Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-11-2014, 10:04 PM   #1

2014 Dynamax DX3

We just made our first payment on our new Dynamax DX3. Put about 3000 miles on it in a month since we left RV America in Colorado where we purchased. The coach is beautiful and has power, one of the reasons we purchased it. Of course there is a laundry list of things that need repair. We all expect that. We have two major issues, one that has rendered our coach undriveable. To date the manufacturer will not take responsibility, even after a dealer they sent us to told us "we have problems that have to be corrected at the factory". I am planning a conference call with Mark from Dynamax again tomorrow. After that, I will be more than willing to discuss whether spending $225K on a Class C Dynamax is even worth considering.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-14-2014, 09:46 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by dozr View Post
We just made our first payment on our new Dynamax DX3. Put about 3000 miles on it in a month since we left RV America in Colorado where we purchased. The coach is beautiful and has power, one of the reasons we purchased it. Of course there is a laundry list of things that need repair. We all expect that. We have two major issues, one that has rendered our coach undriveable. To date the manufacturer will not take responsibility, even after a dealer they sent us to told us "we have problems that have to be corrected at the factory". I am planning a conference call with Mark from Dynamax again tomorrow. After that, I will be more than willing to discuss whether spending $225K on a Class C Dynamax is even worth considering.
What happened? What is wrong? Enquiring minds want to know...

Old 11-14-2014, 08:32 PM   #3

I will be following this as well. Good luck getting it sorted
Old 11-15-2014, 04:06 AM   #4

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Yikes! Hope you get a swift satisfactory resolution!

2006 Four Winds 28A, Ford V10, E450 Toad 2000 Geo Tracker.
DogNPonyshow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 10:34 AM   #5

Problem follow up

As I stated we have our typical laundry list of new MH issues but he have a few that are more severe. One major problem is many of our storage cabinets leak (severely). The doors are bent, not aligned correctly and several do not latch without putting a knee into them. You may think it is common and an easy fix. If you saw mine I would disagree.

The worst issue is the rear of our coach drags in many instances when we enter gas stations, parks, or shopping centers. Again this rig is just over 30 days old. We have physically pulled the fiberglass end cap away from the coach about 2 inches due to the problem. This is where I am having trouble reasoning with the factory. They say it is not their issue. There are many details I will not discuss right now. I will be taking it to the factory on Dec 15 for an inspection. They are being social but not willing to say we will make everything right no matter what it takes.

Ironically they have just changed the design putting a "dovetail" on the 2015's. I do not believe all 15's have the change. It you are in the market I would say it is a must.
Old 11-15-2014, 03:17 PM   #6

Stay on them Dozr. If they won't fix it right, introduce them to a good attorney. Seems to open the perfect line of communication.
Old 11-16-2014, 08:31 AM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
2014 Dynamax DX3

I'm always amazed that new RVs often have design and construction issues of this nature. One would think with the decades of experience that more of the kinks would be worked out via lessons learned from the past. Some issues can be related to availability of skilled labor and I anticipate employee turnover is far higher and pay much lower than compared to the auto industry. It seems that every one that rolls off the line is a beta product (think computer software) and the consumer is the beta tester for the manufacturer. Better oversight of the construction process, implementation of lean (continuous improvement) principles from the likes of Toyota, and parts supplier accountability would go a long way. The whole industry seems ripe for a good manufacturer to swoop in and transform it. In the long run, it would be cheaper for the manufacturer and yield happier customers to make these changes.
wanderso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 01:29 PM   #8

I'm real close to the techs. that work on many diesels engines, road and marine. All say that the Dynamax is a super outfit ,some what better in design than the PowerStrokes. I'm sure it will work out for you.
Old 12-07-2014, 10:47 AM   #9

2015 Dynamax DX3

We also ordered a new DX3 this past spring, and in August 2014 took possession of the MH. We were initially concerned about the rear overhang, so we ordered the 36' model. None of the brochures, nor any Web pictures I have seen showed a dovetail rear end. However, when speaking with the factory nearing the delivery date, it was confirmed that the dovetails were a new addition. Call it luck on our part, but looking at the spec's of OAL and wheelbase dimensions tells my that the longer 39' models are subject to potential dragging problems, even with a dovetail rearend. The DX3 has been fantastic for us to date. Yes, a couple of problems that I could quick fix. I attribute the lack of problems to great Pre-delivery inspection by the dealer.
Old 12-11-2014, 03:58 PM   #10

So is it true that Dynamax bought all the Embark tooling and molds from Jayco? The DX3 looks just like an Embark with the Dynamax name on it.
Old 05-20-2015, 04:40 PM   #11

Are there any updates on this issue as we were looking at them.
Old 05-21-2015, 12:01 AM   #12

A long rear overhang is endemic in the class C space. There are things you can do such as adding rear wheels to the back of the unit. I did this on our Class C to alleviate the dragging. It doesn't stop the dragging but does stop the damage caused by the dragging. Even Class A air ride coaches can suffer from front or rear clearance problems depending on the coach manufacturer and particular design. Unfortunately there is a trade off between good road manners, handling and clearance. If a manufacturer has designed a coach with lots of clearance front and rear the trade off is the coach will sit higher and be more subject to wind deflection than a coach sitting lower. In general class A units have less of a problem due to their design especially DP units however individual units may have quirks that are irritating. Unfortunately, most manufacturers believe that if you bottom out the rear of the coach when leaving a driveway or road it isn't their problem. This is true even if there is clearly a design problem. I recommend being polite and persistent with the manufacturer. At the same time i would file a claim with my own insurance company to get the unit fixed.
Old 05-21-2015, 08:35 AM   #13

Final Outcome

After many conversations and two trips to the factory, we reached an agreement with the manufacturer and our unit was repaired. As I stated, we reached an agreement it was not a total warranty.

I would not purchase a 39' DX3 that did not have the updated (dovetail) rear end. This means it has to be a 2015 and early one were not changed. We chose the somewhat pricey option of having ours disassambled and modified and have not had an issue since. Prior, it was a daily problem as we drive more than camp. Now I believe we own the only 2014 with a dovetail rear end and life is pretty good
Old 06-07-2015, 02:41 PM   #14

Do you have pictures and or more information on what Dynamax modified on your DX3?