Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-12-2013, 08:36 PM   #1

2012 jayco greyhawk mh no spare tire?

I recently purchased a new 2012 Jayco Greyhawk MH and realized that the they did not put a spare tire or mount under the MH, anybody know why they don't put a spare tire on their MH's ?
ozzypd95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-12-2013, 08:52 PM   #2

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
It's called Coach-Net.

Mine never came with one either.
If it is a concern to you, you could buy a spare for your new RV and find place to carry it.
Old 02-12-2013, 08:59 PM   #3

I'm going to install one underneath since there is plenty of room, I just thought that purchasing an 80G MH they could throw in a spare tire.
Old 02-12-2013, 09:01 PM   #4

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Yea I thought the same thing when I bought mine. Strange thing is I have a tire iron but no jack!
Old 02-12-2013, 09:36 PM   #5

Wow, no jack? I'm need to see if mine has a jack, haven't even thought about that.
Old 02-12-2013, 10:24 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
I'm not sure what type motorhome you have. I have a 38 foot diplomat. There is no way I am even able to change the tire.
The lug nuts are at 500 ft/lbs. you need a large jack to get the wheel off the ground. I had a tire changed. The service guy came out with his compressor and tools. It took him 15 minutes what would take me all day. I wouldn't even want a spare tire after watching them change the tire.
Gorlininc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 10:28 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Really, what kind of jack you gonna buy? Better think about something to break and retorque lug nuts.
milasman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 01:10 AM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I have carried an unmounted spare tire in a previous coach. ERS can readily swap the tire for you, but not nessisarily keep you from paying too much for a tire on the road or having a trip delayed while one is located. Having a spare keeps these things from happening.

My current coach included a mounted spare carried under the rear between the frame rails.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 01:31 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
I guess you may move on faster. I guess I'm not in a rush to go anywhere. Btw these guys can remove a tire from a rim and put a new one on the rim in minutes. So you really don't need the wheel, just a tire. In an emergency. Any tire would work for me.
Old 02-13-2013, 06:49 AM   #10

One idea I saw recently was to carry a spare TIRE only. No wheel. When the service guy comes he takes off the old tire and installs the spare on the wheel. Items can be stored inside the spare tire to save space....and pray you never have an occasion to have to use it!
Old 02-13-2013, 07:05 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Hi Larry.

Ok. It makes sense to carry just the tire. But they do take up a lot of room. I agree. I hope it never gets used.
Thanks
Rick
Old 02-13-2013, 09:23 AM   #12

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
My last flat was a total pain. The State trooper called the truck stop guy guess what he only deals with Class A size tires. He said if I had a tire he could have swapped it in 5 minutes. Called another guy he said he would have to check for tire in the mean time we limped down route 66 at 10 mph. Headed for Wally World just incase it was a bust for him to have tire. Called us back after going 3 miles down the road had tire he came (I swear it was Willie Nelson that pulled up.) and got us fixed and going 10 mintues later.I swear it was Willie Nelson that pulled up. It cost me 50 bucks for a 10year old tire but got me the last 50 miles home. NOW we carry unmounted tire in rear bay thats 4 years old. I also carry a 12 ton and 4 ton bottle jacks with the stuff to get tire off if need be.

This all was before I learned about this forum and the 7 year rule about tires. Now all 8 are new within 3 weeks of each other on date codes. Found out we had driven 1200 miles on 12 year old tires with LOTS of armor all.
Conquest102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 09:51 AM   #13

Carolina Campers
Hey Ozzpd95,
Welcome to the Jayco family! We own a 2011 Greyhawk. Here is a link that someone posted on the JOF. This spare tire install was put on a Melbourne but it should work on a greyhawk as well. We haven't done this mod yet but plan to later when we retire and being those long trips.

Adding spare tire to Melbourne 29D

If you haven't already joined I recommend the JOF as well as IRV2 forum.

Kettrell
skstrickland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 08:13 PM   #14

Thanks everyone for the feedback, especialy the link and photos from the JOF, this has been very helpfull.