Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-05-2011, 08:56 PM   #1

1994 Fleetwood Jamboree Searcher 28 info

Hi to all!
Just signed up on iRV2. I'm new to RVing. As a matter of fact my sole experience with an RV has been with a VW Westfalia (T4) in Germany. I have fond memories of that trip!
I've been a sailor for a while and decided to trade machines. I came across this not so nice 1994 Jamboree 28 on a E350 chassis powered by a Ford V8 460. There is a number of issues I need to get resolved, starting with some roof leaks. Apparently somebody has done a very poor repair using one of the rubber paints in the market. The problem is, that is has bubbled up. I guess they did not wait long enough for moisture to dry out or simply did not prep the surface properly. In any case this has to be done again. I already bought new vents, including the one for the fridge. These are all dry rotted and falling apart.
Well...my question is the following: What is a good source for parts and accessories for the RV. I don't mean mechanical parts, but mostly body parts like trims, hatches, screens, blinds, etc.
The electrical needs some attention but does not concern me too much, as I have good experience on boats (electrical and electronics on boats is what I do for a living) and systems are very similar.
I'd also like to know if using 10 ply tires instead of the 12 ply would be OK. The vehicle had a nice variety in different calamity stages so I need to replace all 6 tires (ouch!).
Lastly, does anybody know where I can get a good owner's manual for the RV? I have one that came with it, but it's generic and vague, not very specific. My main concern is the propane system, as this is something I'm not too familiar with. Boats usually use propane for the stove with a 12V remote solenoid valve, safety sensors and that's about it.
Well, thanks for this great forum. I have spent countless hours reading threads here so I figured it was time to get onboard.

Later!

Leo

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-07-2011, 02:08 PM   #2

Thor Owners Club
Leo....
WELCOME to the forum... Start a thread in the "NEW MEMBER" check in forum. A lot of people look there for unanswered posts. You might try separate questions in different forums for answers to your specific questions. You can also use the search function to search the old posts, for lets say the manuals... Sorry I can't be of more help, just wanted to make sure you were greeted Best of luck ...D

Lemon and Tucker the Pups
Dixieray53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 01:32 PM   #3

Read the sticker in the drivers door jamb.

I'd be very surprised if it even called for 10 ply tires in the first place.

Most E350 chassis' called for 8 ply tires, with even just 10's the ride goes downhill considerably, with 12's it would ride like an empty dump truck.
Old 10-11-2011, 08:13 AM   #4

Lightbulb Thanks!

Thanks for the welcome and advice. I will check the NHTSA label and see what the certification says. The tire shop installed two 10 ply in front and just about to get 4 new ones for the rear, so will check this for sure!
After doing some research (and looking at the VIN/title) I verified my RV is not a 28 but a Searcher 29Z. Live and learn...
I've been working on a few mechanical issues including brakes, exhaust manifolds (missing gaskets...) and basic maintenance. After this it will be time for some good scrubbing, cleaning, etc. Then resealing the roof, new vents and hit the road! Will see how that goes.

Thanks again!

Leo
Old 11-13-2011, 08:45 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
I just a week ago got a 94 Minnie Winnie that has some of the issues you describe. Mainly the exhaust manifold on the passenger side. It appears to have a brand new one on it but the bolts were so loose I could turn them with my fingers. I'm assuming that I burned through the gasket coming home in it. (243 miles) It also has a little skip, hoping a major tune up with fix this, but it might be an injector too............. just sayin.
Other than that we are going to update some of the interior and just decide if RVin is our cup of tea or not.
Old 11-14-2011, 07:20 AM   #6

Thanks for your comments! Our Jamboree (it's actually a 29, not a 28...) it's still at the shop. They had to remove one of the heads to be able to remove a couple of the exhaust manif studs broken inside. Not in a huge hurry, but would like to take advantage of the incredible weather we're having down south...I'm also a sailor and I know patience is key.

Good luck with your new Minnie Winnie and I hope you enjoy RV'ing! I hope I can do that soon!

Leo
Old 11-16-2011, 07:11 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by lbangerter View Post
Thanks for your comments! Our Jamboree (it's actually a 29, not a 28...) it's still at the shop. They had to remove one of the heads to be able to remove a couple of the exhaust manif studs broken inside. Not in a huge hurry, but would like to take advantage of the incredible weather we're having down south...I'm also a sailor and I know patience is key.

Good luck with your new Minnie Winnie and I hope you enjoy RV'ing! I hope I can do that soon!

Leo
Are you going to put something like Doug Thorley headers on it or go back stock? I think if I went that far, having a head pulled, I'd have the headers put on.
Who did you get to do it a Ford Dealer or private shop?
Old 04-14-2012, 08:41 AM   #8

Problem Solved

Quote:
Originally Posted by m2oh3 View Post
I just a week ago got a 94 Minnie Winnie that has some of the issues you describe. Mainly the exhaust manifold on the passenger side. It appears to have a brand new one on it but the bolts were so loose I could turn them with my fingers. I'm assuming that I burned through the gasket coming home in it. (243 miles) It also has a little skip, hoping a major tune up with fix this, but it might be an injector too............. just sayin.
Other than that we are going to update some of the interior and just decide if RVin is our cup of tea or not.
Just some quick advise. I have a 1994 Jamboree with a 460 as well. I could not get the skip out of it to save my life (Full tune up, wires cap rotor plugs TPS, etc etc. The answer to the problem was the Distributor and module. I replaced both items, which cost me under $100.00 and she is running beautifully again. Just thought I would share.

Tags
fleetwood