Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-19-2012, 10:50 AM   #1

1997 Tioga Wiring Help

I inherited by Dad's 1997 Tioga MH. It has been siting for awhile and so I am trying to bring it back in to a usable state. I have been working on the electrical system. I can plug the MH in to shore power and all the 12v lights, microwave fridge work just fine. As soon as I unplug I have no power. Here is what I have tired so far.

I replaced the battery (it was over 4 years old)
I replaced the battery disconnect switch with a new one (Intellitec 01-00055-00)
I replaced the switch to the battery disconnect

Some background. It seems the previous owner (or my Dad I am not sure) put a screw in to the battery disconnect switch to keep the switch in the "Aux Battery Position". Also I noticed and removed a jumper across the two poles of the battery disconnect solenoid.

I am stating to question if the wiring setup hasn't been changed/jury rigged. I cant seem to find a wiring diagram for my MH to check though. Anyone have any ideas of what it should look like. Or some quick tests I can run?

The battery compartment is really dirty I have some pictures if they will help.

Thanks!
Evan
Thorinman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-19-2012, 11:55 AM   #2

Here is what I have worked out so far as how it is wired currently. Anyone have any ideas where the wires with questions marks might go?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RV Wiring Diagram.jpeg
Views:	3299
Size:	43.9 KB
ID:	30734  
Old 12-19-2012, 05:55 PM   #3

I have a 92 Fleetwood - probably wired similar to yours. Unfortunately it's too cold/rainy for me to pop the hook and take a look right now - but here's my best guess.

Coach battery and Chassis battery are separated via a solenoid/relay - pretty similar to this Amazon.com: Tekonsha 7000 12 Volt 3 Terminal Battery Isolator: Automotive. The battery isolator is energized when you turn the ignition key. The solenoid also acts as an emergency start relay and in my rig their is a switch that when depressed energizes the solenoid. These types of solenoids make an audible click when energized.

The rig comes with a intelitec battery disconnect relay - http://www.pacificrvparts.com/Produc...968&RP=Default operated via a toggle/rocker switch that also make a distinct click when operated. When this solenoid is triggered it takes the coach batteries off line - but if your plugged into shore power the converter should still provide power to the DC distribution panel (just won't charge the batteries).

The converter connects to the coach battery via a auto reset circuit breaker - which then connects to the intellitic solenoid which I think then continues to the coach side of the battery isolator which then connects to the positive side of the coach battery. Not sure but I think the generator also connects to the coach battery via a similar route.

If your not getting power when your disconnected from shore one of the likely culprits is a bad auto reset circuit breaker - mine look like this Amazon.com: Bussmann CBC30HB Circuit Breaker: Automotive Check the two terminals for continuity - they tend to deteriorate with age/moisture and if they go toes up nothing works.

Hope this helps

Kevin
ksg5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 11:29 AM   #4

Here is an updated diagram.

I tested the voltage at the battery disconnect and it was 12v which the rocker switch was up and negative voltage when it was down. I believe this is the correct behavior. I started to suspect the solenoid, even though it appears brand new. I removed the solenoid and connected everything from both poles together. I got power. Now my questions is what could be wrong with the solenoid or could it be that I am wiring it wrong. Shouldn't 12 volts across the two terminals cause the solenoid to open/close? Do you need to have the poles hooked up to power for the solenoid to operate?

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RV Wiring Diagram.jpeg
Views:	15081
Size:	50.8 KB
ID:	30777  
Old 12-20-2012, 03:16 PM   #5

http://www.flemingsalesoem.com/intel...5322019100.pdf
ksg5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 09:09 PM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I may be wrong but the solenoid has 2 big terminals and 2 small terminals. 12v on one of the small terminals and ground on the other connects the big terminals together, 12v on the other small terminal and ground on the first small terminal, disconnects the big terminals.

You said earlier that you removed a jumper across the terminals, maybe the solenoid is bad.

Right now on my MH the chassis disconnect relay is bad, I have it jumpered across. If I want to disconnect my chassis battery, I have to remove the ground cable at the battery. It has been this way for almost a year no problems.
06 Hurricane 34FT WH W20 Chassis 8.1L 132K, Steersafe, Koni Shocks, DIY Trac Bar, Tri-Metric 2025RV Battery Monitor, 4-6V Batteries, Scan Gauge 2, Crossfires, 735W Solar Morningstar MPPT-60, WG T4 In-Motion Sat, XM Radio, 07 Chevy Malibu Maxx Toad, Falcon 2, Brake Buddy, Escapee
mgscott4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 08:34 AM   #7

Mine is similar t as mgscott4 mentioned above, except my solenoid only has one small terminal which is the control lead from a switched-with-key power supply.

As soon as the engine starts power to the small terminal closes the connection between the heavy terminals which are heavy lead from alternator and heavy lead to house batteries. My 'emergency' switch just connects to the same small control terminal to link all 3 batteries together.
Old 12-25-2012, 10:03 AM   #8

Call Fleetwood. I have a 2004 Tioga and I called them up and they emailed me all the wiring schematics and plumbing schematics.
68westfalia is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
wiring