Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-30-2013, 10:41 PM   #15

I take it that you don't have the 5 Star.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-30-2013, 10:52 PM   #16

Fleetwood Owners Club
Not any more.

Old 03-31-2013, 07:32 AM   #17

The Ford V-10 is a high revving sweetie. She thrives on high RPM and will do the job every time. As for losing momentum on a hill, (any engine will struggle until the optimum RPM is reached again). That is what I hate about truckers using both lanes in the mountains of Tennessee. They can't pass each other and cause you to loose momentum. Bummer!!
Old 03-31-2013, 11:53 AM   #18

Fleetwood Owners Club
Concur.
Old 04-01-2013, 07:35 AM   #19

Carolina Campers
For us personally, the Class C suits us perfectly. We tow a Jeep Wrangler all 4 down(3600 lbs) and don't even know it's back there. I would highly recommend you research a tire pressure monitor system and invest in the system that you're most comfortable with. Hope to see you around the campfire.
Old 04-01-2013, 07:50 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by milasman View Post
5 star over rated. If you are pullin 5000 lbs., the Ford V-10 is gonna pull high RPM when climbing steep grades. Designed to do so, max torque is around 4000 RPM.
I have the 5-Star program on my 2008 E-450 Ford powered Winnie 31C... I tow a 2008 Wrangler 4 down. Before the 5-Star I constantly hit the 4000-4200 RPM range when pulling even moderate hills. Since the addition of the 5-Star driving the same hills I don't hit those high ranges as soon nor for the long durations. My experience with the 5-Star is it works.

I had taken a slight hit to gas mileage when I started towing the wrangler. I got some of that back on long hauls. The engine does not seem to work as hard either. I am one who's experience with the addition of the 5-Star has been positive and would do it again.
Old 04-01-2013, 08:01 PM   #21

Fleetwood Owners Club
About the same as turning the tow/haul mode off?
Old 04-01-2013, 08:28 PM   #22

Quote:
We have a five star tune in our Newmar and I would hate to part with it. I tow with a GVWR of about 25K with a max of 26K. I usually turn the cruse off in the hills, as that helps a lot with the high RPMs. And I run with the tow haul on most all the time as it helps any time with slowing down and does wonders in the mountains. Our dealer only sales Jayco and Newmar, I wanted a Jayco but after looking at the Newmar class As, just couldn't do it. If I ever buy another Jayco, which was our first RV in 1994, it will be an Entagra!
Old 04-02-2013, 12:51 AM   #23

Quote:
Yes and no. With the "tow/haul" mode the trans only uses 4 speeds instead of 5. The 5-Star adds the 5th speed into the equation. Thus changing the shift timing and keeping the RPM's lower. It also changes the shift sequences when the "tow/haul" is off. The overdrive stays engaged longer without the high rev kicking in at 3rd gear and RPM's kicking up to 4,000+. Goes into 4th at around 3,200-3,500 instead. This saves gas on those long steep climbs as well as the moderate rolling hills.

It also allows me to use cruise more even in the hills. I was not a believer until I used it. Have over 9,000 miles with it and there is a huge difference over the prior 8,000 miles.
Old 04-02-2013, 05:32 AM   #24

Appalachian Campers
iRV2 No Limits Club
We have the 2012 and the high RPMs really took getting used to. Towing something small winds it up a little more but it can handle it. I rarely drive over 60 though which also takes getting used to as speed limits in the southeast are usually 70 so I normally drive around 80. Over 60 in the RV just feels reckless.
Old 04-02-2013, 09:16 AM   #25

Fleetwood Owners Club
Pretty sure you can still get to O.D. with tow/ haul engaged.
Old 04-02-2013, 11:20 AM   #26

Quote:
Pretty sure you can still get to O.D. with tow/ haul engaged.
Ford programmed their 3v V10 trans to only use 4 gears when "tow/haul" engaged. They dropped the overdrive from the programming. Before installing the 5-Star I took my coach to the dealer because I noticed this and thought there was an issue with my trans. It was explained to me this was normal. The 2v V10 does not have the tow/haul option and uses all gears.

I further researched this and if you look at the spec sheet for the shift sequence of the 3v V10 you too can see the difference and the missing 5th gear OD in the tow/haul mode.

5-Star corrected this for me and made a world of difference. The 5-Star works for me. I travel down the road at 60-62 mph and here in the west I am in the mountains a lot. My travels are much smoother with the 5-Star.
Old 04-02-2013, 11:31 AM   #27

Fleetwood Owners Club
I have a 2012 E-450 with tow/haul and I am pretty sure O.D. works when engaged.
Old 04-02-2013, 12:07 PM   #28

Quote:
I have a 2012 E-450 with tow/haul and I am pretty sure O.D. works when engaged.
Look again. Ford's "tow/haul" mode is what most manufactures call "overdrive off". But hey if yours still had overdrive when in "tow/haul" mode you got yourself a great set up.

Tags
towing