Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-21-2014, 06:32 AM   #1

2014 Minnie Winnie first time owner

Hi everyone!

My husband and I just purchased our first motor home yesterday and are eager to take it out on the road. We have a new 2014 Minnie Winnie 31k. Traveling will be 2 adults, and 4 children under age 9.

We are busy purchasing items for the inside to make it a home away from home.

What are some things that commonly get forgotten when stocking an rv for the first time? Any advice is more than welcome!

Out first trip will be next week traveling from Corpus Christi , tx to Las Vegas, NV and several stops along the way
Llt8812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-21-2014, 06:51 AM   #2

The list is endless. LOL. I'd start with the safety things first. We carry a heavy duty air pump and a truck tire plug kit in case of a puncture. A tool kit, extra fuses, first aid kit, etc., etc.

Then functional things like an external water filter if your RV doesn't have an internal filter. Sewer hose, fresh water hose, black tank chemicals, leveling pads, etc.

The list goes on and on.
al2ride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 06:52 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
If your near a Walmart or similar store you'll never be with out. Things you may need.... Extension cord(s) , 30 amp Extension cord, Extra water hose(s), Sewer hose, Sewer donut or some type of connector, Electrical adapters - depending on where your camping and your RV electrical connection.
PM me if you have any other questions or post a new thread or post in this thread.
Happy Rving!!!
cc8375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 03:12 PM   #4

Welcome to the forum and don't forget a multi-tester.
rskrbina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 03:32 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by rskrbina View Post
Welcome to the forum and don't forget a multi-tester.
+1

and duct tape, and F4 tape.
Old 02-21-2014, 05:20 PM   #6

Congratulations on getting a new motor home. I have a 2014 Itasca 31K which is the same model as yours. I suggest you have your husband (or somebody) crawl under the motor home and check the area between the E450 frame rails around the kitchen sink area. He should be looking for any floor supports between the rails in that area. Mine (made in Jan. 2013) has a 6' span where there is no support. The floor is sagging in that area and naturally the sag is expanding. If yours is the same it's best to get it fixed before the problem starts. If yours doesn't have any cross pieces, it will sag. Winnebago/Itasca is aware of the problem and there is an easy fix. In my case getting the dealer to do anything has not been so easy.
Mich F is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 10:17 PM   #7

Wow...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mich F View Post
Congratulations on getting a new motor home. I have a 2014 Itasca 31K which is the same model as yours. I suggest you have your husband (or somebody) crawl under the motor home and check the area between the E450 frame rails around the kitchen sink area. He should be looking for any floor supports between the rails in that area. Mine (made in Jan. 2013) has a 6' span where there is no support. The floor is sagging in that area and naturally the sag is expanding. If yours is the same it's best to get it fixed before the problem starts. If yours doesn't have any cross pieces, it will sag. Winnebago/Itasca is aware of the problem and there is an easy fix. In my case getting the dealer to do anything has not been so easy.
Definitely will be looking into that ASAP !!! Thank you!
Old 02-21-2014, 10:19 PM   #8

Multi tester and f4 tape

Quote:
Originally Posted by al2ride View Post
+1

Ok so far I know what duct tape is... What are the other things ?!

Can they be easily purchased at an rv supply store?
Old 02-21-2014, 10:21 PM   #9

Awesome!

Quote:
+1

Quote:
Originally Posted by cc8375 View Post
If your near a Walmart or similar store you'll never be with out. Things you may need.... Extension cord(s) , 30 amp Extension cord, Extra water hose(s), Sewer hose, Sewer donut or some type of connector, Electrical adapters - depending on where your camping and your RV electrical connection.
PM me if you have any other questions or post a new thread or post in this thread.
Happy Rving!!!
These items I'm sure will prove to be lifesavers... None of which had I even thought of... We have a lot to learn!
Old 02-21-2014, 10:23 PM   #10

Quote:
The list is endless. LOL. I'd start with the safety things first. We carry a heavy duty air pump and a truck tire plug kit in case of a puncture. A tool kit, extra fuses, first aid kit, etc., etc.

Then functional things like an external water filter if your RV doesn't have an internal filter. Sewer hose, fresh water hose, black tank chemicals, leveling pads, etc.

The list goes on and on.
Wonderful ! Thank you, and I have no idea of what type of filters we have good things to add to my list of research!
Old 02-22-2014, 06:21 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llt8812 View Post
Ok so far I know what duct tape is... What are the other things ?!

Can they be easily purchased at an rv supply store?
F4 tape is actually self-vulcanizing/fusing tape. We used it a lot in the military. It's great for numerous things, but I mainly use it to wrap wire harness It's a rubbery very pliable tape that once stretched and overlapped it basically melts together. Duct tape is great for it's strength, but F4 tape is great for sealing.
Old 02-22-2014, 12:34 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llt8812 View Post
Hi everyone!
What are some things that commonly get forgotten when stocking an rv for the first time? Any advice is more than welcome!

I would also give a thought to a service like AAA, Good Sam's or as we have Coach Net. Just in case you have a problem on the road, and it does happen to new motor home. As for items, I am just about to place an order with CW for 8 more items. Seems like you will never run out. Just keep in mind, more items = more weight = poor gas millage.
I remember our FMCA rally, all the vendors, all the cool gadgets.

It would make an interesting event, if RVers got together and had a yard sale. Think of all the fuel we would all save
maxtgam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 12:43 PM   #13

Thor Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
The one thing I forgot my first time out was a water pressure regulator. Thank God the guy next door to me had an extra one that he lent me. I bought one shortly afterwords.
Old 02-22-2014, 01:58 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxtgam View Post

I would also give a thought to a service like AAA, Good Sam's or as we have Coach Net. Just in case you have a problem on the road, and it does happen to new motor home.
Her new motor probably came with a 1yr towing/ road side assistance from Winnebago, administered by Coach Net. The ford van also comes with a five year road side assistance package. I had those two as well as GS road side assistance which I had before buying my newer MH.
Mich F is online now   Reply With Quote