Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-13-2014, 09:26 PM   #1

2001 Winnebago

My wife and I just bought a used 2001 Winnebago Minnie with 31K miles. The previous owner is quite elderly and hasn't used the RV much in past few years. He did have it garaged for storage. We took it to a local Ford/RV shop and paid to have it gone through with a Oil,filterand lube and replaced brakes to include one "burned and frozen" caliper. The tires are in great shape but sadly of various ages: all old. I am looking for some recommendations on tire brands. It would appear that most tires available locally are the same price. I am thinking about either Cooper or Firestone. I have read some on the necessity for proper weight to inflation relationshipand I will be working the formulas. Right now I am seeking a brand or two that will give me good service. What say you?

RobinJ in Tustin, CA
RobinJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-14-2014, 07:00 AM   #2

A lot of people will tell you Michelins, but I have found my Coopers to be very good tires. Put 4 on the back last summer before or trip (5700+) miles and not an issue. After you put tires on make sure your rig is loaded and go get it weighed. If you can't get all 4 corners get the front and back weighed or at the least get the entire weight. Then look at your manual for inflation pressure or check online. I have an 03 Chateau 26Q and weigh under 12000 and have 60 in the fronts and 65 on the duals. That's what my manual calls for at that weight. Be sure to check your belts and hoses also.

Good Luck and enjoy
Go Dawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 08:03 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by awarnes View Post
A lot of people will tell you Michelins, but I have found my Coopers to be very good tires. Put 4 on the back last summer before or trip (5700+) miles and not an issue. After you put tires on make sure your rig is loaded and go get it weighed. If you can't get all 4 corners get the front and back weighed or at the least get the entire weight. Then look at your manual for inflation pressure or check online. I have an 03 Chateau 26Q and weigh under 12000 and have 60 in the fronts and 65 on the duals. That's what my manual calls for at that weight. Be sure to check your belts and hoses also.

Good Luck and enjoy

I agree, I had Coopers on my first Class C, then Michelins on my next. Both were good. The Michelins were the LTX but I don't remember the model of the Coopers. Until you weigh the rig (with everything in it-the way you would go camping), inflate to max cold pressure with all six tires. Check the sticker on the driver's side door jamb or the Winnebago placard inside.

Congrats- you got a great rig!
puttin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 02:39 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinJ View Post
... I am thinking about either Cooper or Firestone. I have read some on the necessity for proper weight to inflation relationshipand I will be working the formulas. Right now I am seeking a brand or two that will give me good service. What say you?

RobinJ in Tustin, CA
hi Robin,

We put E rated Coopers on our 1991 Lazy Daze to replace the 18(!) year old Michelins that were on there when we bought it.

We went to America's Tire in Mission Viejo and they did it all in an hour for a great price.

Of course the new tires ride perfectly and we've put a couple thousand miles on them already, most recently to Quartzsite, Arizona and back.

Everyone says you need to change the tires every 6 to 8 years anyway, due to aging, so I don't see any advantage in spending twice as much for Michelins (especially with their recall problems).

-Bill
Old 02-14-2014, 03:37 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Not much of a recall problem, the letter they sent said 200 failures in 1.2 million, how many other companies will replace all your tires free of charge for that failure rate or even be honest enough to admit that there was even a problem. Not really seeing where Michelins cost twice as much, but the warranty and customer service is probably twice as nice. You even posted that the tires on your rig were 18 year old Michelins, pretty good endorsement I think.

Not Bill
milasman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 06:44 PM   #6

Well, first of all, Michelin is not God and I don't hold tire companies to idol status. I have had Michelin many, many times and never got better service from them than any other major tire brand. (I may be unfair in my resistance to buying tires of dubious quality made in China or other low-cost countries)

Second, the tires on my rig were literally falling apart. They could not be driven on more than a few miles and an inner-rear blew out on the way to the tire store. The previous owner drove the motorhome 8,000 miles total in 14 years of ownership.

Lastly, everyone should buy what they like but for me I had no reason to spend double the price to get Michelins over Coopers.

Robin asked about Cooper and they have been making tires in the US for a long, long time.

Thanks.
Old 02-14-2014, 07:12 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Never compared any tire to God. Tell me one tire company that isn't out sourced to another country? Cooper moved to India. Never said Cooper and Firestone were bad, and they have had their fair share of recalls. Michelin backs their tires as they just replaced seven for me free of charge, kinda cuts the original price in half and I got seven more years.

No thanks.
Old 02-14-2014, 10:09 PM   #8

Cooper, made in America

Cooper Tires - Made in America at txtire.com
Old 02-14-2014, 10:25 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Dated two years ago. India deal did fall through, but Consumer Reports rates current auto and truck tires on its subscription-based website,dividing them into nine different categories based on performance type and weather. The site gives Michelin the highest overall marks in five of the nine categories,often citing the brand's durability and performance as key factors.
Old 02-16-2014, 09:42 AM   #10

Tires for my Winnie 331C

Great Info on the Michelins and Coopers. Also I can see that load weight vs tire inflation is critical. I will continue to monitor this thread until end of month and then plunk down the green. I really like the service and staff at local Firestone store but don't know how they will be for RV tires. The local Cooper shop, Allen Tire in Orange, also has Michelin and is a full blown tire shop with the high bays and multiple lifts. They tell me they do sell a lot of Coopers to the RV 'r. The question about Cooper is can I get service and adjustment on the road like I can with Firestone? It is not just the investment but also the security of a name brand. I have a mid May trip planned to Utah, New Mexico and Arizona and a possible long distance trip to circumavigate Lake Superior in the Fall. I am originally from MN and my wife is from Michigan's UP yet neither of us has been all the way around the Lake. Should be a great adventure. Thanks to all that responded and I hope more responses to come.

RobinJ

PS A tip of the hat to Larry G a fellow traveler I met in Pachanga RV park last weekend. He sure does know his stuff and was a real help to me as a rookie RV'r. He recommended this site and he was spot on. I can't believe his Monarch with an 18' completely equipped shop trailer behind. WoW! Smooth sailing to Texas.
RobinJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 11:04 AM   #11

Outdoors RV Owners Club
PM sent
SoCalAngler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 06:42 PM   #12

Not sure what your situation is...If you are a "full timer" and doing a lot of driving, then pay the money for the Michelins. (awesome tires) If the rig sits half the year why spend more than you need to on tires that will ultimately stale date anyway?

Tags
winnebago