Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-29-2011, 06:00 PM   #1

2008 Ford Factory Warranty

Hello all! Just joined this site, excited about being a member! We just traded our fifth wheel and got a 2008 Four Winds Chateau 32' Class C with a Ford 450 Chassis It only has 6,000 miles on it and I called Ford to see if there was any factory warranty remaining, there was, but the start date she gave me was April 2007 (she said that was when the unit was built) Which is great the RV dealers didn't mention it at all, but I can't help but asking is that normal? Shouldn't the warranty begin at sale date not build date? Any help or info would be appreciated!
ukwildcatfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-30-2011, 12:28 AM   #2

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
My 2011 was built on a 2010 Ford chassis. I hear many class Cs are built on the previous year trucks. Maybe they buy the leftovers at a discount?

In a different situation, I got to the top person who would answer my call and then asked for the name and phone # for the regulatory agency that oversees their business. She said she would call me back with that info. Instead, I got a call 15 minutes later resolving the problem in my favor. Every indusrtry has some sort of oversight agency. I suspect just having a complaint on file brings down bigger problems than what they have to do to prevent one.

I'd suggest that you find out the original sale date and that dealer's name. Call Ford back and tell them you expect the warranty to be calcutated from that date. Ask to speak to a higher level until you find the person with the power to say yes. Make sure you get names and titles. Take good notes or record the call, but make sure you tell everyone you are recording the call.

Good luck!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
okmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 09:10 AM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
Send a message via Yahoo to Davinger
Generally speaking the start date of a warranty on any car or truck is from the date that it is titled for the first user. If you buy a used car that still has some of the factory warranty left on it the start date is the day that the first person took ownership of it.
I just bought a new 2011 Jayco Greyhawk 31FS. It had about 1500 miles on it when I picked it up. The cab was built in May of 2010. Since I bought it new for warranty purposes the Ford warranty starts from the pickup date and any mileage that is on the coach that was put on it prior to the date of my acceptance of the vehicle doesn't count against me.
When buying an extended warranty the same rules apply the warranty start date is the date of the original purchase. So if you bought it used you only have the power train warranty. If you bought it new the dealership should have the warranty start date changed and you will have the 3 year 36,000 mile warranty bumper to bumper and the 7 year 60,000 power train warranty.
Another thing to remember is that if you get the 5 year 100,000 mile warranty from the RV dealership that generally does not include the chassis. You however can visit your local Ford dealership and purchase one that covers your chassis.
Again the effective start date is from the date of the original purchase.
I hope this helps.
Davinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 09:21 AM   #4
Community Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukwildcatfan
Hello all! Just joined this site, excited about being a member! We just traded our fifth wheel and got a 2008 Four Winds Chateau 32' Class C with a Ford 450 Chassis It only has 6,000 miles on it and I called Ford to see if there was any factory warranty remaining, there was, but the start date she gave me was April 2007 (she said that was when the unit was built) Which is great the RV dealers didn't mention it at all, but I can't help but asking is that normal? Shouldn't the warranty begin at sale date not build date? Any help or info would be appreciated!
Same story here. MH was built in june 2007 and titled in July 2008. Ford had the warr. date as june 2007. After speaking with them, they were kind enough to contact Fleetwood to verify and
changed the start date to July 2008.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 08:15 AM   #5

Thanks everyone for the help! Right now I have contacted the original dealer and they are supposed to be submitting purcahse info, so hopefully we will get a few more months of warr. I'll keep you updated
Old 08-31-2011, 08:47 AM   #6

Ford Super Duty Owner
Send a message via Yahoo to Davinger
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukwildcatfan View Post
Thanks everyone for the help! Right now I have contacted the original dealer and they are supposed to be submitting purcahse info, so hopefully we will get a few more months of warr. I'll keep you updated
Since you are getting a 2008 coach and if they give you the 3 year 36000 mile bumper to bumper warranty I would highly recommend that as soon as you get that verification that you go to your Ford truck dealership invest in a 7 year 100,000 mile warranty for the chassis. Another bit of advise is to pay the nominal fee to remove the deductible. After your 3 year 36K warranty expires you have to pay $100.00 per trip. If you pay generally around $200 to $300 more you can come as often as you like and not pay a cent for the whole time and remember the miles you have on it wont count against you.
Davinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 08:50 AM   #7
Community Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davinger

Since you are getting a 2008 coach and if they give you the 3 year 36000 mile bumper to bumper warranty I would highly recommend that as soon as you get that verification that you go to your Ford truck dealership invest in a 7 year 100,000 mile warranty for the chassis. Another bit of advise is to pay the nominal fee to remove the deductible. After your 3 year 36K warranty expires you have to pay $100.00 per trip. If you pay generally around $200 to $300 more you can come as often as you like and not pay a cent for the whole time and remember the miles you have on it wont count against you.
I believe the Ford warr. on my 08 is five years.

Old 08-31-2011, 09:17 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by clifftall View Post
I believe the Ford warr. on my 08 is five years.
I think you will find that is the power train warranty. The warranty on the complete chassis and power train is 3 years or 36,000 miles (at least that is what is on our 2011).
Old 08-31-2011, 09:35 AM   #9
Community Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Shadow

I think you will find that is the power train warranty. The warranty on the complete chassis and power train is 3 years or 36,000 miles (at least that is what is on our 2011).
Your statement us somewhat confusing. My power train is covered for 5/60,000. The 3/36,000 is for the " vehicles body sheet metal" which of course doesn 't apply to MH's. I no longer just believe. I just checked my warranty guide. Maybe things changed in the 2011 year.

Old 08-31-2011, 09:39 AM   #10
Community Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by clifftall

Your statement us somewhat confusing. My power train is covered for 5/60,000. The 3/36,000 is for the " vehicles body sheet metal" which of course doesn 't apply to MH's. I no longer just believe. I just checked my warranty guide. Maybe things changed in the 2011 year.
It just may be that the v10 in a class C is different than the one they put in a class A. The warranty may also be different.

Old 08-31-2011, 09:42 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by clifftall View Post
That is the point I was making. If the door on the glove compartment falls off, or the windshield wipers break, they aren't part of the power train and will not be repaired under warranty after the 36,000 three year full coverage has expired. There are still a lot of items not considered part of the power train, thus the need to stress "power train" for the 5 year warranty.
Old 08-31-2011, 09:47 AM   #12
Community Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Shadow

That is the point I was making. If the door on the glove compartment falls off, or the windshield wipers break, they aren't part of the power train and will not be repaired under warranty after the 36,000 three year full coverage has expired. There are still a lot of items not considered part of the power train, thus the need to stress "power train" for the 5 year warranty.
I am not familiar with your MH but on mine Fleetwood buys a stripped chassis from Ford and adds everything else including the glove box and windshield wipers.

Old 08-31-2011, 09:58 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukwildcatfan View Post
Hello all! Just joined this site, excited about being a member! We just traded our fifth wheel and got a 2008 Four Winds Château 32' Class C with a Ford 450 Chassis It only has 6,000 miles on it and I called Ford to see if there was any factory warranty remaining, there was, but the start date she gave me was April 2007 (she said that was when the unit was built) Which is great the RV dealers didn't mention it at all, but I can't help but asking is that normal? Shouldn't the warranty begin at sale date not build date? Any help or info would be appreciated!
This is normal in the industry if you are the second owner.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 03:58 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davinger View Post
Thanks again for all the advice. From what I understand, the only warranty we will qualify is the remainder of the 5yr/100,000 mile powertrain warranty, so we will be covered until September 2012. Right now we are waiting from the original dealer to send Ford the actual sale date and then all should be good!

Tags
ford