Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-18-2012, 03:19 PM   #1

2005 class c 31 ft jayco ambien burning rubber smell and floor is hot

When we drive our class c coach the floor feels very hot. Lately there is a smell of burning rubber. What could be going on? We are fairly new to RVing. We are not handy and on our last outing had a breakdown on an entrance ramp on I-75 in the middle of Georgia. AAA towed us and had Ford 450 engine fixed throttle body replaced. We haven't used RV in 5 months and are thinking of selling it. How do you find a good mechanic? We don't like Camping World they charged us $300 to reset generator!
Robinrogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-18-2012, 07:19 PM   #2

Georgie Boy Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robinrogo View Post
When we drive our class c coach the floor feels very hot. Lately there is a smell of burning rubber. What could be going on? We are fairly new to RVing. We are not handy and on our last outing had a breakdown on an entrance ramp on I-75 in the middle of Georgia. AAA towed us and had Ford 450 engine fixed throttle body replaced. We haven't used RV in 5 months and are thinking of selling it. How do you find a good mechanic? We don't like Camping World they charged us $300 to reset generator!
Robin sorry you are having this issue. Have you asked your auto mechanic who he would recommend? I noticed I typed RV into my smart phone and it came up with RV medic for repairs in my area. Good luck. Could it be the exhaust system??? If the heat is on the floor. Just a thought.
Fancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 06:50 AM   #3

It can be difficult if not impossible to find a mechanic you can trust or a company that will not overcharge. I know you say you are not inclined to do much on your own but if you stay on this site and READ as much information about your make and model you will be suprised to see how much you can safely do on your own. it is not hard at all to save thousands by learning the basics on your coach. You could read your owners manuel and it would tell you how to locate all of your breakers and reset them. This would have saved you $300.00 to reset your generator. If you have a ONAN 4000 the reset is near the oil fill for the GEN. You need to read and learn how to check you OIL levels in your GENERATOR and ENGINE to avoid major problems. Change your OILS on time if not sooner, Onan shows every 150 hours of use, I do it myself every 40 - 50 hours.

As far as your burning smell if it is up front, get down on the ground on your back and look for any oil leaks or signs of wear on the tires. Look for anything rubbing on the tire.

If it is coming from the back I just had this problem on my 2008 and the burning rubber smell was caused by a piece of rubber that the factory installed to keep road material from hitting the under side of the coach body. This piece of rubber broke loose and was touching the tire, as it heated up it would cause a burning smell . Since I was on the road I pulled it off and when I finished my trip I ordered an new one and installed it.

If I went to a repair shop they would have to take the time to figure out and then charge me to fix the problem and they are in business to make money just as we are. Regular maintance is the only way to avoid many problems older units face.

I hope you don't give up on the RV life it is worth the effort.
RELHUB is offline   Reply With Quote