Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-31-2013, 09:43 AM   #1

2014 Aspect Class C Steering

Hello from Tom in Mississippi. Just bought a Winnebago Aspect 30J. Question is how to improve steering so as not to have coach going all over road. It also has big wind rush when 18 Wheelers pass. I pull a 2005 Jeep Wrangler on a Blue Ox Hitch.
We haven't gotten it completely loaded, but driving back from dealer couldn't get it to steer straight wanted to go all over the road.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-31-2013, 10:45 AM   #2

It is under warranty. Don't try to do anything yourself, or have a 3rd party work on it... You may give them reason to void warranty. Most likely it was not aligned after all the "rv work"[ box installed], was completed. The chassis itself may not have been aligned when it left "ITS" factory. Tires may be unevenly inflated. Give the dealer a chance to fix the problem.

Old 12-31-2013, 11:38 AM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Plenty threads on this.
Old 12-31-2013, 11:44 AM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Welcome to IRV2!!

Be sure your tire pressures are in accordance with the factory recommended settings. Makes a big difference.
pagosajoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 08:33 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by milasman View Post
Plenty threads on this.
Study up on Positive Caster and the effects of driving with too little.

Check this thread out:

E350/E450 Handling Problems are caused by too little + CASTER
Old 12-31-2013, 11:35 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
First thing is to get thee RV weighed loaded fro travel. Make sure neither axle is over loaded. Adjust tire pressures to meet load requirements.

With the RV loaded, take it to an independent truck alignment shop and get the alignment set correctly.

Your next step will be HD Bilstein shocks on all 4 corners and larger anti-roll bars with urethane bushings.

The Ford chassis is prone to bump-steer due to the side to side swaying. The stock shocks and anti-roll bars from Ford are pretty whimpy and do not do the job with a loaded chassis.

Ken
Old 01-01-2014, 12:19 AM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ugh....
Old 01-01-2014, 02:59 PM   #8

Check tire pressure.
Inflate rear air bags if equipped.
Are pulling a toad on a dolly. This will lighten up the front end.
trucks and side wind is a problem with all MH's A or C class.
Load more to the front axel.

After market chassis is not always needed.
some roads are rutted. Making handling difficult at times.
2010 Ford Flex
rvten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 07:49 PM   #9

First and foremost - check air pressures and ensure rear airbags are too.

I found that when pulling my Acura TSX on a my tow dolly helped alot.

However, I also took the advice of this forum and went and had my front end checked out and aligned. My 2014 only had 2000 miles on it. And as this forum guessed, the alignment was not in spec. I don't have the settings in front of me that they aligned too. I did take some recommendations from this forum that they(front-end_ mostly agreed with. It does 'seem" to drive better but we haven't gone any where since I had the front-end serviced a few weeks ago. Our next trip is 3 weeks....to New Orleans which will be 300+ miles down the interstate. Will pull the Acura too. Will be most curios to see if some of the sway is held at buy as I suspect it will be.

As also mentioned above, driving on the two lane roads are more difficult than the 4+ lane interstates. It's the nature of the beast.

Hope that helps.
cmalberto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 08:41 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
First thing is to get thee RV weighed loaded fro travel. Make sure neither axle is over loaded. Adjust tire pressures to meet load requirements.

With the RV loaded, take it to an independent truck alignment shop and get the alignment set correctly.

Your next step will be HD Bilstein shocks on all 4 corners and larger anti-roll bars with urethane bushings.

The Ford chassis is prone to bump-steer due to the side to side swaying. The stock shocks and anti-roll bars from Ford are pretty whimpy and do not do the job with a loaded chassis.

Ken
Ken is spot on. We did this to our 2006 Aspect 26A a year after we got it, and it drives like a car now. Seriously, I don't even consider wind a problem. I also keep my air bags inflated and water in the tank for the ballast. You should also pack it like you going on a trip and then take it to a scale and get it weighed. That will help you figure out how much air to put in the bags.
Old 01-06-2014, 10:22 AM   #11

Tom I really think you need to learn to dive the MH. Before throwing $$ at it.
Also when adding any chassis upgrades. I would do one at a time and see if that does help you. Rather than do a whole bunch at one time.

Everyone's handling will be different. Depending how they load and how and what they tow.

2010 Ford Flex
rvten is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
class c, steering