Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 07-24-2013, 02:54 PM   #1
1st time motor home owner

On Monday the 29th of July we will take delivery on our 2013 Thor Four Winds 28Z 29 foot motor home. We have never had one before.

Does anyone have hints on what to inspect in addition to the 2 hour indoctrination class that will be given to us on a one on one basis?

Any hints or help would be greatly appreciated.

WenWes is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-24-2013, 04:11 PM   #2
Gulf Streamers Club
it is highly advantageous for both of you to be extremely critical of everything you are shown. if there is any damage or anything that doesn't work or look right then this is the best chance you have to get it rectified. If you have the strength, do not drive it away if something bothers you. I failed miserably at this, try to be strong.
it's good to do everything yourself. let them show you the first time by all means but each of you do it once or twice so you can at least compare your recollections after.

Think of the coach as a collection of systems and try to follow that system throughout the coach. i.e. 12V coach battery bank, battery disconnect, 12V fuse panel & supplemental 12V switches if there are any. 12V fuses and what they control. What is powered by 12V. how is it recharged on shore power and on generator. same for 110V and for systems that require both 12V (for igniters/thermostats) and 110V as the main power source (AC, fridges, heaters).
other systems on top of 12V & 110V, water: service & tank, sewer black & grey tanks & dump system. TV, antenna deployment & switching, cooking, heating, cooling, shade & slides. the list goes on.
Search for some RV checklists online. these tell you what you need to check before a trip but they work just as well as what you need to know.
I can't go into everything in enough detail, I doubt I would remember it myself. If you are taking someone with you who is familiar with an RV, DO NOT depend on their say so unless you'd trust them with your home.

Above all be strong, and don't take any CR*P. REALLY, if something disappoints either of you, if you feel the urge to shrug about something and deal with it when you get home. Take a breath and ask them to fix it and inform you when it's ready.

jpf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 05:29 PM   #3
First time

I thank you for the information. It has led me to some other sites on the internet and one can be flabbergasted as to the information that is there. There is no sense in being uninformed today for sure

Wendy and Wes

Old 07-24-2013, 05:38 PM   #4
National RV Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Highly recommend videoing it if you have a camera, if not take lots of notes. You will forget probably half of what they show you. When you take control of it use it as much as you can in that first month to reinforce what was shown you. Good luck and be safe in your travels.
Benicia Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 05:56 PM   #5
Read the owners` manuals and then read them again. Have a working knowledge of the systems. Know where in the manuals to look if you have a question.
Flyboy757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 06:14 PM   #6
Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I think if you are a first time owner 2 hours might be a bit short on the PDI,, 2 DAYS might be better.

Pay very close attention to the location of the converter, and ALL FUSE BOXES.. I missed one on my PDI, thankfully I discovered it... Exactly one day before I blew a fuse in it.
Home is where I park it!
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 06:59 PM   #7
Purchase something else the fiberglass sides are glued to chip board or for the lack of the correct name they call it (sawdust ) glued together. The entrance door does not open all the way on most models .the decals? Are bad about bubbles showing up after a couple of month's . Look for 110 wall plugs you won't find many .the people that build four winds must not have ever spent one night in a rv.
swampdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 11:57 PM   #8
Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I've had no problems w my Four Winds Majestic. The entance door opens fully and hooks nicely to the outer wall if I want. The bathroom door opens fully as well.

Ours has been well used and so far so good everything holding up well.

I have two 110 outlets in the bedroom, one in the bathroom, two in the kitchen and one in the living/dinnett area .

Oh and one in the overhead bunk area. How many more do I need? Lololol
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]TheDogNPonyShow - Bellingham WA USA
Road Home of BlackFyre Arabians & Belgian Shepherds
"Love what you do, Do what you LOVE!"

2006 Four Winds 28A, Ford V10, E450 Toad 2000 Geo Tracker.
DogNPonyshow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 01:03 AM   #9
National RV Owners Club
My pet peeve is always plumbing. Check to make sure that hoses and such are routed properly and not stretched or pinched. Make sure the faucets and such don't leak improperly either. Don't know why but MH manufacturers always seem to use such cheap fixtures.
1999 - National Tropi Cal
sirpurrcival is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 03:29 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus
Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
On your PDI don't be afraid to ask questions.
Bruce & Nancy
FMCA F280542
2004 Bounder 35E
US Navy Vet.
Bruce C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 10:12 AM   #11
Thumbs up First Time

We, Wendy and Wes, would both like to extend our thanks to the numerous replies in regards as to what to look for when the PDI is done on our new motor home.
We will continue to check back and see if there are further eplies.
Old 07-25-2013, 03:46 PM   #12
Gulf Streamers Club
hope everything went well.
jpf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 04:26 PM   #13
Thor Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Having something to check off will save you a lot of time. I found this one and just modified it for my particular unit

Bring a 120 VAC outlet tester
Note pad and pencil
something 12 volts to test the AUX outlets
A mechanics creeper helps to view the underneath
Tire pressure gauge

Factory manuals accounted for
Verify all items on bill of sale.
Spare set of keys

Inspect roof: Paint okay, solar panel, through-the-air TV antenna, radio antenna, dual LNB on the satellite dish, sealant around through-the-roof items, A/C covers painted, refer vent cover painted.
Inspect underneath: Is it undercoated okay? Are there Bilstein shocks? Look for loose wires. Try to see if it was lubed.
Check sealant around the outside of the windows.
3M Front Mask. Look for bubbles and fit. Does it go all the way down under the front bumper or stop short where lower paint could be damaged?
Check clear coat for flat spots (not polished), orange peel, and laps (runs).
Check for scrapes, dents, or scratches but be reasonable.
Are all exterior lights working? Check turn signals, ICC lights, back-up lights, porch light, docking lights, check smart wheel, etc.
Do all exterior locks work?
Do bay doors, engine door, generator door, front door, and screen door work okay? Check rubber seals around these items. Check alignment of the locks so they close properly.
Carefree awnings over LR/Dining, Bath, and Bedroom.
Check tanks: propane, fresh water, gray, and black.
Check windshield washer fluid. Antifreeze?
Does the audible back-up alarm work?
Do all the keys work (deadbolt, front door, bays, etc.)

Get the tire chart (inflation pressure vs weight) for the tires.
Check the date on each tire.
Check for correct air pressure.
Mud flaps on all 4 wheels?
Front disc brakes, rear drum brakes, six-wheel anti-locking mechanism.

Check oil
Run the Onan generator. Put a load on it.

120v/12v/TV plugs.
Do all bay lights work? Where is the master switch?
Do all bay locks work?
Is it a 1000-watt inverter?
Water filter with 2 filters.

Locate all slide-out room switches and run them.
Do all slide-outs work smoothly? Do rollers press on the tile so it might break? Does the carpet hinder its movement in the bedroom? Are adjuster counter lock-nuts tight? Any sign of torque twisting? Any loose bolts?
How do you manually retract the slides?
Check automatic locking mechanisms.
Check slide-out room seals. Use a flashlight at night or the orange-cord work light.
Check for leaks if it rains.
Look for water spots and stains.
Verify correct leveling process when slides are in and out.

Locate the disconnect switch for the coach batteries.
Locate engine battery disconnect switch.
Is there a locking battery disconnect switch inside the coach?
Does the battery maintainer work? Check the green light. ON = Okay.

Is everything labeled correctly?
Fill and drain tanks to set gauges.
Does the flush valve work?
Run stuff in utility bay (light, water pump switch, electric, sewer, telephone, cable).
Check water pump operation.
Is there a sewer hose compartment? Is there a sewer hose?

Run the sun visor up and down.
Does front privacy curtain draw easily across the front window? Does it close properly in front?
Do all the features work on the 8-way cockpit seats?
Test both seat belts.
Check to see that each switch works correctly, including switches at passenger seat.
Check Smart Wheel features. Do ICC lights work?
Run backup camera. Check audio.
Check steering column adjustments.
How do you use the emergency start switch?
Run the dash A/C to make sure it is wired correctly.
Run the dash heater and defroster.
Run windshield wipers.
Run dash radio and CD player.
Check surround sound. Are all speakers working?
Run both TVs. Use through-the-air (raise and turn the antenna), cable, satellite.
Run the DVD.
Run both dash fans.
Run the 3-way mirrors. Does defrost work?
Start generator from dash switch and any other switch.
Run exterior step.
Open and close the passenger dash slide-out workstation.
Check the NCC weight tags.
Check recommended tire pressures on the weight tags.
Check the dashboard gauges.
Does the engine compartment covers on floor open/close okay and seal well? Do they lock in open position?

Check wallpaper. Does it cover everywhere? Is it tight at seams?
Are all mini-blinds working okay? Do they hang straight?
Open/close all windows. Do they work okay? Do they lock okay? Do all have screens?
Do all door and cupboard handles work okay?
Locate and test smoke alarm, CO detector, propane detector. Locate their sensors.
Are all receptacles working okay (120 volt and 12 volt)?
Do all switches work okay?
Check to see if all lights work from all switches, including map lights and gem lights. Where are the mood lights?
Two Halogen lights, with a dimmer switch, above the dinette table
Look for scrapes and mars on the woodwork but be reasonable.
Locate fire extinguisher.
Check all cabinet doors (open/close/hang straight/do latches work).
Check all drawers (smooth pulling/do latches work). Are they all full-extension glides?
Are all adjustable shelves in place.
Look for broken A/C vents
Run the 15,000 BTU roof A/Cs. Do vents work easily so you can turn the air flow off and on? Does front/rear interducting work?
Check for water line/connection leaks (two sinks, shower, toilet, washer/dryer, Aqua Hot radiators, sewer bay).
Check tank gauges. Adjust them?
Check heater on fireplace.

Does surround sound work?
Locate seat belts.
Check woodwork under sofa. Is anything missing or broken?
Locate all remote controls

Run stove Corian cover over it.
Run Convection Microwave
Test the water pump switches.
Run faucets. Are hot and cold okay?
Does faucet sprayer work?
50/50 Corian sink. Are there two side-by-side recessed covers that are level with counter.
Check caulking near kitchen sink.
Norcold 4-door refrigerator. Check ice maker. Are all shelves in it? Does it run on both gas and electric? Check interior temperatures for freezers and refrigerator.
Run Kool-a-Matic fan at fan switch and at thermostat.

Flush toilet. Use the toilet sprayer. Can water be added to toilet without flushing? Is the toilet water from the cold water line?
Run faucets hot and cold.
Check caulking near bathroom sink.
Check for calking around top of shower.
Check shower head spray.
Run both Fantastic fans.
Run washer/dryer. Check for leaky connections. Does dryer vent outside?
Are there two shelves above washer/dryer?

Look under mattress Is the table there for between seats? Are there prop rods in place?
Check hidden compartment behind TV
Circuit breakers. Identify each circuit.
Three decorative bed pillows

DGShaffer is offline   Reply With Quote