Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-14-2014, 03:09 AM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
2007 E450 30.5' Sway, Sway Sway...

On my 2007 Class C Fleetwood Jamboree GT w/ E450 and 30.5 feet, I get pushed/pulled, road pulls the steering wheel and a lot of white knuckle experiences. I have 2-slides on the drivers side and the coach leaned to that side.I replaced the left rear spring because it had about a 2” sag.When I took it off and compared it next to the replacement spring the old spring looked like a mountain range and was flat/had a ¼” downward bow to it. The new spring had a nice healthy arch to it. I’ve added a 1-1/2” Hellwig Rear Sway Bar, Rear Air Bags, Bilstein Shocks and I still have the same issues. I spent $450 on a front end alignment that took all day and still crappy handling. Yes it is better but I still can’t take my eyes of the road for 1 second.Heck, a VW bug will push me.

I think my next step is going to replace the RR spring, the 2-front coil springs and replace the front sway bar with Hellwig’s 1-3/8” sway bar.

I think the biggest issue is these chassis just aren’t built for the load/size of the box they carry.

Your thoughts and input would be Greatly Appreciated.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-14-2014, 09:28 AM   #2

But, concerning the alignment, where is your caster set? The specified caster range is from +1.5 to about +7.5. Some inexperienced alignment shops will say +3.5 is mid range so it is good to go....NOT SO!!! You want to have the +caster set to be 5.5 to 6.5 at least.

Here is a link to my experience in 2011.

E350/E450 Handling Problems are caused by too little + CASTER

Old 10-14-2014, 08:53 PM   #3

I have a 32ft Gulfstream on the E450 chassis and all I have done is have a good front-end shop put 5.5 positive castor in the front end. My rig drives almost as good as my wife's 2010 Toyota 4 Runner. I do feel a little "push" when a semi passes but not uncomfortable
Old 10-14-2014, 10:25 PM   #4

Ford Super Duty Owner
We have a 2005 e450 chassis with about 24' 12,000 lbs total weight (i.e. a coach house platinum 232). It is very tall and wide. Driving the thing home (4 hours) from the dealer was an horrific experience on the interstate! Just as you indicated with your rig, I had noticed the exact same issues! The next week, and after installing a "steer-straight" kit (about $450 and 2 hours easy labor) onto the front steering assembly rods and frame, AND pumping up the rear air suspension to 80 lbs (manufacturer suggested pressure for my rig weight) VOILA' = "problem solved"! Drives as easy as a standard medium pickup truck, no sway, no leaning, and stays straight when passing or being passed by other rigs! i wish i could remember what the brand name was, but maybe searching online for key words might get you information on a steer straight afer market kit. Oh, yeah, the new shocks did not significantly improve anything for me nor did it solve the swaying issues! (but it did give a almot-noticeable smoother ride). i agree that a camber inspection/adjustment should be performed but, in the end, you will need a steering adjustment/modification or after-market kit(s) for complete satisfaction in solving that problem.
Old 10-14-2014, 11:36 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harvard View Post
But, concerning the alignment, where is your caster set? The specified caster range is from +1.5 to about +7.5. Some inexperienced alignment shops will say +3.5 is mid range so it is good to go....NOT SO!!! You want to have the +caster set to be 5.5 to 6.5 at least.

Here is a link to my experience in 2011.

E350/E450 Handling Problems are caused by too little + CASTER
The front end shop said they put 6 degrees positive caster. He said we couldn't add anymore caster because the bushings were getting thin. I had a hard time finding a shop that could do the alignment due to my tire size being 16". I wish I could find someone around Charlotte, NC. Everyone I called said tires were to small to get on the rack or the garage door was to small.
Old 10-15-2014, 07:05 AM   #6

Quote: "The front end shop said they put 6 degrees positive caster"

This is very interesting.....so, how much weight is on the front axel?

For a comparison, my 2004 28 foot weighs approximately 4300 lbs (max 4600#) ( 2 occupants).

By the way all E350 and E450s have 16 inch wheels so I am not sure how that discussion entered your experience with the alignment shop.
Old 10-16-2014, 06:55 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harvard View Post
Quote: "The front end shop said they put 6 degrees positive caster"

This is very interesting.....so, how much weight is on the front axel?

For a comparison, my 2004 28 foot weighs approximately 4300 lbs (max 4600#) ( 2 occupants).

By the way all E350 and E450s have 16 inch wheels so I am not sure how that discussion entered your experience with the alignment shop.
Hey Harvard, Not sure about the front axle weight. I guess I need to go get it weighed...Several of the truck shops said the 16" wheels were too small to get them on their racks. I called several Ford dealers and local shops and they said rack was to short or garage door to small to get me into the shop. I wish I could find a good local front end shop that I can trust...
Old 10-16-2014, 08:40 PM   #8
RRR

Ford Super Duty Owner
No one has said the obvious, to me anyway, check your tire pressure. I need to run the maximum pressure in the rear, 80 psi, and have the fronts at 65 or 70. Can't remember which.

I have an 07 Forest River Sunseeker 2860 DS on the E-450 that is the same length as yours. Did the Hellwig sway bars on both ends. Made a huge difference.

I got a little run-a-round on the alignment thing too, till I found an old hand that knew exactly what I needed. Wish I could recommend him to you but I doubt that you want to drive to Oregon for an alignment. I do think he was half the price, or less, than what you paid for though.
Old 02-17-2015, 11:27 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Well after much debate and spending way to much time and $$ at several alignment shops, I broke down and purchased the RR spring, the 2-front coil springs from SD Truck Springs. I went to the next step up from stock equipment. I also replaced the front shocks with Bilstein's and replaced the front sway bar with Hellwig’s 1-3/8” sway bar. So now we have Bilstein shocks on the front and rear, upgraded rear springs to the 43-1339HD 7,200 lb 10 leaves springs and Extra Heavy Duty Front Coil Springs TTC-2815, Hellwig's Sway Bars on Front & Rear. NOW we drive better than my wife's Toyota Highlander! Finally I can drive and carry on a conversation.

The old leaf springs were so deformed they had a reverse bow to them.

Fleetwood sent me some update stickers for the load capacity which basically told us we could have a full tank of gas but could not carry any fresh water or have any black or grey water in our tanks.

The shame to all of this is FLEETWOOD purchased an undersized chassis for this 31.5' load and in the end stuck the RV owner with the repair. Shame on Fleetwood...

Old 02-18-2015, 07:11 PM   #10

Ford Super Duty Owner
I also have a E450 29 ft. Rv no slides. What kind of mileage are you getting?
Old 02-18-2015, 11:34 PM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by coyotebrooks View Post
I also have a E450 29 ft. Rv no slides. What kind of mileage are you getting?
We get 8.5 mpg running 60 and under.
Old 02-19-2015, 08:02 AM   #12

Having over 6 degrees of caster is a good thing but not in itself the total answer. Glad to hear you have tamed the beast.
Old 02-19-2015, 06:22 PM   #13

I have just learned to hang on a WHOLE lot tighter!!! 😡
Old 02-19-2015, 07:36 PM   #14

Send a message via MSN to Maligator
We bought a '98 E-Superduty (F450) with a 31' Georgie Boy Maverick coach on it last year. Being my first motorhome, I was a bit shocked by the amount of sway I felt on the first trip. Especially with wind or 18 wheelers passing.

I had considered doing all new shocks and springs but decided against it mostly due to cost but also because it only had 29k on the clock. I decided to try just installing the Hellwig sway bars on it to see if it would help.

Help it did! I classify it as night and day and similar to what the poster above described like driving an SUV. A very big SUV, but you get the idea! IMO, the sway bars are a good bet if you are on a budget and want to fix the sway without replacing pretty much the entire suspension.