Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 02-22-2014, 05:45 PM   #15
Originally Posted by Mich F View Post
Her new motor probably came with a 1yr towing/ road side assistance from Winnebago, administered by Coach Net. The ford van also comes with a five year road side assistance package. I had those two as well as GS road side assistance which I had before buying my newer MH.
I guess I jumped the gun on mine. If I can remember, my AAA bill came due, signed up for coach net - covered all cars in my fleet plus rv, thought it was a good deal. You are also correct also about Ford.

maxtgam is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-27-2014, 05:16 PM   #16
First Aid Kit. Flashlights. Batteries. Road-Side Safety kit.

Tools, Tools, Tools! DH should have a dedicated set of tools in the rig.

Set of pots, pans, dishes, utensils, knives and cups designated for RV only.

Games for the kids. i.e volleyballs, footballs, horseshoes, bean bag toss, board games for indoor fun, DVD's, etc.

Trash bags, hand soap, towels, toilet paper, extension cords, 2 water hoses (1 for potable water and 1 for non), tank drop-ins (if you use them), broom, dust pan, mop.

That is all I can think of right now.

Welcome to the RV world!

-Ron in SoCal

dsomonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 10:48 AM   #17
LOL My husband thought that I wrote this. Some details are off, but otherwise it was enough to make him read it a few times to be sure!

We are also heading off on vacation in our new-to-us RV. We've taken many weekend trips, just to get used to it. Some things that we have done is made sure that we are able to boondock with the same creature-comforts, like coffee inside! We bought a percolator, and have been trying to use it in the house. It will also work for tea and cocoa. I'm sure that sounds silly to some, but we've all got to start somewhere!

Our fantastic comes-with-everything-but speakers!!! in the house just adds to our "need to buy before going on a long trip" list. We have a large library of CD books and stories, and it's hard to share with the back seat. I'm still looking for something that won't break the budget - ipods are a bit pricy, and I don't know how Bluetooth speakers might connect and work. Then there is the battery issue of whatever I hook up. Suggestions are welcome. We thought of running speakers throughout the house, but were warned that the resell value might be affected. I'm not sure who wouldn't like them, but maybe that's me.

I am heading out today to buy a new battery to make the house lights last longer, along with all the hook-ups.

I bought some small tubs to help little legs not to dangle under the table. Previous trips indicate some knee and leg soreness.

I plan to double the tubs as storage for books, road activities, etc. We have previously stored such extras overhead, which makes it hard to get another book, etc. I have also used a foldable laundry tote to store said books, tissues, etc, but as it is foldable it gets bent around pretty easily, and the small tubs will work good for both storage and footstools.

For the bathroom, I keep baby wipes for when we don't want to use the water pump to wash our hands. It's also handy for a quick wipe down of whatever - sponge bath, counter tops, dirty feet, etc.

I love the ideas for laundry - put dirty laundry in a small tub (like above!) with water and some soap, and let the road do the agitating. I plan to buy something for the shower to use as a drying rack. I thought about an adjustable curtain rod, as I see that there is a bit of an edge in the shower I can hang it on. One of those nifty bamboo drying racks would be handy too, as I could move it outside when I need to, but unless I can find one at a yard sale they are crazy high priced. I did see a few links here, like kaboodledotcom, etc. I will use the folding laundry baskets for dirty laundry in the wardrobe area - makes it easier that garbage bags for stuffing and storing.

I appreciate someone's advice to take all food items out of original packing, if possible. The extra boxes mean extra space and garbage. Granted, if camping pits are available, the boxes make great kindling.

Yesterday Amazon had a free kindle book on foil-wrap campfire cooking. I plan to read it, after getting done with irv.com forums. (I might be reading on the road!).

For the kiddos, I plan to make sleep sacks with feet holes. Sleeping bags can get a little confining, especially for long trips and temperature fluxes. They can easily be used for travel warmth too. I keep slippers for everyone just for the RV.

I use my cell phone to play music all night. Even in a paradise, sleep doesn't come easy when not in one's own bed. Familiar music playing softly helps block out road noises and camping squeaks.

We walked around the our first campsite and looked at everyone else's set ups. At first I thought that the lights on the awning were visual extras, but every time I nearly bonked my head on my own awning I made a mental note to buy some too!
I also saw that most had area rugs outside their doors, and now keep one in the trunk. We use a very thin and cheap Walmart 8x12 rug, as it is light and easy to sweep. It has made a huge difference on the amount of leaves and dirt that makes it's way inside.

We bought leveling blocks, but have yet to use them. We need to practice at home before attempting at an inclining camp site.

!!!!!Keep your black tank valve closed until ready to go, or full. We've made that mistake and it's... gross! Won't do it again! I watched a video where they put dishwasher soap in the gray tank, to get swished around while driving to clean. I plan to do that for both gray and black tanks.

I will post a new thread about driving suggestions. My trips have been under five hours one way, and our upcoming will be several days long. Make sure that the driver gets to stretch their legs more frequently that they think they need. A National Park pass will help give motivation for checking out a new visitors center or quick loop trail. Don't let other drivers push you around on the road - if they want to drive badly, don't let pride or nerves ruin YOUR vacation. One long drive home through the Sisku pass, I was thankful to put in the extra time and drive at midnight. There were only a few big trucks on the road, but no cars, and I was able to drive comfortably until I reached a rest stop just outside of the pass. We got enough sleep, made coffee in the morning before hitting the road, didn't have to drive up and down hills with the sun in my eyes, and it was one of the best trips that I had taken in my many years through there.

Overall - have fun! That's what ya bought it for, right? An in-flight potty, complimentary kitchen and service with a smile, everyone cozied up at night in the rest stop/box store/camping/boondocking site. Build family memories, not blocked arteries. Go home happy, ready to do it again.
Jaimn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 12:51 PM   #18
If you go w/ Lynx Levelers you can get a stop chock (also made by Lynx). Helps you from rolling off the other end of the pyramid you built.

I have a Big Jambox for our music. DW and I both have iPhones so it connects very easily via Bluetooth - its nice to be able to take the sound inside or outside.

Get an awning mat so you have a clean place to sit by your front door. Get a collapsible side table for your awning mat. Have to put the beers somewhere when you're outside enjoying your investment.

I bought a SurgeGuard to keep my MH safe from electrical spikes. I also bought a Hughes Autoformer to keep me safe from voltage drops. Both are spendy items, but once you cough up the dough you'll be happy you have clean power. There are many threads on these items, feel free to have at it.

Get some spare light bulbs for your many overhead lights. I made the switch to LEDs, but its not necessary really unless you boondock a lot. I just wanted to have lights that wouldn't blow out/fail and lights that ran nice and cool. I no longer worry about having lights on in my rig if I'm not in it. These are particularly good but expensive: Elite Series Wedge Base Retrofit Bulb
2015 Jayco Greyhawk 29MV
s1njin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 01:27 AM   #19
Outside stuff brain dump follows....

First aid kit, awning mat, duct tape, small toolkit, rope or paracord, several tarps, 30 amp extension cord, several tubs/storage containers with lids and a couple of 3 gallon buckets for outside use (dishes, organizing campfire and outdoor kitchen items, washing dirty dog feet, cleaning fish), flip flops for public showers. I also carry four five pound weight plates (like for weight lifting) that I use to hold the edges of the awning mat down because stakes break, bend, and just generally suck. A plain old straw broom for outside use. Matchlight Charcoal because sometimes I don't want to start a campfire just to cook supper, and if you later change your mind the hot coals make starting a fire super easy. A sturdy fixed blade utility type knife (not a kitchen knife). Extra drinking water hose, sewer hose, water pressure regulator.

Inside stuff and other stuff brain dump...

extra USB charger for phones and kindles and whatnot, use vertical walls space for hanging storage. We screwed hanging shoe storage to the backs of all of our cabinet and closet doors; added considerable space with individual pockets for organizing lots of small stuff. Baskets will allow you to make the most of your storage space and they will keep stuff from moving around when underway. We bought a small Bluetooth speaker and paired it with our phones (an ipod would work too) so we can listen to music anywhere within about 30 feet of the speaker, outside or inside and we don't have to get up to change what's playing or the volume. Add a paper towel holder. Filter your water at the source not your sink. Even those cheap Camco filters work for that. Keep your tank valves closed until you're ready to dump.

There you have it. Not particularly organized not anywhere near complete but these items and ideas help out tremendously or at least they do for us.
tfiedler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 08:24 PM   #20
A small tub container for everyone's shoes at the door.

A couple of spray cans of paint, to sign the cars at the Cadillac Ranch on I-40 west of Amarillo, get a group shot with all the kids and their names and a date.

A sense of humor, and adventure that will be needed as any plan falls apart. Be flexible, and open minded to all that you can hope to see and experience.
Dave and Dolly
1998, 36' Foretravel, U295, rare mid door
2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee
sailwing2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 07:14 AM   #21
Fleetwood Owners Club
After adding all of this, be sure to get the rig weighed to confirm what you have left in terms of cargo carrying capacity or if you have exceeded it. . Ideally, weigh all 4 corners. Minimally, weigh front axle and back axle to confirm that you are not overloaded on any single axle rating. Many truck stops have scales.

History: '08 View, '05 Chinook, '01 Jamboree 24D, '78 Apache Popup, 81 Komfort Tlr,
84 Mazda B2000 'w canopy,
Tent from wedding shower in '96
wanderso is offline   Reply With Quote