Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-14-2014, 03:46 PM   #1

Question 1st time RV buyer 2015 Coachmen RV Freelander 32BH or 2014 Thor ACE 30.2

New 2015 Coachmen RV Freelander 32BH Vs. 2014 Thor ACE 30.2

Not sure if we should stick with a Class A or if Class C's are OK. Heard that they were under powered. We live in CO so will be doing a bunch of passes so lots of climbing in altitude. We plan on towing a Jeep Rubicon if that helps. Thanks in advance for any advice. Want to make the right decicion and not newbie mistakes! Probably cross-posting in Class A forum unless not allowed.
corvfamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-15-2014, 02:00 AM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Forest River Owners Club
Welcome
Be sure to look at the GVWR on the units against the net off the assembly line weight figure to determine what weight capacity you have for you and your many things. C's can be closer on limits.

Paul
Big Dog House On Wheels
2013 Coachmen Freelander 28QB
on 2012 Chevrolet 4500
Using iRV2 app
B D HOWie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 05:01 AM   #3

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Check out the Coachmen Pursuit line if you are looking at the ACE. The pursuit can be had with or with out bunk house.
rgmiller32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 05:24 AM   #4

Solo Rvers Club

Glad you're aboard. Best of luck in your decision. Enjoy your adventures and be safe.
Retired & perfecting procrastination!
DieselTech39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 05:37 AM   #5

howdy
homeless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 08:10 AM   #6

Glad we aren't the only ones with this dilemma we have driven both types. Leaning toward another Class A. I loved the drivability of the C, but was not as fond of the storage limits both in terms of the tanks and cargo. Feel the A is better for a growing family. In my search on various threads I have seen a lot of class C owners post their satisfaction with power, even when towing in the mountains- although some have done tunes or mods to get improvement over stock. Good luck to you.
jdoran1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 11:37 AM   #7

Hi! Thanks for the welcome. It is such a big decision! We are leaning towards a class A. My husband is set on the ACE line although I have seen some others I like better. I am also a little weary about Thor after reading some threads on here.
corvfamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 07:52 PM   #8

Our friends have a new Ace and are very happy after a round trip from MI to Sturgis towing a HHR.

I'd suggest a Thor Super C for power & cargo carrying but ours has been down in Elkhart having many issues attended to.

I like the idea of the super C and am optimistic all will be well.
Hat-Trick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 03:11 AM   #9

Thor Owners Club
Alpine Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I live in the PNW and travel all over North America in my Class C to go to dog shows. My V10 powers me over even very steep climbs with no issues.

I went with the C because my Hubby didn't want more than 30' and the C gave me more sleeping space than an A plus not many options in A's under 32'.

I also do Like having two queen beds. When I travel w a friend I can put them in the overhead.

If Hubby never traveled with me which is always to National Forest camps and places you want more compact I'd go with an A for more cargo weight allowances.

Tags
coachmen, thor