Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-03-2014, 12:41 PM   #1

2001 Class C - Engine Issue Help Needed

hello all,
2001 Fleetwood tiago class c gas 31w.

bought it 2 years ago, has 41000 miles now, had 31 when I bought it. im the 3rd owner from new. I have changed all the fluids a few times, new belts, rad flush, the whole 9 yards for maintenance. (no plug change only)

up until about 2 months ago you could start it and it would fire in 2 seconds. the last 4 times I go to start it, and it was 90 degree outside to, it takes 15 seconds to start, it all sounds the same, nothing sounds wrong, it does fine, except it has went from a 2 second start time to 15 IF it has set for 24 hours or more without starting it.

batteries are good, fuel filter was changed 6 months back, no issues except the 13 seconds longer to start when it has sit for 24 hrs or more. it starts right up if I fire it again in a hour, 6 hours,etc...cant be a fuel pump as it would do t all the time and perhaps not even start, doubt its the plugs as it only does it after 24 hours of no start, any suggestions, is it anything, lost on this since it only dies it as stated and only then, cant even say its normal as this just started a few months back. HELP

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-03-2014, 08:37 PM   #2

My is a 1979 Fleetwood Tioga. Has the Dodge 440 motor. Has only 90,000 miles and is in great shape. I use to have serious hard starting issues. Had to use starting fluid everytime. Then one day it wouldn't start at all. Then folks here on the form suggested I replace the ballest resistor and ignition control module. "Check the spark they told me". Replaced the resistor and ignition control module. Whola!! Now it starts right up and will drive anywhere. So check your spark. Make sure you are getting fuel and spark. If you have a component in the spark system going bad, then these things become notorious for hard starts.

Old 11-06-2014, 10:10 PM   #3

2001 should have fuel injection and computer. You can take it to a real service garage and they can scan the computer, while the extended cranking is going on. That should help tell what is happening. You may have fuel pressure problem for example.
38Chevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 10:29 PM   #4

Sounds like your loosing fuel pressure in the fuel system over time. Try this, turn key on for 3 seconds. Turn key off and pause a few moments. Turn key on for three seconds again and then start. If the engine starts right up like it used to than the fuel pressure is bleeding off slowly. The fuel pump in the tank has a check valve built in and another in the fuel pressure regulator. If an injector is not leaking, I dont think any problem will pop up if you can live with the longer start times. Again, make sure you do the key on and off with the 1st start of the day.
stink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 12:53 AM   #5

update- more help please

ok, so here is what is weird. I start rv and it runs fine now, I use the turn key and wait a few secs, then start. does fine, even without the delay sometimes. here is what is weird, it can delay starting even after it has just run 2 hours ago...not sure on this one
Old 03-07-2015, 10:05 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldogs101 View Post
ok, so here is what is weird. I start rv and it runs fine now, I use the turn key and wait a few secs, then start. does fine, even without the delay sometimes. here is what is weird, it can delay starting even after it has just run 2 hours ago...not sure on this one
Still sounds like a fuel pressure loss. Depending on the leak the loss can happen in just a few minutes and also be intermittent. Suggest installing a fuel pressure guage, warming up engine and shut off. Monitor guage and pressure should hold for days.
stink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 02:25 PM   #7

Believe Stink. Dollars to donuts he got it.

Matt
Old 03-11-2015, 04:30 PM   #8

Spark or fuel, I x3 on Stinks' advice.
Old 03-12-2015, 12:03 PM   #9

Where are you located? The last "few months" has been very cold/wet. You may have got some water (condensation) in the gas. It's not going to just help the startup and may even hickup as you're driving at very slow speeds. Since water doesn't mix with gas, it can sit at the bottom of the tank for a very long time. I would suggest some "Heet" (yes, spelled like that) from wallymart. It's Methanol and will suspend the water into the gas so it goes through the system. It's cheap and can't hurt to try it.

Todd157k is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
class c