them out. Thanks

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-28-2013, 03:46 PM   #2

From my experience and observation, I would suggest that all Class C's in the '90's range will leak. It is not an "if" issue, but "when."

So, which will provide the "least likely to leak?" - Sorry, I know of none.

A several hour search of this site and the owner forums of the brands you mentioned, will provide you with a wealth of information. And that's when the real work begins.

Good luck.

Just my humble opinion.

GL Arnold

Old 08-28-2013, 07:39 PM   #3

leaky class c

Well from my searching thus far, I believe the born free or coach house , all fiberglass would be least likely to leak. But floor plan doesn't work and they are few and far between.

Next, those with fiberglass roofs mated to fiberglass end caps would be next least likely to leak. I have found one, Callista Cove by Carriage, but certainly there are others. Can anyone help me out in this category?

If they are going to leak I would like alum. structure or steel. Can anyone tell me the brands that use alum or steel for structure instead of wood.? That would help. Certainly this forum has owners that have such structure.

Thanks
Old 08-28-2013, 07:57 PM   #4

That is a difficult question to answer. There are too many variables, such as care and maintenance, where and how stored, how used, etc. All manufacturers use the same materials and techniques. What you will find here is opinions not based on data. Worry less about whether it will leak and more about carefully inspecting a prospective purchase for wear and tear and how it has been maintained.
Old 08-28-2013, 08:08 PM   #5

I agree with bearaboo. It's all about maintenance. No one brand is better than another when it comes to leaks if it wasn't maintained. If you have a $100K coach and no maintenance and a $20K coach with tons of maintenance the less expensive one will be better. Once you find the coach that fits your needs have it inspected, either by a paid professional or by a friend who is knowledgeable, and then make sure you go through the entire coach and bring it up to date.
Go Dawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 08:28 PM   #6

I agree that a very careful inspection of the unit and the records would be able to uncover any significant leak damage. Further inspection, mantenance, and repair could prevent it from becoming an issue.

From my own direct experience with one or more, but obviously not all models from

Coachman
Forest River
Four Winds
Thor
Winnebago

Is that they both leak when not carefully maintained, and do not meet the construction criteria you listed. A unit stored indoors may not have much damage if it was not maintained perfectly. Despite the active folks on this forum, many class Cs only get used a few weeks a year. Finding a stored unit in that age bracket might be easier.
Old 08-29-2013, 07:04 AM   #7

Thanks for the replys. I'll just have to keep digging. I had hopes that someone could give me some names associated with the various construction techniques I had noted, than I could eliminate some from the search. Of course one might find a pristine wood frame model but would expect that to be pretty rare. Thanks
Old 08-30-2013, 02:14 PM   #8

Appreciate all the replys but it is too hard right now. I have decided to step back, take a deep breath and see what the winter brings. Again, thanks for all the information. I'll be 80 Sunday and this old fighterpilot is going to rethink the motorhome route.
Old 08-30-2013, 05:39 PM   #9

I see your from Florida but If you have any chance of finding a Leisurecoach or an Oakland they are outstanding quality, built by Bigfoot with vacuum bonded construction these are Canadian built and I can't speak high enough of them
Old 08-30-2013, 07:00 PM   #10

In my opinion, probably the best C would be a well-maintained Lazy Daze.

G L Arnold
Old 08-31-2013, 07:35 AM   #11

We did look at a Lazy Daze and they are well constructed. Floor plan didn't work however. Thanks for the information.

Tags
class c, leak